Gas Tank breather hose wont stop leaking

19 replies to this topic
  • sean06

Posted January 09, 2007 - 09:47 PM

This is with the stock breather, and the arrow is pointing to the tank like it shows. I have even tried 2 different shorty vent tube kits, which also leaked. It does this even with a half tank. I end up with gas all over the front fender. Any ideas on how to fix this.

thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:18 PM

Buy a new gas cap. It's bad.

• DrThumper

Posted January 10, 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hey Gray, where did your avatar go?
As far as the gas cap, I had that happen to me, but I just blew it out with the compressor (in the right direction, inside to outside), cleaned it right up, started working fine.

BTW-isn't "Grey" the color and "Gray" the modifier. As in Grey Hair, or Gray-blue hair...?

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2007 - 01:56 PM

BTW-isn't "Grey" the color and "Gray" the modifier. As in Grey Hair, or Gray-blue hair...?

It broke,apparently. I'll have to re-upload it when I get home.

As to your second question, I get this from Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: 1gray
Variant(s): also grey /'grA/
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gr[AE]g; akin to Old High German grIs, grAo gray
1 a : of the color gray b : tending toward gray <blue-gray eyes> c : dull in color
2 : having the hair gray : HOARY
3 : clothed in gray
4 a : lacking cheer or brightness in mood, outlook, style, or flavor; also : DISMAL, GLOOMY <a gray day> b : prosaically ordinary : DULL, UNINTERESTING
5 : having an intermediate and often vaguely defined position, condition, or character <an ethically gray area>

I like 4 and 5 the best. :lol:

"grey" is listed as a variant of "gray"

• av

Posted January 10, 2007 - 03:09 PM

It broke,apparently. I'll have to re-upload it when I get home.

As to your second question, I get this from Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: 1gray
Variant(s): also grey /'grA/
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gr[AE]g; akin to Old High German grIs, grAo gray
1 a : of the color gray b : tending toward gray <blue-gray eyes> c : dull in color
2 : having the hair gray : HOARY
3 : clothed in gray
4 a : lacking cheer or brightness in mood, outlook, style, or flavor; also : DISMAL, GLOOMY <a gray day> b : prosaically ordinary : DULL, UNINTERESTING
5 : having an intermediate and often vaguely defined position, condition, or character <an ethically gray area>

I like 4 and 5 the best. :confused:

"grey" is listed as a variant of "gray"

So you're claiming that you're a person that is "lacking cheer or brightness in mood, outlook, style, or flavor"? You're also "DISMAL, GLOOMY, DULL, & UNINTERESTING"? :lol:

Now, now, I think you're a swell guy :confused:

You might need to increase the antidepressant med just a tad though... :crazy:

• sean06

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Thats sweet this is a brand new bike:(

• Ranger18

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:44 AM

Thats sweet this is a brand new bike:(

The same thing happend to me on my new 06, after one ride. The gas cap is defective. Go buy a new gas cap, I picked up a billet one on ebay for about $30.

• red7

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:42 AM

WHat are those shorty vent hoses for anyway? One of the stores I bought online from just threw a blue one in the box and I never did anything with it. Is it worth putting on?

• kylwk1500

Posted January 17, 2007 - 11:35 AM

i dont think they serve much function different than the stock hose, but they do look cool

• tmauto69

Posted January 17, 2007 - 02:23 PM

As far as the gas cap, I had that happen to me, but I just blew it out with the compressor (in the right direction, inside to outside), cleaned it right up, started working fine.

eh, I think it goes from outside to inside. So when the gas is pouring out of the petcock into the carb, air is entering the tank through the vent hose. Also when the bike is laying on it's side gas doesn't pour out of the vent. But you probably just knocked something loose when you did it backwards.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted January 17, 2007 - 02:25 PM

What I don't understand about the short ones is how they work, i.e. how and when does the gas vent out? I understand the stock ones since it's routed to the bottom of the bike but if the bike gets laid down does the gas just seap out of the top of the shorty onto the tank or me if I'm laying under the bike? Just curious what the planned function is even if it doesn't work "better" than stock.

• tmauto69

Posted January 17, 2007 - 02:51 PM

They are just one way valves, they let air in but not out. Or gas either for that matter. No better than stock, they are just bling items.

