whats the plus and minus with a larger or smaller rear sprocket on xr 650l

33 replies to this topic
  • perry5150

Posted January 11, 2007 - 12:18 AM

we just put a 47 tooth on my friends 650l and i rode it and could not feel any difference what does it do?:lol: :confused:

• Scotty Breauxman

Posted January 11, 2007 - 11:53 AM

It should give you a higher top speed with a little less torque in lower gears.
Generally speaking, a smaller rear sprocket and/or larger c/s sprocket will give you a higher top speed.

Hope that helps

scotty
@))@ XR^%)

• LumpyXR650L

Posted January 11, 2007 - 01:53 PM

Remember the XR650L has a 45 tooth rear sprocket stock.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 11, 2007 - 03:44 PM

He went from 15:45 to 15:47?

Thats 1:3 changed to 1:3.1333- not a big diff (change of 4.4%)

Top speed should be 4.4% less- say, drop from 100 to 93.6 (loss of 4.4 mph).

But that's top gear- lets say top speed (at redline) in 2nd gear was 20 mph, now its about 19.1 mph (loss of 0.9 mph).

Dave

• babbs

Posted January 13, 2007 - 08:15 AM

You probably won't feel the difference unless you change the powerband at the same time. A sprocket or powerband change won't do much, but if you change them at the same time....wheelie time. I would go with the blue or red powerband...remember stock is yellow. Just be careful taking the old one off, they tend to be installed pretty tight from the factory, I saw a guy almost lose an eye when he caught one in the face.

• kelleyseiler

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:21 AM

You probably won't feel the difference unless you change the powerband at the same time. A sprocket or powerband change won't do much, but if you change them at the same time....wheelie time. I would go with the blue or red powerband...remember stock is yellow. Just be careful taking the old one off, they tend to be installed pretty tight from the factory, I saw a guy almost lose an eye when he caught one in the face.

without sounding stupid:bonk: what do you mean blue, red or yellow powerband? Whats a powerband?:lol:

• xr650l bum

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:43 AM

If you really want to live on the edge, double them up!

• cleonard

Posted January 13, 2007 - 10:14 AM

we just put a 47 tooth on my friends 650l and i rode it and could not feel any difference what does it do?:lol: :confused:

What are you trying to do? Make is less buzzy on the street, or change the gearing for trail riding. A common change for the dirt is to gear it down some.

If you want to switch for the dirt and the road, the rear is much harder to change than the front. A common thing to do is to run a 14 tooth sprocket in the front for the dirt and change it to a 15 tooth for the street.

• oldKTMer

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:36 AM

I have a XR650L and changed to 14/48 for low speed rough trails, seems to have helped a lot.... I would like to change to a blue power band but cannot find one local, where can I get one? My bike has a white one on now, do you know if this is for torque or high rpm power? I am thinking that it my be a yellow one that is faded. I should not have any trouble changing it as I have done it many times on my old KTM. :lol:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:49 AM

Has any one tried the rainbow colored powerband that come on the
xr650r standard. Because you will have the best of all worlds with that one. Ask your honda shop!! Not sure if R and L are compatible though. Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldKTMer

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Has any one tried the rainbow colored powerband that come on the
xr650r standard. Because you will have the best of all worlds with that one. Ask your honda shop!! Not sure if R and L are compatible though. Hope this helps.

No, they are not compatible... The L is a motorcycle, the R is just a dirt bike! :lol:

• tirebiter

Posted January 14, 2007 - 06:06 AM

I wear baggy over the boot riding pants & found that I can strap an extra power band next to my kneepad, pull the leg over it and still keep it clean.
I know, it's a pain to change a power band on the trail, but I've got it down to an art now. :lol:

• blueridge

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:26 AM

The red powerband is Honda; the yellow, Zook; the green, Kawa; the blue, Yamaha; orange, Katoom. There's also one made of lead with a mysterious suspension that is removed in a model for off-road.

• destroyer_au

Posted January 15, 2007 - 05:53 AM

No, they are not compatible... The L is a motorcycle, the R is just a dirt bike! :lol:

Just a dirt bike? Take that back! :confused:

• CANADIAN BACON

Posted January 15, 2007 - 03:01 PM

And I thought I had Cabin Fever..

• oldKTMer

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:14 PM

Just a dirt bike? Take that back! :confused:

Make me.... :crazy:
on second thought, have a beer :lol:

• perry5150

Posted January 16, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Ok Thank You But Whats A Powerband

• destroyer_au

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:04 AM

Make me.... :confused:
on second thought, have a beer :lol:

Beer sounds good ;-)

• gialinn

Posted January 18, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Pre-rvfc here, I got a purple powerband stock. Like to try that rainbow one, but I'm not man enough to handle the stigma.

The L is great becouse the gearing is space wide. You can get buy with 3-6teeth difference in the back or two in the front. I run a 48/14 for higher speeds and drop to a 48/13 for crawlin. Works great and top two gears are still high enought to go highway speeds even with the 13/48 combo. 1st lets me sit on the bike and walk my legs for stability like when I hit solid Ice last weekend. Guess I shouldn't ride above 2000' in 25 degree weather. Oh, well it was worth it. Bike grips better on Ice then I like to know.

• rocky one

Posted June 09, 2008 - 12:27 PM

I Think The Red, White, And Blue Power Band Are The Best......cost About $51.50 At Your Local Honda Shop......just Ask About The Power Bands....they'll Probally Show U A Whole Book Of Em....

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.