cp high compression piston?

5 replies to this topic
  • probikerguy2

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:50 PM

i have a 2000 426 and was curious about the cp high compression piston, how much do you gain from it? does the higher compression require race fuel only? is it worth the trouble?

• Big Zero

Posted January 12, 2007 - 09:29 PM

I receintly put a CP in my 450 and gained around 3hp., And 3 ft. lbs. of torque. Your results may vary depending on cams, exhaust, and any headwork that may have been done. A well respected long time Yamaha guy highly recommends the CP picton over all others.

Paul G

Posted January 12, 2007 - 09:30 PM

If you go up one degree, say from 13:1 to 14:1 then you will be fine, and there will be no need to run race fuel, although if you do use higher octane you may see even more of a benefit. The gain is in the bottom end, you will get more torque from a hi-comp piston.

Go with a forged piston, not cast, and it will be very reliable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 13, 2007 - 07:24 AM

I use a Wiseco 13.5:1 piston and besides a little more piston noise, its well worth the money. I do use race fuel, only because it will ping on heavy loads when its hot. I noticed a big gain from bottom to mid, but nothing more on top. While I'm sure the CP is a good piston, I'd recommend a Wiseco from personal experience.

• j753301

Posted January 13, 2007 - 03:43 PM

just my opinion but i always loved je pistons,great quality and fit.

• Big Zero

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:05 PM

From what my guy has said (my guy being the R and D guy for Hot Cams for several Years) the JE Piston has the worng shaped dome which disrupts the flow of intake and exhaust gasses.

There are so many differing opinions reagrding what works and what doesn't, that I don't know what to believe anymore. MY guys says the JE is junk.

The higher compression will help the Hp as well as the torque. Race fuel may be recommended, but not required. I have run both, and have felt little difference.

paul G

The higher compression will help HP as well as torque.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.