1st gear out and ticking yz400

3 replies to this topic
  • dhix450r

Posted January 10, 2007 - 03:25 PM

hi everyone. i have a 98 yz400f and in 1st gear my bike makes a ticking noise and 1st gear does not engage. i bought it from my buddy for dirt cheap thinking it was just a gear in the trans. but after tearing it apart i found not even a chipped tooth. i think the noise was part of the water pump impeller in the flywheel grinding up, but anyway could it be a bent shift fork? what's your opinion.
thanks for the help

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2007 - 04:46 PM

If it will not engage first, and makes noise when placed in first, then Either you have some condition preventing the full rotation of the shift cam into first, or you have a damaged 1st gear wheel, 5th gear wheel (both on the countershaft), and a damaged #3 shift fork.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dhix450r

Posted January 11, 2007 - 03:34 PM

thanks. i have a complete trans coming guaranteed from ebay and the water pump impeller shaft from my local yamy dealer. hopefully all my parts will b in by next week. and ridin on sunday!!!!!!!!!1

• dhix450r

Posted January 20, 2007 - 09:05 PM

well i got my new trans in today. and in disassembly of the old tranny i found that the driven first gear (onthe output shaft) was comlpletly rounded off where the dogs engage it causing 1st not to lock in. and the fourth gear shift fork was all boogered up and the combination of the 2 was causing my noise. next week my new piston will b here and hopefully my first ride on my first thumper will happen next weekend. woohooo!!!!!!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.