Anything new on a stator for 06 - 07 450's for light output?

69 replies to this topic
  • swatdoc

Posted January 11, 2007 - 03:16 PM

I looking to get a new '07 450 to convert to street legal supermoto. I would MUCH prefer a YZ over the WR, as I don't want all the extra weight, and have no need or want for the electric start. Other reasons include wanting to use the Hurricane yellow plastics which only fit the YZ, and the fact that almost all the supermoto wheels, suspension items, etc. are for YZ's.
My problem trying to find a stator to give me output to run the lights.
From what I gather, the WR stator/flywheel is not interchangable on the 06/07's, and both trail-tech and baja designs say they don't have an aftermarket unit for the 06-07's.
Is this right, or does anyone out there have any info that can help?
thanks

• mikenash

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:51 PM

Try e-lineaccessories. Best of luck !

• swatdoc

Posted January 17, 2007 - 11:07 PM

Called them last week. They do have an external stator for the 03 to 05 models. The person that does all the electrical systems for them is on vacation till next week - gonna call back then to see if they're working on something for the 06/07 models. If not, looks like it's a CRF for me.

• KTMKarl

Posted January 18, 2007 - 01:09 PM

I've been wondering about this myself. I know in earlier years folks made the WR stuff work on YZ's and vice-versa. Anybody know why the 07 WR stuff won't work? I gotta think swapping the WR stuff on would be feasible looking at the photos I have seen thus far. Could run into issues with crank diameters and of course would have to fabricate some kind of cover likely. still possible it would seem.

As far as the aftermarket goes, i have heard that some are afraid of the pressurized oil that flows through the ignition cover restricting the design to utilizing the stock cover which isn't a good option given the limited amount of room with the internal (inside the flywheel) type stator design. I have an 06 thats just setting around and waiting for the solution.

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2007 - 03:07 PM

People thought they could swap the stuff from an '03-'06 WR450 into a '03-'05 YZ450, too, but they were wrong. Because the flywheel on the WR is "inside out" to make the e-start set up work better, the complete electrical system, ignition cover, flywheel, crankshaft, and crankcases have to be changed just to use the WR charging system, never mind the starter and associated stuff.

Now it might be different with the latest version of these two bikes, as the YZF is now built with an inverted flywheel. It entirely depends on whether the crankshaft and crankcases are different on the new bikes. The crankcase will certainly have a different PN because it will have drilling and milling to mount the starter motor, but if the stator, flywheel and ignition cover will bolt up, it would work. But it remains to be seen.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted January 18, 2007 - 04:23 PM

I looking to get a new '07 450 to convert to street legal supermoto. I would MUCH prefer a YZ over the WR, as I don't want all the extra weight, and have no need or want for the electric start. Other reasons include wanting to use the Hurricane yellow plastics which only fit the YZ, and the fact that almost all the supermoto wheels, suspension items, etc. are for YZ's.
My problem trying to find a stator to give me output to run the lights.
From what I gather, the WR stator/flywheel is not interchangable on the 06/07's, and both trail-tech and baja designs say they don't have an aftermarket unit for the 06-07's.
Is this right, or does anyone out there have any info that can help?
thanks

This is what you need

http://www.electrosp...str_esl380.html

50watt stator for $180. Then all you need is a voltage regulator $20 headlight and tailight and hydraulic brake switch and you are good to go. 50w is not much power for lighting but it will get you street legal. You just wont like it riding at night.

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:49 PM

This is what you need

That does not appear to be listed as applicable to the '06/7. The newer two years are different.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted January 19, 2007 - 08:32 AM

That does not appear to be listed as applicable to the '06/7. The newer two years are different.

Ah your right I didn't catch that. Might want to call them. They still may have some thing that will work.

• swatdoc

Posted January 19, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I've called everyone - no luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that E-line will have some good news for me on tuesday when Kevin gets back from vacation.

• mikenash

Posted January 19, 2007 - 07:59 PM

Kevin should be able to have something made up if he has'nt already done so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeDD

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:56 PM

swatdoc try Rides Hawaii in Wahiawa. They might be able to help you find a stator I know they have plated a bunch of bikes. In fact I was in there inquiring about a baja kit and they told me a stator was around $100 in addition to the kit and this was for an 07 450.

I am plating my bike too and I just finished putting all the lights on it. I am just waiting on the spedo and tires and I am all set. I decided not to run a modified stator and instead I just made a battery pack for it that I can easily recharge with a nicad charger. I also bought some back up LED lights that run with hardly any power. Of course these wont pass inspection but the battery pack will power all the DOT lights on there now with no problem. Anyhow good luck! Let me know how it turns out.

Mike

• MikeDD

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:22 PM

Shoot one thing I forgot to mention is a friend told me one of the inspection criteria says that the lights need to work without the bike running. This makes sense in that if you breakdown on the side of the road without a battery you will have no lights. I don't know if this is %100 true but deffinately something to check on if you plan on soley running a stator.

