Tried New Pads...Should I try a new Rotor?

7 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted January 11, 2007 - 07:39 PM

So I was looking for better stopping power on the front and have tried sintered pads, but they really didn't seem to help that much or as much as I had hoped.

I was considering going to a larger front rotor. Do you think this will help much and do you have any recomendations? I was looking at the GYTR and EBC :lol:

06 YZ450

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:07 PM

Oversizing alone will help. EBC rotors are made from carbon steel rather than stainless, and this fact will also increase stopping power, although you may find that the rotor wears a little faster, and you'll have to keep after the rust.

• x_racer_916

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:14 PM

A larger rotor is the way to go. I have an oversized EBC on my 06 450 and it works great. Very strong braking. The EBC is a 280mm disk and the GTYR is 270mm. I would like to try the GTYR since the EBC is almost too strong for me. I don't think you will be disappointed with either one.

• Wyatt

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:17 PM

Large rotor = large stopping power

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:42 PM

consensus seems to suggest that Larger rotor is the way to go. :lol:

Thanks for the replies....:confused: :crazy: :lol: ;)

• StPeters21

Posted January 11, 2007 - 10:51 PM

i have the large one1!!!!!!! Its awesome!!!!! The 06 needs a better front brake for sure.

• Budlite

Posted January 12, 2007 - 06:42 AM

The GYTR is not a floater while the EBC is. I would choose the EBC because of its resistance to bending in a crash.

• twenty34

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:42 AM

The GYTR is not a floater while the EBC is. I would choose the EBC because of its resistance to bending in a crash.

So there are a few different EBC rotors available. Are the Countour SX rotors larger than a stock YZ rotor? It doesn't say on their site, only that it's carbon material.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.