Why are the Aussie WR's Street legal?

31 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted January 12, 2007 - 11:30 AM

I was checking the austrailan website for Yamaha and found this year (last year they never) they list wr's in full street form. last year it showed my 06 to be the same as theirs however the dealers were converting them for road use, also is there a yamaha parts finder like the us site for austraila so i can check out some parts like mirrors i would love to use on mine??

• MSHAM

Posted January 12, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I've done the same searching and have come up with nothing.

• warlock50

Posted January 12, 2007 - 12:16 PM

Our WRs have always been set up for road use as long as the WRs have been out.

• dangermouse007

Posted January 12, 2007 - 12:50 PM

UK used to be until the 07 came out.. now only in race trim ...

• MountainMax

Posted January 12, 2007 - 01:24 PM

Dam, wish they would offer that here, the xt350 just didn't cut it for me and it's a pain getting a good DS kit and keeping it working, the stock one down under looks so AWESOME

• didtza

Posted January 12, 2007 - 02:55 PM

If you want street legal jap dirtbikes, then just nuke California. They ruin everything for everyone over there.

• Looks450

Posted January 12, 2007 - 03:35 PM

Our are street legal out of the box, they have the throttle stop, high gearing and bunged up pipe for complience, no AIS though. The AIS hole is already covered with a steel plate. They have blinkers, high/low beam, number plate light, park light, horn, key ignition. The YZ throttle srew comes with the spares kit, along with the other front sprocket, barkbusters, mirrors, all the US spec wiring light start and stop button.

:Looks

• WR_Dave

Posted January 12, 2007 - 04:07 PM

Maybe Australia has different road rules and requirements than here! :lol:

• MountainMax

Posted January 12, 2007 - 04:11 PM

yeah, im sure they do, however I still wish they kept things the same, I notice they sell an XT660 over in europe however we can't even buy one over here in any form, don't make sense to me, not fair..... :lol:

• Looks450

Posted January 12, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Then the KTM owners here don't get the XC and XC-W, they just get the EXC, which is road registerable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted January 12, 2007 - 04:17 PM

KTM, what's that ? lol

• davo ttt

Posted January 12, 2007 - 04:19 PM

this is mine its also fully registerable but i only paid for recreation reg because i cant have a license yet i can ride it anywhere offroad next year i will pay for full road reg Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Gadsen

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Then the KTM owners here don't get the XC and XC-W, they just get the EXC, which is road registerable.

We are getting the 450 EXC also soon, and its 50 states emission legal. I'm interested and will look very close to it. Then I will have a road plated WR450F for sale. :lol:

• Dieselox4

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:12 PM

i make alot of trips all over europe. i will always buy my bikes from over there. they are cheaper, come with full street gear, kick and electric start and you can get bikes you will never see in the U.S. . so you have to do a few more minor mods, small price to pay. i plan on bringing an xt660 back from my next trip. my question to you all is would it be legal to ride in harescrambles?

mike

• Looks450

Posted January 12, 2007 - 08:11 PM

my question to you all is would it be legal to ride in harescrambles?

mike

They must be different to the ones we get here. The XT660's here are a supermotard, cafe racer type bike. They look pretty tough to. Unless your harescrambles are on tar, i'm not sure its the right bike. But then the bike in europe may be different.

Looks

• waynus

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:54 AM

yeah, im sure they do, however I still wish they kept things the same, I notice they sell an XT660 over in europe however we can't even buy one over here in any form, don't make sense to me, not fair..... :lol:

Don't worry too much. My 06 WR450 cost me $10,160 last year. Wish they were as cheap to buy as they are in the States along with all the riding gear, spare parts etc.

• TWILES

Posted January 13, 2007 - 08:05 PM

I agree. I think I'd like to have one of those. Honda makes something similar over there too.

• davo ttt

Posted January 14, 2007 - 06:00 AM

just dont get hurt whatever brand your ridin

• OzMatt

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:45 PM

yeah, im sure they do, however I still wish they kept things the same, I notice they sell an XT660 over in europe however we can't even buy one over here in any form, don't make sense to me, not fair..... :confused:

The bikes are shipped to Australia virtually the same as the US. Yamaha Australia put all the street legal stuff on it once it gets here. It's called ADR. There are some strict rules to get it registered and it actually costs quite alot for Yamaha to get through the red tape. But as someone mentioned, we certainly pay for it.
RRP for the new 2007 WR450 is currently at $12,499 or about $US10,200.
Ouch I hear you say! :lol:

• 450high

Posted January 16, 2007 - 02:02 AM

Yes we have road registered bikes wr's but mind you if we ride in the bush we have to have road registered bikes as most gravel roads are classified as highways which also means we need a licence.Rec ( recreational rego ) is available but if is not really worth it.We get full transport accident insurrance on registered bikes and cars in victoria which is handy if you hit the deck hard , it covers hospital,ambulance,wages even a chopper ride to hospital so it is good insurance .Most dirt bikes cost $300 - $400 aus a year which includes the insurance.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.