1986 xr 600 rear wheel question

6 replies to this topic
  • jhobbs

Posted January 10, 2007 - 02:46 PM

I have a 1986 xr 600r with the factory 17" rear wheel and drum brakes. Not only is it hard to find aggressive tires for, but traction is non-existant on most terrain. Has anyone ever swapped out this rear wheel for an 18" either from a later model xr, or any other make/model? What about a disk brake conversion?

• bcone

Posted January 10, 2007 - 03:17 PM

Check out Bike Bandit for a pretty good slection of rear dirt tires in 17".
I actually swapped my XR650L rear to a 17" so I could occasionally throw a dirt tire on instead of my supermoto tire. I run an Avon Distanzia 130/80 in the back for my highway days and for dirt road riding. As for a disk brake... you might be in for swapping rear swing arms. There is an XR650L rear on ebay right now if you decide to go that route.

• cleonard

Posted January 10, 2007 - 04:12 PM

I have a 1986 xr 600r with the factory 17" rear wheel and drum brakes. Not only is it hard to find aggressive tires for, but traction is non-existant on most terrain. Has anyone ever swapped out this rear wheel for an 18" either from a later model xr, or any other make/model? What about a disk brake conversion?

When I had my XR500 with that hateful 17 inch rim, I ran the IRC VE33 tire. I think it was the best available tire for the dirt. There are a few more choices, the MAxxis M6001 is OK too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lhark

Posted January 10, 2007 - 05:26 PM

I used the big TerraFlex 17 on mine, and it worked pretty good. I don't know if the thing is still available. It was fairly expensive, but wore well. It threw rocks and clods of dirt like nothing else. If I recall, it was had an odd size designation.....

• bcone

Posted January 10, 2007 - 06:34 PM

Check out the link in the "Best tires for an XRR" thread. Several sizes for a 17" available. What is so horrible about 17"s anyway?

• jhobbs

Posted January 10, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Don't get me wrong, a 17" tire is not a bad size tire to have. With the weight and power of the bike, as well as the local terrain, a 17" tire just doesnt last long. Compared to my fiends xr 400 with an 18" rear, my 17" looks like a pizza cutter. Thats why i want an 18". Besides, my drum brakes suck so an 18" wheel/disk brake conversion would be a major improvement in ride quality.

• bcone

Posted January 10, 2007 - 09:26 PM

I'm with you on the rear disk but you might be better off getting a new bike rather than try for the parts swap.

As for tires, it sounds like your running a pretty thin rear tire and in fact they make some really fat rear tires for that rim. I run a 130/90 on the back of my 650 and it is more beefy than the stock tire for sure. That does not sound like it will address how long the tire will last but you should also look at what type of terrain the tire is rated for. Soft tires on rock will get chewed up fast.

Sorry can't help with the disk conversion. Be interested to see if anyone has any advice...

I'd check what your running now and shop for something bigger.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.