Skid Plate?

5 replies to this topic
  • finglan

Posted January 17, 2001 - 10:30 PM

I want to get a skid plate for my 01 WR426. No one has one listed for the WR. Will one for a 01 YZ426 fit my bike? How is the White Brothers plate, will it provide good protection for everything? ( frame rails, water pump, front portion of the frame, so on )

• MN_Kevin

Posted January 17, 2001 - 01:59 PM

The YZ SHOULD fit, emphasis on "should". The stock plate is almost worthless. Make sure you get a full coverage plate which covers the frame rails, water pump. Try Malcom Smith, Moose, Stroker, Works Connection.

• Howard_Huge

Posted January 17, 2001 - 02:10 PM

There is a Yamaha shop in Las Vegas that has the best looking skid plate for yz/wr's that i have seen. Its made out of aluminum and covers both the water pump and the ignition side perfectly. I forget the name of the shop cost was around $100 bucks. Saw it for the first time on the starting line at the races last Sunday. Hopefully someone will come up with the name to the shop I would like to get one also.

huge

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Buck

Posted January 18, 2001 - 05:16 AM

I have a Moose Skid plate on my 1999 WR. It works great and looks good too. They go for $78.99 and they are in the Tucker Rocky cataloge. You are making a very wise choice by going to full coverage. I found out the hard way. Rock to the ignition cover, then no oil, then cam welded to the head. Big bucks! for $78.99 it is worth the peice of mind.

• finglan

Posted January 18, 2001 - 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Buck:
I have a Moose Skid plate on my 1999 WR. It works great and looks good too. They go for $78.99 and they are in the Tucker Rocky cataloge. You are making a very wise choice by going to full coverage. I found out the hard way. Rock to the ignition cover, then no oil, then cam welded to the head. Big bucks! for $78.99 it is worth the peice of mind.

Thanks I ordered the Moose skid plate from Baja Designs. They said it bolts to the same places as the old glide plate "usually". How did yours go on?

• Buck

Posted January 18, 2001 - 08:51 AM

There are three bolts that hold it on. The bolt in the back nearest the oil drain on the motor uses the stock mounting point and then it mounts to the down tubes in the front using clamps that come with skid plate. It only takes about five minutes to install.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.