Dave's Mods...jetting question?

13 replies to this topic
  • jaredc28

Posted January 13, 2007 - 12:29 PM

93' xr650l, supertrapp, clarke 4.7, big bore kit, larger exhaust manifold, excel rims, de-smogged, k&n filter, 18,000miles.

Hi all,
I am planning on doing Dave's mods this weekend, and have read all the material and watched the video. The write-up says to replace the "main jet" and "slow jet", but it does not specify whith what. At the bottom of the page, it say's the jetting should be 55/158 at sea level, are these the new sized jets that I replace the old one's with?

Also, will my local Honda shop sell these new jets, or will I need to get them elsewhere? Price?

• goblin127

Posted January 13, 2007 - 12:55 PM

Those would be where most people start 55/158 for pilot and main jet size. If you were to change to an aftermarket exaust you would move up a size,this is adjusted to sea level. You should be able to get your jets at your local honda shop,but sometimes not. My dealer ordered them for me,@ about 4 bucks or so each. Hope this helps.

• jaredc28

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:20 PM

I am at 2,860 ft. above sea level, and I do have an after market pipe. Any recommendations? I really am a noob when it comes to this carb mod stuff.

• goblin127

Posted January 13, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Thats where I would start then.55/158. What are you running for a pipe? Full system or muffler only?

• jaredc28

Posted January 15, 2007 - 12:36 PM

I am running an older supertrapp pipe with 9 discs in...

• dstark

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:56 PM

I'm about the same elevation with almost the same set up as you, I run 55/165, with 2 3/4 turns out, works great for me.

• jaredc28

Posted January 15, 2007 - 02:07 PM

Ok, I bought the bike used. The guy I bought it from had the carb re-jetted (according to him, for higher altitude) but did not do Dave's mods. He doesn't remember what the new jetting is. Is there a way to find out what jets I currently have in?

Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dstark

Posted January 15, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Have to take the bowl off to find out. They usually have there size stamped on them.

• goblin127

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:00 PM

Remove the carb,it's easy;then remove the bowl and the jets are right there. aalet us know what you got in there you may be right on.

• jaredc28

Posted January 22, 2007 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for all the help, I did dave's mods over the weekend and found out I am running 52/158 on my jetting currently. I did the rest of the mods and put the bike together. The bike started and ran like it never has before:worthy: ...I am really impressed with the power in 2nd and 3rd gear. I still can't figure out why the first owner did re-jetting, big bore kit, and a pipe, but didn't do the other mods to the carb?

Anyway...thanks again!:lol:

• litng1

Posted July 16, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Hey guys what is Daves Mods?

• Sipes77

Posted July 16, 2007 - 08:38 PM

I am sure someone may explain it better and in much more detail than I could, try doing a forum search, I myself am looking it up too, I am thinking of doing the carb mod this summer.

• martinfan30

Posted July 16, 2007 - 09:40 PM

:thumbsup: an inexpensive way of rejetting your stock cv carb. the search engine will come up with the plan to get it done.

• Denn10

Posted July 17, 2007 - 08:49 AM

did you change the jets? and if so to what? After you get this done you should get some plugs and do some pulls and read the plugs to see how well it really is jetted.

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.