06/07 450 woods riding advice???

8 replies to this topic
  • sean mps

Posted January 09, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Im looking at getting a new 450 either 06 or 07 depending on funds, but was wondering if there is any cheap mods that can be done to make them more friendly for enduro and wood riding.

I was thinking mainly suspension to soak roots and rocks up? I have heard by dropping the oil heigh in the outer camber makes it more plush? Is that true? And also thinking about retarding timing to ease the power off a bit.
Big problem is i ride both enduro and motox so need something that can be altered relatively easy.

Is there any advice with this bike and what other parts maybe a good investment for both motox and enduro? Was thinking sump guard for starters and handguards. Possibly CDI so i cud later power curve.

Does any one know how long a yzf will last on standard tank?

Thanks

• flintlock28

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:01 PM

I can't speak for the 06' and 07' models, but the 03, 04', 05' seem to give about 50 miles out of a tank of gas when trail ridden. Remember, your mileage may very, but this is a general consensus.

You can also add an aftermarket tank (i.e. IMS, Clarke, Zip-Ty) that may yield you 3.1 or 3.3 gallons or so, giving you a lot more range.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:20 PM

I was thinking mainly suspension to soak roots and rocks up? I have heard by dropping the oil heigh in the outer camber makes it more plush? Is that true? And also thinking about retarding timing to ease the power off a bit.

Yes, it is, but do it in very small increments. MXA did tried removing 10cc from each side, and ended up putting 5cc back. You might consider lighter springs, too, depending on your weight.

I don't recommend retarding the timing. You can't adjust it except by slotting the stator plate, anyway. You could install and after market CDI such as a Vortex and use one of the less aggressive maps, but the engine is very smooth already, and you may want to try it a little longer before you fiddle with that. A heavier flywheel might be more what you need.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:18 PM

A GTYR Offroad fly wheel straight from Yamaha will work wonders. A large skid plate and some hands guards .... you will love it for both mx and off road use.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sean mps

Posted January 10, 2007 - 10:10 AM

Yes, it is, but do it in very small increments. MXA did tried removing 10cc from each side, and ended up putting 5cc back. You might consider lighter springs, too, depending on your weight.

I don't recommend retarding the timing. You can't adjust it except by slotting the stator plate, anyway. You could install and after market CDI such as a Vortex and use one of the less aggressive maps, but the engine is very smooth already, and you may want to try it a little longer before you fiddle with that. A heavier flywheel might be more what you need.

Thanks for somments. I was also thinking about maybe using the wr stator would that be set to be more retarded? Main reason of thinking as i know david knights mechanic told me that is what they did on his 525 to make it pull like a train whithout been hard work after been in the saddle for 6 hours.

Im currently around 200 pounds but will drop a bit over next few months so was thinking standard springs and dropping 10cc's for enduro use.

Are the aftermarket CDI's 100% reliable? And is there going to any jeting changes needed?
This is going to be my first 4stroke and rode a prety much standard yz 250 thought motor was good for enduro even in mx trim but never got suspsension worked out on clickers only, was hoping the oil height trick would work nice and was worried that the 450 would be too much??

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2007 - 10:14 AM

I was also thinking about maybe using the wr stator

The ignition timing wouldn't be much different, although the ignition map probably would.

Unfortunately, no part of the WR ignition system will fit on a YZ450 of any year. Even the crankcases are different.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 10, 2007 - 10:25 AM

If you are used to riding a YZ250 then you won't have any problem with the power delivery of the stock 450...I would ride it for awhile before deciding if you want to retard the timing. My bet is that you will like it the way it is.

Get a good skidplate, handguards, and if you are going to be riding tight single-track then you may want to change your gearing as first gear is fairly tall for tight riding.

• SUnruh

Posted January 10, 2007 - 10:28 AM

Are the aftermarket CDI's 100% reliable?

the vortex is. last time i talked with Mike, he said he's never had one fail.
pretty tall words from the single importer for all of north america.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2007 - 11:48 AM

That's like the answers you get from the tech assistance people at Toyota. You tell them you have a failed whatever component, and their response is generally, "Really? That's the first one we ever heard of."

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.