WR450f CDI Question

5 replies to this topic
  • bageera

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:21 AM

I have a 2004 WR450f

Where I live, our dirtbiks are our main mode of transportation in the city and the countryside. Many friends have had their CDI boxes stolen by kid gangs. VERY hard to replace in Cambodia.

My question is, how much air exposure/cooling does my CDI require?

I want to relocate it behind my left radiator, or under the fuel tank where gremlins cannot get to it. I thought of the air box, but it is a bit tight, concerned with not enough air flow to carb.

Any ideas or experience to help me save my CDI?

Thanks from Dave in Cambodia :lol:

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:01 AM

It actually could fit quite nicely into your airbox w/ little-to-no hassle. You'd have to lengthen the wires, unfortunately. Air flow would not be much of a prob, if any at all.

• msgbean

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:27 AM

Don't worry about air flow. The 07 WR450 already has it mounted behind the left number plate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Asgeir

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:18 PM

It is in a black box without any cooling fins, it should not need any special cooling. Choose the place you see best fit to protect it.

• Beejay

Posted January 09, 2007 - 05:56 PM

Very same thing happens in Lesotho at The Roof of Africa race, if you run out of fuel or have a small breakdown & leave your bike the CDI box is stolen, half an hour later these guys will approach you selling a CDI unit that miraculously fits your bike. You either buy it back for a few $ or are stranded.

• bageera

Posted January 12, 2007 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the response Thumper-Brothers. Better safe than ......... walking and pushing!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.