offset triple or Stormlink?

22 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:36 AM

I'm totally in agreement with mountainman. There's just no way I'm gonna convince the wife that a new bike is in the works, although I'd love to get an 06' or an 07'. I realize (along with mountain'), that you're just not gonna get an 03'-05' to handle like an 06', it's a pipe-dream...but why not try to squeeze as much as possible from the pre-06' models??

The Stormlink definately helped my bike (especially since i got it for $75), resetting the sag to about 102mm, replacing the front tire with a Pirelli Scorpion Pro, and I'm going to try raising the fork tubes from 5mm to 7 mm. Other than it's so-so turning, I love this bike for it's Power, and dependability. Not one problem so far, except for a blown fork seal. Maybe as Mountain' wrote, the stock radiator could possibly use the DR. D lowering kit (maybe needing some retrofitting), along with routing the upper hose in front of the stem. If MXA magazine wrote:

"You'll never find another mod that can improve the handling of your bike so much for so little money" and later "This is a must-have product" (February 2007) Than I would think it's worth experimenting with.

Gray, I realize I may be barking up the wrong tree, but IF I could lower the radiators about an inch, don't you think that would be relatively substantial??
If it requires new Radiator's, than I think the effectiveness wouldn't be worth it, but if I can use the existing rad's somehow, it's worth a shot.

Mountain', gotta admire your "Can-do" attitude, let me know if you come up with any brainstorms on doing this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:37 PM

hey finally someone agrees with my half fast ways:banana: i just got back in from trying to fit the 06 lowering kit. there are a couple issues besides having to run the hose around the stem. 1st is the header pipe will be a problem unless you run a lowboy header. (white bros,Dr.D,or FMF makes one) even though the brackets allow for forward movement i run rad gaurds that won't allow any more forward due to fender clearance:thumbsdn: this might not be such a big issue with the stock rads as i run fluidynes:excuseme: 2nd the 06 rads must not have that bolt behind the rad as its not in the destructions. 3rd i found a pinhole in one of the cores of the fluidynes so... i'm just gonna get the PWR's and a FMF lowboy header pipe and be done with it! worth it? probly not..but ya only go round once:ride: hey flint i'll give ya the lowering kit 1/2 off if ya want it. i just loose fitted it and didn't hurt anything,maybe it'll work with the stockers:thumbsup:

• flintlock28

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Mountain', Yeah I just might be interested in getting the kit 1/2 off...I'll let you know. I briefly had time to go out in the garage. I think your absoulutely right about the header is gonna interfere if the rad is lowered substantially. If the stock rad's are used, how do you go about using a hose to go around the stem?? I guess you gotta de-weld the upper tubes, or jury rig something?? Let me know. I won't have time to go out in the garage tonight and visualize everything.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.