YZF450 '06, MXA settings

7 replies to this topic
  • spuj

Posted January 11, 2007 - 01:37 AM

What settings did MXA recommend for the YZF450 '06, the spring rates, oil height and such..

I had the mag but i can't find it, would be nice if anyone could check :lol:

Thanks!

• Yamahafan

Posted January 11, 2007 - 06:13 AM

I don't have it with me, but I believe that their recommendations + or - 1 click from stock depending on your weight and the riding conditions. I will post tonight if nobody else has posted it in the meantime.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 11, 2007 - 06:41 AM

What settings did MXA recommend for the YZF450 '06, the spring rates, oil height and such..

I had the mag but i can't find it, would be nice if anyone could check :confused:

Thanks!

MXA is not the authority on YZF settings.....or any suspension settings period! They will give you what made them happy .... that is about it. (and they weren't all that happy with the 06 or 07 for that matter)...:lol:

the better question is what is your weight, your riding ability? For MX or Trails?

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 11, 2007 - 09:01 AM

MXA is not the authority on YZF settings.....or any suspension settings period! They will give you what made them happy .... that is about it. (and they weren't all that happy with the 06 or 07 for that matter)...:lol:

the better question is what is your weight, your riding ability? For MX or Trails?

wait a sec. You said that they weren't happy with the 06....If I remember correctly, didn't it win the bike of the year from MXA. I dont know the settings, but the sag on the rear was reccomended for 98mm. As far as your clickers go, check your manual, neutral them out, and make small changes until you feel comfortable, when it stops feeling comfortable, back up a click.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2007 - 09:16 AM

As I recall, they were fairly happy with the spring rates, and if you are in the range of 170-185 pounds, you should be, too, unless you are a very fast amateur or pro.

They set the rear sag at 95-98, pulled the front forks up 5mm, and removed 5cc from the outer chamber of each fork. (They started with 10cc, but found it made more difference than they had expected, so added 5cc back).

They also felt that the bars were too low by 10mm, and that this was causing the rider to be pulled out of position, and contributed to understeer.

After reading that, and the reviews of several guys here, I did all of this to ours before we ever rode it. The only difference is that I put PT Windham bars (RM Mid) on ours, which are 14mm higher than stock, because my son, who rides it mostly, is 6'3". We also run a D952 in front. I don't know how much better than stock it is, but it's far and away the best handling MX bike I've been on in 30 years.

Another interesting thing about this is that all of these changes were incorporated into the '07 models (longer shock, head angle change, 8mm taller bars). Somebody apparently agrees.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 11, 2007 - 12:39 PM

wait a sec. You said that they weren't happy with the 06....If I remember correctly, didn't it win the bike of the year from MXA.

My point is MXA is not the suspension set up gurus to ask or rely on.......and as my old and failing memory recalls, they were much happier with the CRF450 in 06 and 07....previous years they liked the YZFs....but who gives a rats poop anyway! :lol:
their job is to sell magazines.....our job is to find the best bike and suspension settings for us....this mans weight and riding style dictate where and what he needs to do to tune his suspension....right?

• LoneRanger171

Posted January 11, 2007 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am now the proud ownder of 2006 YZ450 SE that I picked up today. Bike has less than 2 hours on it and I got it for $4900. Its been a year and a half since I rode last and was mostly a 250F rider but can't wait to get this 450 on the track. I tell you it feels like a beast compared to my old 250F but the power seems manageable enough where I feel I will get used to it good. The odd part is my first 250F was a 2001 YZ and I bet that was heavier than this 06. I will search for more first time owner advice (mods, maintenance, etc..) - I'M BACK BABY!! MY BLOODS ALWAYS RUN BLUE BUT NOW IT'S [COLOR="Yellow"]YELLOW[/COLOR] !!
[COLOR="Blue"]You don't stop riding cause you get old - you get old cause you stop riding.[/COLOR]

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 11, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Have fun on your new steed but respect the power.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.