What do you guys think about using Liquid Ice

37 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted January 12, 2007 - 11:27 AM

I heard it will help cool my bike, and I have overheated her in slow driving, is this an option to use or should i try to hook up electric overheat fans or other options???

• WGP

Posted January 12, 2007 - 11:59 AM

You mean Engine Ice?

Yes it works great.....and is as easy as buying one bottle ($15), draining your rads, rinse with Di water, and fill :lol:

Others use Evans but for people who live in snow country (like me) you need freeze protection as well.

• MountainMax

Posted January 12, 2007 - 01:22 PM

I also live in snow country :lol: sounds good, so it just goes in straight? no water or other additives needed? do you run it in yours? are there any disadvantages in it??

• WGP

Posted January 12, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Ya...I run it in my 05WR...straight out of the bottle.....

No disadvantages at all......my bike can idle forever and not overheat I also race desert with technical sections and have never overheated:applause:

This product with good jetting will make your bike very happy....

• MountainMax

Posted January 12, 2007 - 04:03 PM

sounds good, i have overheated mine a few times idling, it don't take long.....

Now I have to find a place here in Canada to buy it..........

• CheYuen

Posted January 12, 2007 - 05:15 PM

You can get it from the TT store. http://shop.thumpert...pu_81081100.htm

• Desracer

Posted January 12, 2007 - 05:49 PM

It does help but it will boil out as steam! Then you have a problem because all you can add is engine ice or drain and refill the whole system if you add water. The bike runs cooler with engine ice, but if your not moving it boils way faster than regular anti freeze. Check out the Dirt Rider magazines coolant tests they did last year.

• gregwr450f

Posted January 12, 2007 - 06:45 PM

It's just a product with a higher boiling temp, so your engine temp is running just as hot if not hotter but you don't know it because the liquid is not boiling or steaming.
I'd rather know when my bike is running hot instead of using a product thats masks the problem.

Just my opinion.

• Fastdaddy

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:58 PM

I read an article in one of the motocross mags recently. It said that a good all around mixture was 50% coolanol and 50% coolaid. Both products are made by maxima. I havnt tried it yet but Im gunna.

• foxomatica

Posted January 12, 2007 - 08:36 PM

Check the bottle for recomended mixing instructions. I use about 12% ice and the rest water. As far as cooling goes, water is the best coolent. The ice, mixed with water lubricates the system and offers a higher boiling point than antifreeze. You don't want to use just the cooling product in your system. For winter I go back to a mixture of water and antifreeze (50/50) so she won't freeze up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted January 13, 2007 - 04:35 AM

Run Evans coolant and two2cool and you will never have over heating problems again.

• MountainMax

Posted January 13, 2007 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for all the opinions guys, but is any of this stuff available in canada, I would buy from tt store but customs is crazy up here, so much for free trade

• old man dan

Posted January 13, 2007 - 10:35 AM

I seem to overheat just about every time i get into really tight stuff (where you almost have to come to a stop to get your bars between the trees) So far the best solution seems to be almost straight water with a little bit of "water wetter" and just enough antifreeze for freeze protection (around ten per cent but check with a hydrometer for your local temps). I might go to a KTM fan, i've heard of a few people installing them with excellent results.

• Bladerunner426

Posted January 13, 2007 - 10:54 AM

:lol: With Engine ice the electrolyses is greatly reduced, giving your engine components longer and cleaner life where other coolents do not.

• waynus

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Quite simply, engine ice uses propylene glycol as it's base as opposed to ethylene glycol. It is considerably less toxic. It's boiling point and freeze point is however very similar. So you makes your choice. :lol:

• waynus

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:40 PM

I seem to overheat just about every time i get into really tight stuff (where you almost have to come to a stop to get your bars between the trees) So far the best solution seems to be almost straight water with a little bit of "water wetter" and just enough antifreeze for freeze protection (around ten per cent but check with a hydrometer for your local temps). I might go to a KTM fan, i've heard of a few people installing them with excellent results.

Interested to know what you mean by "overheat" old man dan.
I don't run an overflow tank and I smell coolant when things get hot. This is a natural result of the radiator fluid expanding with heat and the cap letting out excess pressure. But so far the motor hasn't "boiled". You obviously know that water is the best coolant and the WW breaks down the surface tension to make it even more efficient but I don't think I would run any less than 1/3 antifreeze for it's corrosion and lubricating properties. A fan seems like the way to go and I'll be doing the same at some stage. :lol:

• MountainMax

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:42 PM

when mine overheats, i shut her off and i can hear it boiling in the engine, definately not just expansion for me.............. Maybe i should get the fan upgrade hooked up to a temp switch

• old man dan

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:13 PM

When I say overheat I mean it boils enough out coolant to fill the overflow bottle. I let it cool and transfer the coolant back with a pop bottle or whatever is handy. These bikes need airflow for the rads to able to do their job and when I say tight woods I mean no place to get moving more than a few MPH and even then only for a few feet at a time. I think the fan is the way to go, probably with a temp switch to activate it.

• SXP

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:22 PM

I let it cool and transfer the coolant back with a pop bottle or whatever is handy

&%$#@!! Why would you be doing something like this:excuseme: The natural process of the engine cooling down causes the coolant to contract creating a vacuum like effect pulling the coolant back into the radiator. If this not happening on your bike, then you have an air leak somewhere in the coolant circuit.

• Fullbore4

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:28 PM

&%$#@!! Why would you be doing something like this:excuseme: The natural process of the coolant cooling down causes it to contract creating a vacuum like effect and pulling the coolant back into the radiator. If this not happening on your bike, then you have an air leak somewhere in the coolant circuit.

ditto

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.