Why are the Aussie WR's Street legal?

31 replies to this topic
  • spick

Posted January 16, 2007 - 05:55 AM

So can any of you Aussies get a part # for the complete kit or check out whether it's possible to buy the kit separately?

MountainMax and I have been trying to track down this kit. I would much rather go OEM if I can for a dual sport kit on my bike.

Thanks a lot for all the pics.

• splitpunk

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:17 AM

I love my 07 wr 450 as well as my wifes 06wr250 but they are for the dirt.:lol: (Please don't flame me, or go ahead No big deal) every time I bought an enduro I took off the lights and plates and all the street stuff since I was a kid. I still may have a box or 2 of harneses somewhere.
why not buy a street bike? just a question.

• MountainMax

Posted January 16, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Exactly right, OEM is the way to go for me and others I know of, wish we had a kit part number or a complete list, please, please someone call those yamaha australia guys up and find out for us PLEASE......................

• OzMatt

Posted January 16, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Exactly right, OEM is the way to go for me and others I know of, wish we had a kit part number or a complete list, please, please someone call those yamaha australia guys up and find out for us PLEASE......................

I'M afraid it would do you no good to get an Aussie ADR kit. It would only be legal in Australia. You guys have a whole set of new rules over there and it sound like it varies from state to state. Plus Yamaha would charge you an absolute fortune for it like they do their bikes over here. It's also crap quality stuff that falls off or breaks after the first ride anyway.

• spick

Posted January 16, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Max and I are actually in Canada. And where we live the rules are somewhat lax. I actually don't have any indicators at all on my bike right now, nor a horn or mirror. Still I have a plate and can ride to the trails. No copper has stopped me yet.

That said, I'd like the kit for safety reasons more than anything. Anything to decrease the chances of someone mowing me down on the way to, or back from the trail.

• 04WR450man

Posted May 20, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Looks like you have a hard time, in the UK up until the 2006 model you could buy any WR fully road legal, I have owned a '02 426 for 18mts and yesterday bought a '04 450 thats even 'type approved' for our roads! luckily we don't need mirrors or indicators as they just get broken :)

What do you need over there to get the bike road legal, our bikes come with brake light/low-high beam/horn/mirrors/indicators........from Yamaha!

Just ask and I will find out the price for the kit for you.

Trev.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motao

Posted November 30, 2007 - 03:02 PM

I am the person that manufactures most of Australia WR ADR Kits. I get specs roughly 8 months in advance regarding model changes - i.e. the new Headlight on the 2007 model I had a sample in March 2006. I am an American and reside in Taiwan and work directly with Yamaha regarding new products for street legal WR's. Product is shipped to Melbourne in kit form where the Japan version is remanufactured with components that meet compliance rules in Australia (ADR). I supply Roughly 5000 kits to Yamaha per year and some Aussie ADR WR's are actually exported back into the Japan market.

• MountainMax

Posted December 01, 2007 - 11:05 AM

WoW, great info there Motao, would you/do you sell the kits to anyone else like the public or aftermarket, or even yamaha trhough a kit number??

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:23 AM

If you want street legal jap dirtbikes, then just nuke California. They ruin everything for everyone over there.

that is such a great comment:thumbsup:

• RJB

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:56 PM

I am the person that manufactures most of Australia WR ADR Kits. I get specs roughly 8 months in advance regarding model changes - i.e. the new Headlight on the 2007 model I had a sample in March 2006. I am an American and reside in Taiwan and work directly with Yamaha regarding new products for street legal WR's. Product is shipped to Melbourne in kit form where the Japan version is remanufactured with components that meet compliance rules in Australia (ADR). I supply Roughly 5000 kits to Yamaha per year and some Aussie ADR WR's are actually exported back into the Japan market.

Great to hear. Now how about supplying the rest of us with the kit in some form? I have an 07 model (which dealer here in Brunei fitted the wrong kit to) and have stripped all of the bits off now. Tried to get an 07 kit in Oz, but dealer didn't have stock - also AUD199 for the wiring harness is quite simply way too much. I have a complete parts list (posted in another thread). If folks can't find it, I'll dig it out and repost.

• Savagekilla

Posted December 03, 2007 - 09:23 AM

Hey guys, the WR450F I like is the one they sell in USA, lol yeah you got that right, the NON Street Legal Version.. I want my bike to look like a YZ450F with a Head and Tailight (what you lucky americans get) lol..

My Wr is gonna be imported from Japan, so will it be the same as the US version or will it be the street legal version?

Also do the free mods apply to the street legal version?

Thanks a bunch and sorry for the Thread Hijacking lol :thumbsup: :busted: :busted:

• eurobound

Posted December 03, 2007 - 09:39 AM

Looks like you have a hard time, in the UK up until the 2006 model you could buy any WR fully road legal, I have owned a '02 426 for 18mts and yesterday bought a '04 450 thats even 'type approved' for our roads! luckily we don't need mirrors or indicators as they just get broken :thumbsup:

What do you need over there to get the bike road legal, our bikes come with brake light/low-high beam/horn/mirrors/indicators........from Yamaha!

Just ask and I will find out the price for the kit for you.

Trev.

ditto in Slovenia... I think in the EU the bikes are very similar... I know I got a manual odometer though not the computer for my 06WR450 but it came street legal with all the stuff listed above... took it all off the first day for my first race but the registration makes it easier to get into Croatia (non-EU country)... not sure about the 07/08... they are hard to find in Slovenia... this is KTM country being so close to Austria... only 4 stroke KTMs ridden around here...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.