oil drain bolt is striped out

17 replies to this topic
  • yzrider84

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:57 PM

alrght my brother is out of town and my bikes in the shop soo i was going to ride his bike at the track tomorrow and i went to change the oil, and i over tightened the bolt, and it jus keeps spinning now, and wont get tight and it drips oil. help me please. its the oil drain bolt off a 2006 yzf 450 the one on the left side any thing please my brother will be back in 2 days im scared

• probikerguy2

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:02 PM

i did the same thing on my 426 , went to my local auto parts dealer picked up a helicoil(thread inserts) , drilled the bottom of the cases put in the new threads and put in a larger car drainbolt , quick and easy :lol:

• yzrider84

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:14 PM

alright thank you do you know how much a helicoil is?

• probikerguy2

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:33 PM

um it really depends...i went to one place it was like $20 and another was $70 (which is way too much) just call up your local auto parts stores and see who has the best deal. it was quick and easy, didnt have to remove anything off the bike.

• rexbond007

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:34 PM

alright thank you do you know how much a helicoil is?

cheap, compared to how pissed your bro is going to be!

• yzrider84

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:40 PM

i know hes gonna whop my lil a$$ im scared i hope this works thank you

• BergArabia

Posted January 09, 2007 - 09:48 PM

Scary stuff.
Be careful while drilling it out..

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:22 PM

If I were you, I'd suck it up and go have the Heli-Coil installed by the shop, just so there's no more mistakes. Botched Heli-Coil installations are not much fun to straighten out.

• yama02yz250f

Posted January 10, 2007 - 12:01 PM

although grayracers words are as good as golden in my book, i stripped the threads on the head holding the decompression assembly in a few days ago. I was really freaking but grayracer told me to get a helicoil. I did that and it was real easy to install and im just a learning weekend mechanic. My advice would be to practice a lot on some scrap metal or something and have a sharp drill bit. If you have doubts after practicing then maybe for sure take it to a shop. I would just be little worried about the shavings when drilling it out. but hold greyracers advice much higher then mine and if you have the money id just take it to the shop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted January 10, 2007 - 12:39 PM

Stop!!!!!!!!! do not put a heli coil in it!!!

That is the correct fix, but it is not your bike!!!!! If it was my bike the last thing I would want is someone messing it up worse by doinng a botched heli coil job.

Wait til the owner of the bike sees the damage and then he can decide how he wants it fixed. Then, you pay for it of course.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2007 - 12:48 PM

Stop!!!!!!!!! do not put a heli coil in it!!!

That is the correct fix, but it is not your bike!!!!! If it was my bike the last thing I would want is someone messing it up worse by doinng a botched heli coil job.

Wait til the owner of the bike sees the damage and then he can decide how he wants it fixed. Then, you pay for it of course.

That's an even better version of what I said. :lol:

• yzrider84

Posted January 10, 2007 - 01:04 PM

ohh man im sure gonna have my a$$ handed too me when the owner, my brother finds out what i did too his bike while i was gone. i hope taking it too the shop isnt too expensive?

• ditchound

Posted January 10, 2007 - 05:31 PM

These work better then a heli coil and are a longer lasting fix for stripped threads especially on a bolt that is removed often, like the drain bolt.

http://www.timesert....l/mtrcsert.html

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 10, 2007 - 09:45 PM

These work better then a heli coil and are a longer lasting fix for stripped threads especially on a bolt that is removed often, like the drain bolt.

http://www.timesert....l/mtrcsert.html

timeserts are way better, i used on of my 250f oil filter cover bolt and it works great..

also what did your bother say when he found out??

• Jekel

Posted January 21, 2007 - 11:14 PM

Are you still alive? I ahve to say I agree with Wyatt. I know I used the helicoil when I fixed mine.

• Mike McCutcheon

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:22 PM

Amen, Wyatt! Tell the truth about what happened, get it done by whoever your brother decides and pay for it. You keep his trust by fessing up. It was just a mistake anyway (unless he didn't say you could ride it).

• gjones

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:47 AM

OK, so add me to the list of idiots who overtightened the lower drain bolt on an '06 450. I plan to use the timesert for the fix but do not know what size kit to order. Obviously this will require removing the motor from the frame, but does anyone know what size timesert kit to use to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2007 - 09:09 AM

I'm fairly sure it's an 8x1.25mn ISO thread.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.