Red stickers

8 replies to this topic
  • KnightriderCRF

Posted January 12, 2007 - 09:13 AM

Why are WR's from '03 and '04 red sticker, but every other year is green? can anyone explain how that makes sence... cuz i am confused... :lol:

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 12, 2007 - 10:14 AM

Because '02 and earlier are grandfathered in as green. Yamaha didn't add the AIS system to make the bike "green" compliant until '05.

• KnightriderCRF

Posted January 12, 2007 - 10:17 AM

So then next year do you think that the '03 will be grandfathered?

• velosapiens

Posted January 12, 2007 - 10:21 AM

So then next year do you think that the '03 will be grandfathered?

no. unless the law is fundamentally changed, 03's will ALWAYS be red-sticker. this is mostly because yamaha just dropped the ball. note that many green-sticker bikes do not have anythink like the AIS, so there's no particular reason that should be required. yamaha was just too lazy to find a more sensible way, and too lazy to go through the paperwork in 03 and 04.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KnightriderCRF

Posted January 12, 2007 - 10:33 AM

Man thats frustraiting... Because i was really thinking about getting a used 03 or 04 but once i heard that there red stickers i dont see a point anymore... i just cant spend the money for a 05, i wish i could tho... :/ o well haha i guess i need to keep looking...

• David37

Posted January 12, 2007 - 08:50 PM

Since you live in California and want to ride all year long, I would buy either an 2002 YZ250F or WR250F model or save your $$ and get a 2005 WR250F both of which are Green Sticker legal.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 13, 2007 - 12:26 AM

note that many green-sticker bikes do not have anythink like the AIS, so there's no particular reason that should be required.

The CRF 250x and 450x have a smog pump also. Apparently the cam profiles are so radical on the CRF and WR that even with lean jetting it still requires AIS to get the green sticker.

I agree with yamaha dropping the ball...I think they pulled their head out too late though.

BTW, hows Idaho?

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 13, 2007 - 12:28 AM

Since you live in California and want to ride all year long, I would buy either an 2002 YZ250F or WR250F model or save your $$ and get a 2005 WR250F both of which are Green Sticker legal.

Believe it or not the 2005 WR is a red sticker bike, the 250 didn't get the AIS until 06

• RB_Saint

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:10 AM

Believe it or not the 2005 WR is a red sticker bike, the 250 didn't get the AIS until 06

Yep.:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.