04 or 05?

2 replies to this topic
  • shuehauls

Posted January 13, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Hey guys
I posted a couple of weeks ago about buying a 03 YZF 450.
I got great feedback,but when I got back to the guy,it was sold
Well,I found a 04 with not much time on it for $2800
It has a Tag triple clamp and bars
And I found a 05 that has been raced alot by a +45A rider but has been taken care of really good for $3000
It has a rg3 clamp,Dubach pipe,Quick shot,oversize front rotor and all the stock parts
I know the 05 is worth more ,but would this bike be as reliable as the 04 with less time on it?
The guy with the 05 says he changed oil after every race
Anything I should look for on these bikes?
Both sound really good with no odd sounds
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:07 AM

For $200 more I'd buy the 05.

• flintlock28

Posted January 13, 2007 - 12:02 PM

I have the 04'

The 05' does have better forks than the 04', but the 05' has also been labeled as "too calmed down" when compared to the "hit" that the 03' and 04' models have. (I think the ignition mapping was changed). That can be a subjective thing though, because a number of people considered the 03' as "Uncontrollable" and the 04' just slightly milder. I've ridden the 03' and own the 04', but I haven't personally rode the 05', so I can't comment. I would probably lean toward the 05' because of the better forks, but either bike would be a very dependable winner, as long as they were maintained. I would think that an older A rider would probably be pretty meticulous with the upkeep, compared to a 17 year old.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.