• zcookie49

Posted January 17, 2007 - 03:36 PM

yeah, they are bling items, plus you dont have to have the long hose routed down the # plate all the time you fill up.
My bike is doing the same thing, would have gas on my seat, was thinking that my short vent cap was defective.
so it is the gas caps, huh.

• red7

Posted January 22, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Bling items that don't work! I just threw my short hose on and the thing leaks gas bad. Put the stock long hose on and no problem. Am I supposed to use the first portion of the stock hose that has it's own valve on it and stick the shorty hose to that? Any ideas why it would be leaking? NOt sure why anyone would pay to "upgrade" to a leaky hose.

• Ranger18

Posted January 23, 2007 - 04:17 PM

Bling items that don't work! I just threw my short hose on and the thing leaks gas bad. Put the stock long hose on and no problem. Am I supposed to use the first portion of the stock hose that has it's own valve on it and stick the shorty hose to that? Any ideas why it would be leaking? NOt sure why anyone would pay to "upgrade" to a leaky hose.

Are you positive that it's not leaking, or is that you don't notice it leaking onto your front fender through the long hose. I put a shorty on my bike from day one. (it was left over from my old bike) Then I knoticed it leaking all over my tank and seat. I put the stock hose back on, and thought it went away, but then when I was washing my bike I saw the gas resadue all over the front fender. Ordered a new gas cap and tryed both the shorty and the factory hoses and neither of them leak. Persoonally I like the longer hoses after having had a shorty. To bling it out a bit, I am running a blue hose rather than the black hose. If you have a leak it is most likely the gas cap, especially on an 06/07 yamaha.

• red7

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:30 PM

No, I haven't noticed any gas or gas residue on my front fender. The bike is brand new and it just started leaking once I put on the shorty. The stock one is now back on.

• red7

Posted January 27, 2007 - 10:18 PM

Are you positive that it's not leaking, or is that you don't notice it leaking onto your front fender through the long hose. I put a shorty on my bike from day one. (it was left over from my old bike) Then I knoticed it leaking all over my tank and seat. I put the stock hose back on, and thought it went away, but then when I was washing my bike I saw the gas resadue all over the front fender. Ordered a new gas cap and tryed both the shorty and the factory hoses and neither of them leak. Persoonally I like the longer hoses after having had a shorty. To bling it out a bit, I am running a blue hose rather than the black hose. If you have a leak it is most likely the gas cap, especially on an 06/07 yamaha.

This is weird because I never noticed gas leakage before trying out that shorty vent but now that I went back to the stock hose it's leaking on my front fender. I'm not saying it wasn't doing it before but I never noticed it. So the gas cap is bad even though I just got the bike a few weeks ago? Would the shop warranty it or should I just buy a new one? What aftermarket caps are not going to give me the same problem?

• Ranger18

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:49 AM

This is weird because I never noticed gas leakage before trying out that shorty vent but now that I went back to the stock hose it's leaking on my front fender. I'm not saying it wasn't doing it before but I never noticed it. So the gas cap is bad even though I just got the bike a few weeks ago? Would the shop warranty it or should I just buy a new one? What aftermarket caps are not going to give me the same problem?

They might warranty it, but I'm not sure. This is definatly becoming a problem with a lot of people. I just went on ebay and found a cap. I got it through the company pit posse, and it's billet. Here are some links, the first one is black and the second one is polished. I haven't had any problems with my new one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...14453QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/...14454QQtcZphoto

• red7

Posted January 29, 2007 - 06:18 PM

They might warranty it, but I'm not sure. This is definatly becoming a problem with a lot of people. I just went on ebay and found a cap. I got it through the company pit posse, and it's billet. Here are some links, the first one is black and the second one is polished. I haven't had any problems with my new one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...14453QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/...14454QQtcZphoto

Yeah, I came across those on ebay as well. How much time do you have on yours? The price is right compared to the ones on TT but I don't want to get something sent down here in Mexico only to find out that it leaks as well.

• Ranger18

Posted January 30, 2007 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, I came across those on ebay as well. How much time do you have on yours? The price is right compared to the ones on TT but I don't want to get something sent down here in Mexico only to find out that it leaks as well.

I've had the new cap on since June 06, and I ride 3-4 times a month at the track. And I probably put 3 hours of riding in each time. Sorry I just got an hour meter so I can't be more specific. I would go either way TT or ebay. The one I have from ebay really seams to be a quality piece, with good machining.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.