Installing a CR style front brake line on an '03

11 replies to this topic
  • YzGuy79

Posted January 09, 2007 - 12:37 PM

I just bought a Galfer line for my bike.
What are people using to secure the line to the fork guard? I'm thinking of using the little clamp at the bottom of the fork. Moving it to just below the stock guard.
But what hardware (bolts or washers) will clear the guides at the top of the protector?
I don't think I can use standard bolts, as they will hit the guides when the fork compresses.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 12:51 PM

I modified the stock brake hose clamp to close it up some and attached it to a set of Lightspeed fork guards. Works well.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 09, 2007 - 01:33 PM

I modified the stock brake hose clamp to close it up some and attached it to a set of Lightspeed fork guards. Works well.

my lightspeed fork guards came with a nice CF bracket....

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:04 PM

Were yours the carbon fiber ver$ion? The ones I used were the $40 plastic replicas I linked to. The cable hanger is cast on, just like the '05 and up parts.

• flintlock28

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:51 PM

Private message a guy here on TT named oldblue. He makes a real nice clamp for exactly what you've done. I've used it on my 04' Yz450f, and it works great.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 09, 2007 - 05:02 PM

Were yours the carbon fiber ver$ion? The ones I used were the $40 plastic replicas I linked to. The cable hanger is cast on, just like the '05 and up parts.

Grey I ordered the plastic and it included the CF bracket - very nice prduct btw...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John407

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:21 PM

I put a CRF hose on my '03 using the stock fork guards. I'm using 2 small hose clamps to secure the hose. I put a small slit in the two guides that the stock hose runs thru. (on the front of the guard) This set-up doesn't look quite as nice as the other styles mentioned, but it's worked well for me since the bike was new and the cost is about 50 cents.

• TexN343

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:28 PM

Just curious but is there any performance gain by routing your brake line this way? Is it just a "cool" thing to do after you tweaked your bike to the moon?

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:35 PM

There's a gain in feel from using a steel hose regardless of the routing. Much more solid.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 10, 2007 - 05:49 AM

Just curious but is there any performance gain by routing your brake line this way? Is it just a "cool" thing to do after you tweaked your bike to the moon?

braking performance is gained - by having a shorter brakeline...SS brakeline will always be better than a stock. The stock flexes a lot more during braking equaling a spongier feel at the lever. Honda had a patent on this for years - that is why yamis couldn't come this way stock - patent expired - now everyone can get the routing stock - but the addition of a SS line will increase performance and feel - also important - use the correct brakefluid "DOT" and bleed all air out. :lol:

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2007 - 08:35 AM

If the hose is diametrically rigid, as is braided steel compared with the stiff plastic/rubber of the OEM hose, the length is of no consequence. Because the brake fluid is incompressible, the transmission of pressure from the master cylinder to the caliper is immediate regardless of the length, or, within reason, the internal diameter of the hose. This is even more true of disc systems, because so little fluid is actually moved through the hose that flow rates vs. hose diameter are a virtual non-issue. Hose diameter can be an issue with hydraulic clutches, etc., that move larger quantities of fluid, but not the length. A hydraulic "signal" is transmitted over such distances with the speed of electricity.

The sponginess in the stock line, especially older, "tired" ones comes from the line bulging under pressure.

Automotive braking systems have rear brake line/hose combinations often over 25 feet long, trucks much longer, with no problems, and this with diameters of 1/8-3/16" commonly used.

• Fly-nBri

Posted January 10, 2007 - 05:20 PM

Old Blue sold me one through here about 3 years ago. I don't remember the price but it was very reasonable. It still works great.
It took a couple of pop rivets and it was about done. Very clean and simple. Get with him and see if he can still hook you up.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.