Mellowing out the front brake?

11 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:37 PM

I searched and found threads about spongy front brakes or other issues but my problem is the opposite. I just got a new '06 YZ450. My front brake is way too sensitive and I couldn't find anything in the manual that explains how to mellow it out a little. It caused a crashed today when I was breaking it in (literally) at the track. We have a 45' table with a sharp left turn right after so I landed fine and just barely touched my lever and it locked up and threw me before I had time to react. I'm used to my WR which has great braking power but just not kneejerk, touch it and it skids sensitivity. Will it mellow out over time or is there something I can do? I put ASV C5 levers on it if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:42 PM

I had the same issue at first but over time have gotten used to it and now love it. One thing that you need to be careful of is that you aren't on the brakes too late in a turn. If you are too hard on the front brake while leaning, it'll wash the front end in a heartbeat. If you really want to mellow it out, you can crack the bleeder on the caliper and give the lever a pump or two to let some air in the line. This will give a little more cushion, but I suggest honing your brake control instead of deliberately handicapping your all important front brake.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:21 AM

I guess I am use to very sensitive front brakes from my Braking wave rotor on my 03...I luv the 06 stock brake

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:26 AM

I searched and found threads about spongy front brakes or other issues but my problem is the opposite. I just got a new '06 YZ450. My front brake is way too sensitive and I couldn't find anything in the manual that explains how to mellow it out a little. It caused a crashed today when I was breaking it in (literally) at the track. We have a 45' table with a sharp left turn right after so I landed fine and just barely touched my lever and it locked up and threw me before I had time to react. I'm used to my WR which has great braking power but just not kneejerk, touch it and it skids sensitivity. Will it mellow out over time or is there something I can do? I put ASV C5 levers on it if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Just practice control more. Get use to using your rear brake more especially in mx.

• StPeters21

Posted January 09, 2007 - 06:02 PM

I must be crazy???? I went and bought an oversized rotor to make my '06 stop faster???

• flintlock28

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:17 PM

Yeah me too, I'm seriously thinking of putting a 280mm up front on my 04' model.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:54 PM

I must be crazy???? I went and bought an oversized rotor to make my '06 stop faster???

Hey, you are not crazy. I was seriously thinking of doing this even after installing sintered pads. They only helped marginally. I still find a huge need for more stopping power on the front. Did the rotor help at all?
\
thanks

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 09, 2007 - 10:06 PM

I never rode my bike with the stock rotor on it. My first bike was an 05 YZ250 with an oversize Braking rotor. I made the switch. I can tell you that my buddy's 04 450 was seriously lacking in the front brake stopping power department. Nothing is as strong as a KTM.

• TexN343

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:24 PM

Have you tried adjusting the brake lever? I played with mine and couldn't believe the difference it made.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:33 PM

The '06 front brake, which is what was being asked about, is significantly touchier than previous year models. You can't compare them to the '04. But like the Baron said, you get used to it. Pulling the reach in a little helps.

• red7

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:56 PM

That's good to know about the '06 because my '04 WR brakes great but is tame compared to my YZ. Bigger rotors? If I more then slightly touch my brake it locks. These must break in a little over time if people are wanting more braking power. Well, I'll just have to get used to it.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2007 - 12:24 AM

Smaller master cylinder bore, I believe. Hydraulics is simple leverage, just like mechanical levers. The same force (your fingers) applied to a smaller piston creases the pressure delivered to the caliper pistons. Like an increase in leverage, this comes at the expense of some loss of the input travel, but that's not very important with disc brakes. Caliper pistons travel very little at all.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.