Upgrading from 2 stroke KX250

2 replies to this topic
  • Jaffa

Posted January 10, 2007 - 04:51 PM

I'm looking to upgrade from my 1988 KX250 to a 1999 YZ400F. That's a technology jump of 11 years :lol:

I noticed that the dry weight of the YZ400F is almost the same as my KX250 (231lbs vs 213lbs). I already have a 95 KLX650 but it's a dual sport and just too heavy out on the trails (337lbs). I'm 6' tall, and weigh around 180.

I was just wondering if there's anything I should watch out for with this bike. Are there any common problems that I should be aware of? Or should I stick with my old KX250? (I love the speed of the 2 stroke)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahacrazy_310

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:15 AM

It maybe a technology jump of 11 years but your still 8 years behind in the technology department you should I would get something newer like an 03 YZ450F those are dependable bikes and there lighter and much faster then a YZ400F and your old KX250.

• jayh300

Posted January 11, 2007 - 09:35 AM

Well... as hind sight is always crystal clear....
I just kinda did the same. From a 1994 rmx250 2 stroke suzuki, to a 1999 yz400f, I will fill you in on what I have learned.
1. Learn the starting procedure. These bike with manual decomp are different to get going, and if you don't know how to start it, it is a long day.
2. Change all fluids and oil filter. I would recomend putting something like engine ice coolant in it. The yz400f's do not like to idle for any amount of time, or ride slow, the no air flow over the radiators will make them overheat very quickly. the header will actually glow red .
3. Get a good manual on it. The maint is all different on the 4 stroke.
If I had mine to do over..... I would prolly have waited and bought a 450. But I did not know if I would like the 4 stroke at all, never had one. It is a different ride, and even though the new are way fast, the 400 is no slouch.
mine will wheelie in any gear, any speed.
good luck
jay

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.