Stripped Magnetic Drain Plug and Frame! WTF! and How To Fix?

30 replies to this topic
  • Boston Mangler

Posted January 10, 2007 - 06:02 AM

Hey Guys

Last time i did an oil change i simply reinstalled my XRs only Aluminum magnetic drain plugs, they installed easy and were torqued to spec.

I go to change my oil this weekend and the one in the frame is VERY hard to get out and once i get it out, the threads on both the plug and the frame were badly cross threaded.

The plug went in easy last time and was properly torqued to spec. How on earth does this happen and why? Anyone else experience this?

Any recommendations on how to fix it? Simple tap or helicoil?

I like the magnetic drain plugs and think they are a good idea, but i think this one was defective or something. Anyone know where i could get some STEEL ones?

Thanks for any advice! :lol:

• creeky

Posted January 10, 2007 - 06:59 AM

I had the same problem several years ago with aluminum plugs. This is just my take on it, maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed more light on this. I know that electrolysis can occur between two dissimilar metals and cause them to fuse together, this may have something to do with the problem. Also, it is easy to overtighten the aluminum plug and distort the threads and when you remove the plug, the threads are damaged. I went back to steel plugs. In my case, simply chasing the threads in the frame with a tap fixed my problem. If your threads are beyond repair, a heli-coil or an insert repair will probably work. I always use anti-seize on spark plugs and on steel screws going into aluminum threads to prevent electrolysis and to facilitate later removal without damaging threads.

• rebelventurer

Posted January 10, 2007 - 05:50 PM

yep, bad move only buy the stainless plug if any, other than stock. First you can not torque the aluminum near as much, cause it so much softer than steel, automatically crossthreads when torqued, then you must also isolate the dissimilar metals with antisieze. The heat cycles the frame goes through also helps the corrosion occur. Note, you can use the aluminum plug in the engine with no problems, but I prefer the stockers.
Now the bad news best fix would be to weld up the hole, drill and tap for stock plug. Helicoil would work maybe hate to find out it didnt while riding though. Third option, drill and tap for an oversize plug, probably the most economic, with a bit of piece of mind thrown in!
That little bit of bling, that was the first thing covered with dirt, kind of dont make sense now! :lol:

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 10, 2007 - 06:52 PM

I had a ZipTy aluminum plug in the motor and it busted off while being removed, no warning just a snap. Had to drill it out then found the magnetic tip stayed in the motor. Luckily the little KLX has a removable plate behind the shifter and over the drain plug. The magnet was stuck to the shifter star, boy was I happy. Any other bike and I would have had to split the cases. Long story just to say use a steel plug, the magnet won't seperate.

• calxi

Posted January 10, 2007 - 10:17 PM

Changed my oil this weekend. Had an XR's only magnetic frame plug. Nearly identical results. The aluminum portion of the plug that was drilled for the magnetic broke off and remained in the frame. I used a punch and hammered out the magnet and caught it with an allen key inserted in through the hole located adjacent to the frame plug. With the magnet removed, a screw extractor brought the remaining portion of the aluminum threaded plug right on out. This plug was installed on the previous oil change! Chasing the threads with the OEM steel plug cleaned it up. p.o.s.

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 11, 2007 - 05:52 AM

Looks like these plugs are very suspect to say the least!

:lol:

• frankstr

Posted January 11, 2007 - 06:25 AM

What a bummer.:confused: I'd fix it with a helicoil, easy fix...:lol:

:crazy: :lol:

• LumpyXR650L

Posted January 11, 2007 - 02:03 PM

Hi Guys,
After reading these stories of the stripped threads I ran out to the garage and took out my xr's only plug and put the stock one back in the frame. I see that xr's only now has stainless steel frame plugs for the xr650r but not the xr650l. Or are the frame plugs the same for both bikes? If not does anyone know where to get a stainless steel plug for the L? Thanks....Lumpy

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 11, 2007 - 04:28 PM

I would love to find some steel plugs as well.

I can only find them for the "R". Are they the same???

• xr650l bum

Posted January 11, 2007 - 06:13 PM

I would love to find some steel plugs as well.

I can only find them for the "R". Are they the same???

:confused:

I guess you arent getting your Pm's! Magneticdrainplug.com; motorcycletoystore.com If you guys would take 5 min to search the internet. :lol: ;)

Mangler hurry up and fix it so we can go on that night ride!! :worthy: :crazy: :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LumpyXR650L

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Thanks XR650LBum,
Here is a link for the frame magnetic drain plug STEEL. $8.99 + $2.20 S/H. I emailed this place and this is the correct plug for a XR650L frame.

http://www.magneticd...Plugs/MP07.html

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:09 AM

I guess you arent getting your Pm's! Magneticdrainplug.com; motorcycletoystore.com If you guys would take 5 min to search the internet.

Yes i am, i checked BOTH sites and only see the R listed :lol:

Thanks for that link Lumpy, how did you determine that was the right plug? Curious

• xr650l bum

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:26 AM

Yes i am, i checked BOTH sites and only see the R listed :lol:

Thanks for that link Lumpy, how did you determine that was the right plug? Curious

Magneticdrainplug.com has a search to find the right plug for your bike! I got my frame plug from there, and was extremely happy! It is a very long bolt, which puts the magnetic well into the stream of oil, and the magnet is so strong its impressive.

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:28 AM

Magneticdrainplug.com has a search to find the right plug for your bike!

EDIT: I see whats wrong, they dont have the 650L in as an 06 model. If i typed in 04 it works and brings up the MP-01

Anyone know if this the FRAME plug or the ENGINE plug?

I got my frame plug from there, and was extremely happy! It is a very long bolt, which puts the magnetic well into the stream of oil, and the magnet is so strong its impressive.

Cool! Good to know, i just ordered one! Do you have the MP01?

• xr650l bum

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Do you have the MP01?[/QUOTE]

Let me go through my old receipts and I will let you know! :lol:

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 12, 2007 - 07:59 AM

Thanks

• LumpyXR650L

Posted January 12, 2007 - 12:13 PM

MP-01 is for the engine. MP-07 is for the frame. I had to email and ask them which one fit the frame. If you just do a search from their site it will only show you the MP-01 bolt for the engine. Lumpy

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 12, 2007 - 12:55 PM

MP-01 is for the engine. MP-07 is for the frame. I had to email and ask them which one fit the frame. If you just do a search from their site it will only show you the MP-01 bolt for the engine. Lumpy

Shouldnt the engine one be aluminum to match with the aluminum engine case? :lol:

Damn, i ordered the wrong one! Arggg

• xr650l bum

Posted January 12, 2007 - 02:44 PM

[quote name='Boston Mangler']Shouldnt the engine one be aluminum to match with the aluminum engine case? :

You would think, but the bolts and such that keep the engine together are stainless. I took a magnet to the magnetic plug in my engine and it did attract, but that just may be the magnet on the bolt. It looks to be aluminum. I will check next oil change by scraping the metal.

• gabriel

Posted July 19, 2007 - 08:45 AM

FYI: those magnetic drain bolts don't do shit.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.