Please Help I'm at a lost with my 1994 XR650L

22 replies to this topic
  • djpip

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:46 PM

It all started Christmas day when I wanted to go for an early morning ride on my XR650L. The bike had been running nicely with some moderate upgrades. Jetted stock carb, WB e-Series exhaust, K&N filter. I started the bike with half choke and warmed her up and started my ride up in the mountains. I pulled over at a scenic view and when I went to start her again she wouldn't start. Eight hours later I was still there and had to get picked up by a buddy.:confused: The bike will start when cold, but if I shut her off I can't get her to start again. I bought a new plug, cap and coil, but she can only be started when she's cold and not restarted after shes warmed up. I pulled the plug to see if there was a spark and there was no spark. Has this happened to anybody else? Can anyone advise as to what might be the problem?:confused:

Thanks to all!:lol:

djpip:

• Motosprtman

Posted January 09, 2007 - 06:12 AM

weirdness....maybe the stator?

• trxxr

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:06 AM

I have heard of a lot of people having CDI problems espeically on the 94s. I would check there although it could be a coil. Make sure all the connections are good first and check for voltage with a meter. Would be a good time to get a service manual if you don't have one.

• Kinsman

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:40 AM

I have a 94 and this has happened to me two or three times in 15,000 miles.
Seems like a hot start problem, but normally it does a hot start no problem.

• creeky

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:53 AM

I would be checking the stator.

• trxxr

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:09 AM

I would be checking the stator.

Shouldn't he still have spark if the battery is good. Also if the stator was bad wouldn't it not charge the battery also?? You can also check the Pulse Generator when this happens with a meter the resistance should be 435-517 ohms.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Check all tolerances with a voltmeter from the ignition coil, stator, pick up coil. My dollar goes toward the pulse generator. When it heats up it dies, That has happened to me with my XL600R.

• dirtflea

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:21 PM

I had a very similar problem on my '03, it turned out to be the starter button. Changed it and now everything is groovy.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:35 PM

Could be CDI or stator or... one of the safeties.

Bypass all the safeties by grounding both wires that go to the clutch switch.

Dave

• frankiewhipit

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:35 PM

just so I'm on the same page, It cranks but doesn't fire?
are you shutting off the key or just the kill switch?
my '99XRL - If I shut it off by the kill switch It will not restart without playing around with the switch
If your using the key, like suggested earlier, I would be checking the stator

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jetfuel

Posted January 09, 2007 - 03:10 PM

I believe you stated it would crank but have no spark after its hot.....I recently had a charging issue with my 95' and know the bike will run off battery power alone. my stator charging lead corroded and broke. the bike continued to run as the lights dimmed then finally shutdown after the battery was depleted. so I would rule out the stator...I too would by-pass all safty switches see if you have spark then and go from there...

• TahomaTom

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:10 PM

I have a 94 and one day it would not hot start. Once it started it was not a problem.
Then a few weeks and a couple hundred miles later it got hot and than would die and not start for a few minutes. It did this for a few weeks but was not consistast. Most days no problem. Other days it happened a few times in jsut twenty miles.

Eventually it would not start at all.

New CDI and I have not had a problem since.

• dirtflea

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:27 PM

just so I'm on the same page, It cranks but doesn't fire?
are you shutting off the key or just the kill switch?
my '99XRL - If I shut it off by the kill switch It will not restart without playing around with the switch
If your using the key, like suggested earlier, I would be checking the stator

That is exactly what my bike did. I was up in the mountains and had to jerry rig the switch with tin foil to make proper contact. The foil got me home, but I had to half way destroy the switch to get the bike running. New switch works great and no more problemas'.

• jdeharo3

Posted March 21, 2007 - 09:25 PM

Check all tolerances with a voltmeter from the ignition coil, stator, pick up coil. My dollar goes toward the pulse generator. When it heats up it dies, That has happened to me with my XL600R.

I have a similar problem with my 97 xr650l, after riding it for while and turning it off, it will not star until it cools down, it does not die, but it seems that somonthing is getting hot, I have tested all the ignition components, as per the book, every thing checks O.K, ecxept the pulse generator, when the bike is cool the omhs are O.K, but after the bike is warmed-up and turned off the omhs are way above normal. Did replaceing the pulse generator solve your problem? Please help. Thanks

• rmhrc630

Posted March 21, 2007 - 11:00 PM

It all started Christmas day when I wanted to go for an early morning ride on my XR650L. The bike had been running nicely with some moderate upgrades. Jetted stock carb, WB e-Series exhaust, K&N filter. I started the bike with half choke and warmed her up and started my ride up in the mountains. I pulled over at a scenic view and when I went to start her again she wouldn't start. Eight hours later I was still there and had to get picked up by a buddy.:lol: The bike will start when cold, but if I shut her off I can't get her to start again. I bought a new plug, cap and coil, but she can only be started when she's cold and not restarted after shes warmed up. I pulled the plug to see if there was a spark and there was no spark. Has this happened to anybody else? Can anyone advise as to what might be the problem?:eek:

Thanks to all!:applause:

djpip:

CDI no doubt about it.

Borrow a working CDI to test before buying a new one.

Surely someone can do a sticky on known XR650L issues by now?

The CDI going out is so well known it's not funny anymore. Basically on old bikes you need to get a spare one so when it does crap out, you're covered.

• rmhrc630

Posted March 21, 2007 - 11:02 PM

I have a similar problem with my 97 xr650l, after riding it for while and turning it off, it will not star until it cools down, it does not die, but it seems that somonthing is getting hot, I have tested all the ignition components, as per the book, every thing checks O.K, ecxept the pulse generator, when the bike is cool the omhs are O.K, but after the bike is warmed-up and turned off the omhs are way above normal. Did replaceing the pulse generator solve your problem? Please help. Thanks

Again it will be CDI.

• Fishthumper

Posted March 22, 2007 - 06:50 AM

I just had this same nightmare, check everything and learned alot from testing everything I finally could not figure out what the hell was wrong?:applause: so I took it to the dealer and they told me it was the pulse generator $237.00 later It was worth the money. take any parts you want tested to the dealer and they should be more than happy to help you. the CDI either work or does not I paid $139.00 for mine and was not even the problem

• Red4x4neck

Posted January 21, 2008 - 11:59 AM

I am having a similar problem but my bike is cold.
I have tested all the wiring harness connections and so far no grounds or shorts.

I get VERY intermittent spark: IE I turn on the ignition switch and the engine stop switch in run and I MAY get a little spark for the first revolution of the motor but it fades to nothing. I know that the electrical path to the CDI is good since I do get spark. My conclusion is that either the CDI is screwed or the pulse generator leaning closer to the pulse generator. The OHM reading on my Pulse generator is within spec but I am highly skeptical of a magnetic switch surrounded by oil and exposed to extreme heat.

Is there a way to test the output of the pulse generator with a fluke multimeter or is that reserved for an O-scope?

Rob

• martinfan30

Posted January 21, 2008 - 01:04 PM

A digital fluke may not be quick enough. Try an analog meter.

• Coolidge

Posted January 21, 2008 - 01:06 PM

If you jetted it, did you do anything w/pilot screw adj? Maybe an add'l 1/2 turn out? To start

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.