New owner of XR650L

10 replies to this topic
  • paul246

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:14 PM

I'm new to the dual sport category of ownership having just one "short" season on my new XR650L. I love the bike but am a bit frustrated with the overly lean carb settings. It got to the point that I couldn't even get the bike to start in sub zero temps (I still wanted to commute with it) in the latter part of the riding season. Full choke still wasn't rich enough to get the engine to start.

So, I've been looking around this site and have seen mention of the Edelbrock carb. Looks like the answer, but it is rather expensive, perhaps even drastic.

Before taking the plunge and ordering the Edelbrock I would like to hear of any recommendations of steps you would take before ordering one of these carbs. Also, are these Edelbrock carbs really that good?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:18 PM

I'm new to the dual sport category of ownership having just one "short" season on my new XR650L. I love the bike but am a bit frustrated with the overly lean carb settings. It got to the point that I couldn't even get the bike to start in sub zero temps (I still wanted to commute with it) in the latter part of the riding season. Full choke still wasn't rich enough to get the engine to start.

So, I've been looking around this site and have seen mention of the Edelbrock carb. Looks like the answer, but it is rather expensive, perhaps even drastic.

Before taking the plunge and ordering the Edelbrock I would like to hear of any recommendations of steps you would take before ordering one of these carbs. Also, are these Edelbrock carbs really that good?

Read about Dave's Mods. Worked like a charm, for me. :lol:

• kelleyseiler

Posted January 13, 2007 - 03:09 PM

http://www.violetinf...m/davesmods.wmv

Here is the video of what to do. It has helped many many people with the same problem.

• oldKTMer

Posted January 13, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Another vote for Dave's mods.... Made a huge difference on my "L"

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 13, 2007 - 05:55 PM

<<<<<<>>>>>>>
I haven't been able to get Dave's Mods to download completely for me so I can't comment on how they'd work but a cheap easy fix is a DynoJet kit. Slightly fat on a stock bike but starts REAL easy. My bike has a 102 bore kit mildly ported head w/Kibblewhite valves, a Hot Cam, and a Big Gun Quiet pipe and the jet kit is perfect for most all area's I've ridden (500'-7500' ASL). IMHO the stock Keihin 42.5mm CV carb is very forgiving and dependable as far as tuning and performance. With Edelbrock's rep I have no doubt it is a fantastic unit but for the price you almost have the price of a good pipe and a jet kit. I think these would give you more bang for your buck.
:lol: :confused: :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted January 13, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, paul246, You'd love the Edelbrock..:lol:

:confused: :crazy:

• Jman955i

Posted January 13, 2007 - 06:43 PM

http://www.violetinf...m/davesmods.wmv

Here is the video of what to do. It has helped many many people with the same problem.

Thats a great detail video, just one problem What size jets did he go up to. The needle look like it was raised 2 mm assuming 2 washers 1mm a peice.

• goblin127

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:10 AM

I was in the same boat,bike would'nt start in cold weather even after Daves mod's sooo I ended up putting a mikuni flat slide carb on and I will never look back. Starts in very cold weather anytime,runs awsome.

• frankiewhipit

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Save your money to buy a slip on & do the dave mods :lol:

• paul246

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:44 AM

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. A special thanks to Jman for posting the link to the video, I was searching all over the place and couldn't find it. One thing I noticed in the video is the fella didn't drill the two 5/32" holes in the bottom of the slide as indicated in Dave's mods.

Also, interesting to hear from oldchvytrx that the mods didn't address the cold start problem, but the DynoJet kit did.

Goblin127, which model Mikuni flat slide carb did you install?

And lastly, what is a "slip on"? I assume it must be an aftermarket exhaust, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. I won't be doing anything until the bike comes off warranty next summer, but I would like to know in what direction to move at that time.

• evomx971

Posted January 14, 2007 - 11:06 AM

I pulled the snorkel, installed a Uni airfilter, did Dave's mods, and installed a slip-on FMF Q muffler and could not be happier with how my 1994 "L" runs. Mine starts and warms up quick down to low 30's. Haven't tried it colder than that.

A slip-on is an exhaust system just consisting of the muffler and a pipe that "slips-on" to the stock head pipe coming off the engine. On the XR650L, you remove the stock exhaust at the clamp behind the frame above the right footpeg and that's where the aftermarket unit "slips on".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.