Can someone answer this? Connection Rod

10 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:18 AM

hey guys Im sitting here at work right now with my engine apart, got the cyclinder off and im planning on replacing the piston Ive got all the parts now my question is....#1 is there supose to be any play in the connecting rod side to side or should there be no play at all??? Ive got a tiny bit of play does this mean i have to replace the bearing? if I have to replace that bearing does that mean the cases have to split to do this? I was hoping on installing the new piston/pin and close it up today.

• tammie

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:59 AM

ok i read in the manual that there is allowable side clearance of 0.15-0.45mm i measured and there was 0.15mm side clearance so i think im ok....gonna reassemble now.

• 642MX

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:57 PM

The rod floats on the pin, .15mm sounds good to me.

• j753301

Posted January 13, 2007 - 03:40 PM

grab the rod and hold the crank, move the rod up and down and make sure there is absolutely no vertical movement!if not your good to reassemble!!:lol:

• MNellis

Posted January 13, 2007 - 04:10 PM

ok i read in the manual that there is allowable side clearance of 0.15-0.45mm i measured and there was 0.15mm side clearance so i think im ok....gonna reassemble now.

How did you measure it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRFThumper

Posted January 13, 2007 - 04:17 PM

A little side to side is ok,up and down is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

• loudarbs

Posted January 13, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Hey, less power-robbin' friction.:lol:

• tammie

Posted January 13, 2007 - 04:37 PM

I measured the side clearance with my feeler gauges....and there was NO up and down movement I checked that as well as side to side, phew i just reassembled everything :lol: my first piston and ring replacement :confused: I did it here at work all afternoon in the fire truck bay the guys think im crazy haha...luckily we had a slow day not many interuptions. Now only one annoying thing, I ordered the hotcams auto decomp cam and realized today when i took it out of the box they sent me the intake cam instead grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when I get the proper cam that will be job I bring to work ...) Im glad i didn't pay a mechanic $75 an hour.........I just followed the manual and instructions very meticulously.......

thanx guys

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:00 PM

Looking at the manual, you will see two measurements to be made. One is the side clearance, which is what you measured.

The other is to measure how much the rod rocks side to side (don't let the rod slip back and forth that .15mm along the crank pin, just rock it side to side. The measurement you take here is an indication of how much vertical clearance there is in the bearing.

• CRFThumper

Posted January 16, 2007 - 04:21 PM

I measured the side clearance with my feeler gauges....and there was NO up and down movement I checked that as well as side to side, phew i just reassembled everything :lol: my first piston and ring replacement :confused: I did it here at work all afternoon in the fire truck bay the guys think im crazy haha...luckily we had a slow day not many interuptions. Now only one annoying thing, I ordered the hotcams auto decomp cam and realized today when i took it out of the box they sent me the intake cam instead grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when I get the proper cam that will be job I bring to work ...) Im glad i didn't pay a mechanic $75 an hour.........I just followed the manual and instructions very meticulously.......

thanx guys

WAY COOL!!! Good job!

• MNellis

Posted January 16, 2007 - 05:37 PM

Looking at the manual, you will see two measurements to be made. One is the side clearance, which is what you measured.

The other is to measure how much the rod rocks side to side (don't let the rod slip back and forth that .15mm along the crank pin, just rock it side to side. The measurement you take here is an indication of how much vertical clearance there is in the bearing.

That was the reason for my question. As you said, that's a measure of the vertical in the bearing and he needs to use a dial indicator at the top of the small end to verify that dimension...and it's an important one.

It's a little late now though.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.