My YZ-WR400f is done...almost

13 replies to this topic
  • ausgeflippt13

Posted January 09, 2007 - 09:11 AM

:lol: After a "light" pressure spray-down. You'll find the pics in my garage. Hope you can get to them.

Brief description: It started out as a very dejected and abused yz400f w/o a motor. I then dropped a WR bottom end into it, which enabled me to run a headlight/taillight. I don't race much and I didn't want the typical numberplate HL, so I just made up a couple of brackets and fit a 4x4 HL on there instead, with the smaller light on top being the highbeam. Baja Designs LED taillight. It is street legal.

Whole project, including cost of bike, has been under $1400. I am happy, despite the minor oil leak I've still got to fix from the shifter seal. I'll also be retrofitting a reservoir tank to the radiators due to overheating concerns.

Please let me know what you think, both good and bad! This bike has taken a semester to complete, given that school always seems to take priority...

p.s. I know that the skid plate and armor around the engine is off; I've been fixing things still and is not quite yet the time to reinstall :confused:

• Birdy426

Posted January 09, 2007 - 10:34 AM

It looks like it's come a long way! Nice work. What kind of header is that? It looks like it's two tubes from the head to the mid-pipe...I've never seen one like that before!

School should be a priority. ASU is a fine Engineering School (though not quite as fine as Cal Poly). What year? I assume from your sig that you are one of the DT guys? I did some design work on a still born CPP entry in 1983 (which, I believe was only the second year of Formula SAE competition) as part of my senior project.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:59 AM

I dont see a pic

• jaymo

Posted January 09, 2007 - 12:09 PM

I dont see a pic

Look in his Garage

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 10, 2007 - 06:29 AM

It looks like it's come a long way! Nice work. What kind of header is that? It looks like it's two tubes from the head to the mid-pipe...I've never seen one like that before!

School should be a priority. ASU is a fine Engineering School (though not quite as fine as Cal Poly). What year? I assume from your sig that you are one of the DT guys? I did some design work on a still born CPP entry in 1983 (which, I believe was only the second year of Formula SAE competition) as part of my senior project.

I'm actually at UA, but yeah, FSAE is a pretty big part of my life. I was actually going to go to Cal Poly, but given that they didn't give my any money, UA was the choice for me (I'm from Tucson).

Cal Poly always makes a good car but they always have to stick a giant wing on it claiming "aerodynamic benefits," where there aren't many to be had. Imagine how light their car could be w/o that dad gum aero package lol. Oh look I've highjacked my own thread...:lol:

About the header pipe, I actually have no idea where it's from. It was the only thing in good shape that came with the bike lol. It's a 1-2-1 setup; I'll take more pics and post them in my garage if you're interested.

• Birdy426

Posted January 10, 2007 - 10:53 AM

Cal Poly always makes a good car but they always have to stick a giant wing on it claiming "aerodynamic benefits," where there aren't many to be had. Imagine how light their car could be w/o that dad gum aero package lol. Oh look I've highjacked my own thread...:lol:

Yup...at the speeds FSAE works, the benefits are doubious at best and the penalties great. Did you make the FSAE West Coast event at California Speedway this year? Lockheed Martin supported the event for the first time this year, and, while I had previous commitments, I plan to get involved next year.

About the header pipe, I actually have no idea where it's from. It was the only thing in good shape that came with the bike lol. It's a 1-2-1 setup; I'll take more pics and post them in my garage if you're interested.

You know what they say about curiosity...When you get time, please post up a pic or two of the header.

Thanks,
Greg

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 10, 2007 - 11:21 AM

yeah we went last year to both Michigan and West. This year, however, I think we're only going to Michigan, unfortunately. West is just too late in the summer that we don't have as many team members as we'd like...

The UA car had the proud ability of being the first car ever at FSAE West to have completed every event except for the Enduro. Mind you, we didn't do too well, but at least we completed everything (except enduro).

Will post pics when I get back home...first day of classes today.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncampion

Posted January 10, 2007 - 08:01 PM

What's with the twin head pipe? There's ony a single exhause port on the Yams??

• trueblue426

Posted January 10, 2007 - 08:20 PM

nice job dude ...hullava good bike for 1400

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 12, 2007 - 10:17 AM

The header pipe is a 1-2-1 setup. Don't know how much it actually helps for breathability; I would imagine it does, tho. The pipe's pretty huge, tho.

I know I've been slacking on those pics, tho. I'll try my best to get on them tonight and let y'all know. Thanks for the comments dudes.

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 14, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Aight I finally got the pics up of my pipe in case you were wondering. It's a little dirty but oh well.

• SXP

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Aight I finally got the pics up of my pipe in case you were wondering. It's a little dirty but oh well.

What's that hanging behind the right radiator?

Next time you need some parts let me know before you buy anything as I have a bunch of misc old/good/used spares from my 99 that you can have for the cost of shipping.

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:17 AM

oh sweet thanks for the help. We'll def be in touch! :lol:

The thing hanging behind my radiator is my new reservoir tank that I fabricated. The brackets I made are pretty rudamentary and i think i'll be fixing 'em to make them look better later on.

The tank actually works really well so far. I'm running Engine Ice and that, coupled with the tank allowed me to ride around pretty hard for 15-20 min and when I was finished the radiator cap was touchable. Granted, i've got a really high tolerance for heat and pain, but still.

• Jekel

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Nice looking bike!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.