XR650R VS Modified Banshee

49 replies to this topic
  • TriFire

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hi there again,

I have a friend that knows someone thats wants to race my XR bad, He has a Yamaha Banshee with modified heads and pipe.

Now my XR has the Full HRC Kit and complete XR's only system Exhaust , Its going to be fitted on in the next few days. What do yo guys think??

Im thinking of racing on Tarmac.

P.S You think its better staring the Race in Second gear??

• adam574

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:52 PM

i don't really know how modded this motor is but your buddy is pretty much wasting his time. bike are just so much faster then quads. i raced a banshee 6 six years ago with my then new 01 cr125 and it was pretty much dead even i can't imagine how bad you are going to smoke this guy with a 650.

• drtlvr

Posted January 09, 2007 - 06:20 AM

dont under estimate the power of the evil banshee,my brother had a modded one and it passed me on my dr350 and I was pushing 95,( he passed me in 5th gear and those are 6 speeds) if you race on dirt you'll beat him pavement might be alot closer than you think,

get a vid of this and post it

• BWB63

Posted January 09, 2007 - 06:58 AM

dont under estimate the power of the evil banshee,my brother had a modded one and it passed me on my dr350 and I was pushing 95,( he passed me in 5th gear and those are 6 speeds) if you race on dirt you'll beat him pavement might be alot closer than you think,

get a vid of this and post it

My XR680R has won in the sand but, it can be close at first. Make sure it is a quarter mile and then you sould take him with your bike. If it is a short race you will lose.
Leet us know what happens. Use a street tire!

• Falls A Lot

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:52 PM

My buddy has a Banshee and talked smack for a long time about "lining up" with my pig. He agreed to rolling starts and I walked him 4 out of 5 times on some fire roads and dirt roads.

That seems to have shut him up for now, but it's a matter of time before he asks for a standing start, and then (with my Rekluse Z-start) I think he'd whoop me.

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 09, 2007 - 10:59 PM

Unless that banshee is running a crotch rocket motor, I don't think you'll have any problem pulling away from him after 3rd...

I raced a buddy on a CRF 250. He weighs about 150, and I weigh about 260, so theres a bit of a total weight difference there (rider + bike). Through my first and second we were about neck and neck. Then I grabbed third, and walked away from him like he was standing still...

First through third it'll probably be close, but as long as you have room to fly, you'll take him after third. Think about it; the BRP was meant to run 100+ mph through the DESERT. The banshee's not...

• hill5150

Posted January 10, 2007 - 12:28 PM

Dude your gonna smoke that fool.....race him for pinks and then sell that peice of crap!

Yes sell it and buy new schit for your bike with the 500 bux you get for that POS ban-SHE.........:lol:

• BWB63

Posted January 10, 2007 - 03:22 PM

The banshee is one of the quickest things on four wheels. Once it is tricked out it is awesome quick but, not fast. 78mph if geared for it. Tricked out and geared for it maybe 90mph. Do not under estemate a Banshee. It may ony be a 350 two smoke but, they are putting out more horsepower then our bikes and lots more tricked out.

• rebelventurer

Posted January 10, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Be very, very carefull. Unless I knew the guy, and well at that I would want something between us like a brick wall or concrete barrier. I've met more guys that broke their, legs, arms or backs while riding one of those evil little things, and it seems the more tricked out they are the more fearless the rider (driver) becomes. Be very, very, carefull!

• Billahjack

Posted January 10, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Practice your starts. Depending on gearing, I would go for a 2nd gear start on the street if its near stock gearing and you have a good clutch. If you are in soft sand/dirt, you may get too much wheel spin in 1st/2nd until you get solidly into 3rd.

Do you have the shifting down where you don't let off the throttle? Just keep it twisted and slightly grab at the clutch while grabbing gears. You have to pull the clutch lever in to the beginning of the friction point.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wcorbett

Posted January 10, 2007 - 07:39 PM

I say go for it and what happens happens.

• doesntrideenough

Posted January 10, 2007 - 08:31 PM

The longer the distance the better your odds, incase he gets the jump on you right off the line. You may want to consider doing 2 out of 3.

• frankstr

Posted January 11, 2007 - 06:22 AM

Hey, TriFire, Have you raced yet. Let us know ...:lol:

:confused: :crazy:

• XRsteve

Posted January 11, 2007 - 07:48 AM

I raced a trx450r on my xr400 on the street. I had a hard time keeping the front down, but I still won easily. Mine is mostly stock, I don't know about the 450r. I've ridden a stock banshee, and I wasn't impressed. I think you'l win, especially in a longer race. Let us know!

• BigBoreRacing

Posted January 11, 2007 - 12:10 PM

The only way you'll make it close is if you start in 3rd and keep it in 3rd the whole race, doing a wheel stand the entire distance.
After you beat him get off...kick dirt on him and point and laugh hysterically @ him :lol: ing!

• NW WR250

Posted January 11, 2007 - 12:22 PM

The banshee is one of the quickest things on four wheels. Once it is tricked out it is awesome quick but, not fast. 78mph if geared for it. Tricked out and geared for it maybe 90mph. Do not under estemate a Banshee. It may ony be a 350 two smoke but, they are putting out more horsepower then our bikes and lots more tricked out.

my stock wr 250f ( except for all the free mods so of course the jetting isnt dialed so it would be faster) goes 83 mph :lol: and I beat my brother inlaw on is yfz 450 all the time.

• hrc1

Posted January 11, 2007 - 02:25 PM

How worked is the banshee? I have a 2 buddies with 60+ hp banshee's and they flat kill most dirtbikes in sanddrags. I know someone's gonna try to call me on this one, but i have a friend who builds atv race motors (he did the 2 previously mentioned banshee's) and he had a 55 hp, (pipoes cammed, ported, 14:1) raptor that he let me ride at the sand drags at silver lake. I lined up next to this guy with a yamaha 426 i do believe, and proceded to whip him soooo bad 3 out of 3. Just covered him in sand, he kept lining up wanting to go again and again. He wasn't happy to say the least. Quads have one thing over a bike, traction. Are you running him for money or just bragging rights? If your gonna race make sure it's a decent distance at least, and the pig should walk him on the long end.

• hill5150

Posted January 11, 2007 - 06:37 PM

my stock wr 250f ( except for all the free mods so of course the jetting isnt dialed so it would be faster) goes 83 mph :confused: and I beat my brother inlaw on is yfz 450 all the time.

Wer'e gonna need proof of that VIA a GPS photo while en route doing 83 MPH on a 250.......open the door to the garage when your painting...:lol:

• ryontd

Posted January 11, 2007 - 07:05 PM

If thats all the work he has done to his bitcheeee, and its not running on NOS or something stupid like that- then you pretty much will get him in the mid to top end with ease.

• BigBoreRacing

Posted January 12, 2007 - 12:19 AM

Wer'e gonna need proof of that VIA a GPS photo while en route doing 83 MPH on a 250.......open the door to the garage when your painting...:lol:

I believe it....I did 88mph on my buddies wr250f (stock minus the "free mods")It sounded like it was gonna have a hemorrhage...but it did it:excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.