reconnected the grey wire

9 replies to this topic
  • bdruff

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:14 AM

I had cut the grey wire previously and my bike seemed to have trouble idling and just didn't run very smooth. I reconnected the wire and everything is better. My airbox is uncovered but I'm not 100% sure on the throttle stop. Anybody else experience this?

• marcoma

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:52 AM

I'm contemplating fitting a switch to my grey wire - so that I can have the smooth profile (WR) for trails and the aggressive one (YZF) for faster shinanegans.

• WGP

Posted January 11, 2007 - 09:15 AM

Throttle Stop and Grey Wire go at the same time...

• Murray Dorward

Posted January 11, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Cutting the grey wire is a must. The bike works as a WR up untill +- midrange then then mapping on the cdi unit changes the power curve to rev higher and pull like a YZ at higher revs. What will a switch do ? I see no point in installing a switch as the grey wire has been put on the WR to retard the timing due to the throttle stop being installed in the carb (only lets the carb's slide open half way). If you dont cut the grey wire and install the shorter throttle stop your bike will be flooding its self with fuel that it cant burn up. If you cut the grey wire and dont install the shorter throttle stop there will not be enough fuel going into the motor to burn up. Do these mods !!!!!

I have a 2007 wr450 and this bike is like a tractor on the rocks and hill climbs and revs like a YZ once you get out of the tight stuff. I rode my bike down a serious rock/boulder infested trail and the bike didn't stall once.

Cheers

Muz

• jolleyr

Posted January 11, 2007 - 10:20 AM

You also need to do yz cam timing to get the full benefit of the grey wire and throttle stop if your looking to get closer to the yz power curve. Check out some of the forums on this topic. You wont be disappointed with the results. Remember, you may have to rejet if you do go through with the yz cam timing. What year is your bike? This is for pre 2003 bikes only. can't do yz cam timing on 03 and newer with purchasing a new cam. Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted January 11, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Be advised that a switch won't be effective while you are riding. To invoke the WR map, you will have to shut the motor off, switch the switch, and restart. The CDI loks for the ground at start up and selects the appropriate map at that time.

• clark4131

Posted January 11, 2007 - 11:29 AM

I had cut the grey wire previously and my bike seemed to have trouble idling and just didn't run very smooth. I reconnected the wire and everything is better. My airbox is uncovered but I'm not 100% sure on the throttle stop. Anybody else experience this?

As this is the first time I've heard of this, my question would be are you sure you cut the proper grey wire?...SC

• bdruff

Posted January 11, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I'm pretty sure it was the right wire. I did a lot of research here before I did anything. I only rode the bike 2 or 3 times before I cut the wire and I went riding several times after. I never had any real problems but it didn't idle or run as smooth. I reconnected the wire and it seems to run better. I don't know.

• trailordune

Posted January 11, 2007 - 04:51 PM

I'm pretty sure it was the right wire. I did a lot of research here before I did anything. I only rode the bike 2 or 3 times before I cut the wire and I went riding several times after. I never had any real problems but it didn't idle or run as smooth. I reconnected the wire and it seems to run better. I don't know.

My smooth idle went away when I unplugged the grey wire on my 04 too but the bike runs great from bottom to top.:lol: :confused: :crazy:

• marcoma

Posted January 11, 2007 - 09:25 PM

Be advised that a switch won't be effective while you are riding. To invoke the WR map, you will have to shut the motor off, switch the switch, and restart. The CDI loks for the ground at start up and selects the appropriate map at that time.

Oooooo! Thats worth noting.

Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.