xr 650l slow jet,needle, main ?

5 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:30 PM

I am trying to fine tune my carb on my xr650l. It was running way to rich. I have since down sized all jets, and have slowly been bringing jet size up and backing out the needle. I have been checking my plug every couple hundred miles, and adjusting accordingly. It runs great, but does have minor pop in the 2-3 gear decel. Plug is not browning enough, so its needs a little more gas. I have two clicks left to back out the needle. How far is to far? What is the relation of the needle to the jets? I believe I have it now at 158 slow and 160 Main so we can forgo those questions. Thank you for your help!

• goblin127

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:35 PM

What worked for me was 58 slow and 160 main with the stock needle shimmed .025. and thats with the air box snorkle removed and a full aftermarket exaust. (XRs only)

• xr650l bum

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:45 PM

What worked for me was 58 slow and 160 main with the stock needle shimmed .025. and thats with the air box snorkle removed and a full aftermarket exaust. (XRs only)

Thank you for replying! What you are running does not answer my question! I to have all dave mods, de snorkle, and full exhaust. Every time someone asks a carb question it seems that everyone wants to say what there running. Yes its nice to know that we are all close, but there is fine tunning for different machines even though they have the same mods!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted January 10, 2007 - 09:06 AM

Bum, if you are running the DJ needle its hard for folks to relate their experience because more folks run the stock needle shimmed.

Just for grins, is that a 160 DJ main or a 160 keihin?

Are you happy with the full-throttle jetting?

Dave

• xr650l bum

Posted January 10, 2007 - 10:20 AM

I figured you would take on the task of answering my question! Thanks Dave. I was going to go the short route and just PM you. Lets answer this in public so that everyone can help to understand. I dont remember who the maker of the jets are. I have purchased many so I am not sure which are in right now. I am running the DJ needle, because I like the adjustable clip!

Let me ask my question another way! When you back out the needle to give the carb more fuel, does this give the carb more gas over the hole spectrum of performance? Or is it just confined helping slow jet, Idle, or full throttle performance?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 10, 2007 - 03:22 PM

I figured you would take on the task of answering my question! Thanks Dave. I was going to go the short route and just PM you. Lets answer this in public so that everyone can help to understand. I dont remember who the maker of the jets are. I have purchased many so I am not sure which are in right now. I am running the DJ needle, because I like the adjustable clip!

Let me ask my question another way! When you back out the needle to give the carb more fuel, does this give the carb more gas over the hole spectrum of performance? Or is it just confined helping slow jet, Idle, or full throttle performance?

As I understand it, at full throttle (on the XRL this will be whenever the slide happens to be full-open, if that can happen at part-throttle on the butterfly) the needle is just about all the way out of the needle seat, and is supposed to have no effect on the jetting.

The needle is tapered, so by rasing the needle relative to the slide (backing it out) you richen the jetting for the main circuit, at all throttle settings where the main jet is feeding fuel and its less than full throttle.. The pilot circuit is supposed to be 'out of the loop' fairly early (at low throttle settings).

idle- pilot circuit only (needle does nothing)

small amount of throttle- pilot and main circuit (needle has some influence, a lot? a little?)

more throttle- pilot circuit has little to no influence, its all the main jet and the needle.

even more throttle- def. no influence from the pilot circuit

full throttle- main jet only influences the mixture.

I've seen diagrams where the throttle settings above are described as 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full throttle. With this dang CV carb, who knows? I usually figure the pilot is out of the picture somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle.

I have speculated in the past that if you use the DJ needle, you need to use a DJ jet, and if you use a keihin needle, you have to use a keihin jet. I know the DJ jets are shaped diff. than a keihin jet. Some funky stuff may happen if you mix-n-match.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.