Can someone answer this? Connection Rod

hey guys Im sitting here at work right now with my engine apart, got the cyclinder off and im planning on replacing the piston Ive got all the parts now my question is....#1 is there supose to be any play in the connecting rod side to side or should there be no play at all??? Ive got a tiny bit of play does this mean i have to replace the bearing? if I have to replace that bearing does that mean the cases have to split to do this? I was hoping on installing the new piston/pin and close it up today.

I measured the side clearance with my feeler gauges....and there was NO up and down movement I checked that as well as side to side, phew i just reassembled everything? my first piston and ring replacement :confused: I did it here at work all afternoon in the fire truck bay the guys think im crazy haha...luckily we had a slow day not many interuptions. Now only one annoying thing, I ordered the hotcams auto decomp cam and realized today when i took it out of the box they sent me the intake cam instead grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when I get the proper cam that will be job I bring to work ...) Im glad i didn't pay a mechanic $75 an hour.........I just followed the manual and instructions very meticulously.......

thanx guys

Looking at the manual, you will see two measurements to be made. One is the side clearance, which is what you measured.

The other is to measure how much the rod rocks side to side (don't let the rod slip back and forth that .15mm along the crank pin, just rock it side to side. The measurement you take here is an indication of how much vertical clearance there is in the bearing.

I measured the side clearance with my feeler gauges....and there was NO up and down movement I checked that as well as side to side, phew i just reassembled everything? my first piston and ring replacement :confused: I did it here at work all afternoon in the fire truck bay the guys think im crazy haha...luckily we had a slow day not many interuptions. Now only one annoying thing, I ordered the hotcams auto decomp cam and realized today when i took it out of the box they sent me the intake cam instead grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when I get the proper cam that will be job I bring to work ...) Im glad i didn't pay a mechanic $75 an hour.........I just followed the manual and instructions very meticulously.......

thanx guys

WAY COOL!!! Good job!

Looking at the manual, you will see two measurements to be made. One is the side clearance, which is what you measured.

The other is to measure how much the rod rocks side to side (don't let the rod slip back and forth that .15mm along the crank pin, just rock it side to side. The measurement you take here is an indication of how much vertical clearance there is in the bearing.

That was the reason for my question. As you said, that's a measure of the vertical in the bearing and he needs to use a dial indicator at the top of the small end to verify that dimension...and it's an important one.

It's a little late now though.