• swatdoc

Posted January 27, 2007 - 01:03 AM

Mike - did a little more checking - E-line says they will Not be making a stator for the 06-07 bikes. Called Electrosport back, and found out that they WILL have a stator in about 2 weeks, BUT it will only put out about 50 watts AC. From the guys at Trailtech, they tell me 50 watts is probably an exaggeration, and that once you hook up a regulator to convert the output to DC, the watts will drop even further, probably to 30 or less. Insufficient to even run a 35 watt DOT headlight.
So, looks like I'm gonna have to go with a CRF450. Too bad, 'cause the YZ valve life is so much better, and I really like the yellow Hurricane graphics on a Yamaha.
For the battery thing, a small nicad battery pack like used for an RC car will work to get you thru inspection. You can later replace it with a capacitor. Sounds like that's what you're probably using.
I'm curious - you say you have DOT approved lights on your bike, and they are all battery powered?
Also - was the 07 450 Rides Hawaii talking about a YZ? If so, I sure don't know what stator they're using, cause I've called EVERYONE!
Baja Designs does NOT have a kit for the 06-07 YZ's - I talked to them, and they referred me to E-line to see if they were goung to make an external kit like they do for the 03-05 YZ's (as previously mentioned - NO).

• MikeDD

Posted January 27, 2007 - 11:42 PM

Swatdoc, I would just see what lights you can piece together. If you run LED lights which work just as good with way less power I don't see why you couldn't use that stator. Or maybe even incorporate a small battery pack into that to make sure everything stayed bright.

I used RC nicad batteries like you said to run the lights. 8 C batteries in two sets of four right underneath the seat on the frame. I turned on all the lights and they look to stay bright for quiet a while, at least long enough to pass the inspection. This is with the DOT lights. The LED lights are the ones I plan to run after. I have an on/off switch for the headlight and I have a connector tucked away on the frame rail to easily plug into an RC charger. I am really just looking to get to and from some nearby trails and I think this will be sufficient.

The reason I mentioned Rides Hawaii is becuase they plate bikes, that is what they do and they have plated a lot. I believe that if you pay them $1000 they will plate your bike inspection and all. I did stop by their shop and asked about a baja kit and stator prices for an 07 yz450. I am almost certain he looked both of them up and gave me a price. This was a few months ago though man and the details are fuzzy haha. But shoot give em a call they would deffinately be the best source of info on the island. I'd hate to see you have to sell out to Honda just because of lights!

Mike

• KTMKarl

Posted February 09, 2007 - 01:24 PM

Anything new?

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2007 - 02:11 PM

So far, I have learned that the left side crankcase cover gasket is the same for both the '06/7 YZ450 and the '07 WR450. (2S2-15451-00-00 in both cases) This means that the WR ignition cover and stator will bolt onto a late YZ450.

HOWEVER, the part number for the left crank axle is different. (2S2-11412-00-00 vs 5TJ-11412-00-00) The different prefix makes it a part made for a different model. The difference in the parts is likely to be that the WR (5TJ) crank axle is heavier in order to accommodate the heavier flywheel and the load applied by the e-start. Or, it may be longer to make more room for the e-starter drive clutch. If it's only the length, that's different, and not the size of the taper or the threads, the WR flywheel might fit the YZ crank, but the stator would need to be spaced back into the flywheel some. The likelihood is that the crank axle would need to be changed out to be compatible with the WR flywheel. That's still a better situation than we had with the previous 450's.

It would be great if someone who had access to one of each of these could pull both flywheels side by side and take a look.

• ras1027

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:01 PM

call lakes and trail powersports I think it is in Mi. 231-258-6767 they will know what to do. I called them about doing my 06 yz450f but i never got arround to sending it to them. the end result was going to be about $250.00 if i rember correctly. good luck

• swatdoc

Posted February 10, 2007 - 12:47 AM

Gray - would be nice if we could get WR stuff to work. Probably the most reliable. I wonder if there could be any potential problems using the WR crank axle on the YZ crank, like weight/balance perhaps? Maybe easier/better to installa WR complete crank? Since I plan on installing a 07 WR gearset, I'll have to split the cases anyway - could do the crank at the same time. This would be FAR more ideal than the way I'm gonna do it for now. I'd just feel a whole lot better with factory oem parts. Haven't heard a lot of good things about Electrosport stator reliablity.

Here's what I've decided to try: I'm gonna go with the Electrosport stator - 50 watts AC output (supposed to be in stock next Wed). I'll use an Acerbis DHH DOT headlight which requires 35 watts. Gonna try to get thru inspection with a Baja Designs LED tail/brake light. It only uses .4 and .06 watts respectfully for the brake and tail light. Only gonna use a regulator and keep the system AC so I don't use up precious watts converting to DC. If I get shot down on the BD tail light, I'll try one made for an 03 Yamaha R1 that I saw on ebay that states it is DOT approved - it's LED and current requirements should be low.
After thoroughly checking state laws, I'm convinced that Hawaii does not require turn signals for motorcycles. Problem is the inspector to get plated thinks you do, so I'll mount some DOT LED blinkers made by K&S, using a small battery source for power, and just remove the whole thing after I get my plate. 8 AA batteries should power LED blinkers for hours.
For the horn, I'll use the self contained Mega Horn sold by Baja Designs that uses a small 9 volt battery.

Ras - thanks for the tip - I'll call them Monday to see what they're doing for a stator.

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2007 - 09:13 AM

I wonder if there could be any potential problems using the WR crank axle on the YZ crank, like weight/balance perhaps? Maybe easier/better to install a WR complete crank?

That depends on how many of the other parts (right axle, rod, piston) are shared between the two assemblies. If the right axle is a YZF part, I'd say it's a go, but there's labor involved in the crank work, and it's less than ideal to reuse a crank pin, so it might be both cheaper and simpler to use the complete crank.

• KTMKarl

Posted February 27, 2007 - 01:25 PM

Anybody got after one of these babys with a wrench yet? Still holding out hope. this thing would make such a great dual sporter for me shame it is just cluttering up the garage right now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.