changing folk seals

5 replies to this topic
  • idiot_on_426

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:56 PM

could someone explain to me how to replace the folk seals on a 426, and what weight of oil to put in?

• tntmo

Posted January 08, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Where in CA are you? If near San Diego I can give you a hand.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2007 - 10:45 PM

Try this:

http://www.thumperfa.../fork_seals.htm

There are a couple of points to note. One is that the damper cartridges do not have to be removed to chnage the fork seals, so the 14mm Allen driver and cartridge holder need not be used. But a real fork seal driver does make the job go easier. And finally, carefully inspect the inner tubes for nicks and burrs that catch your fingernails, including vertical scratches. If found, use 280-320 grit wet/dry to sand them out, working crossways at a 45 degree angle in both directions.

The oil should be a 5wt fork fluid (fork oil 01) and the level should be between 135-90mm from the top, compressed. 110mm works best for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • idiot_on_426

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:31 AM

Where in CA are you? If near San Diego I can give you a hand.

im in LA, but i do come down to SD often. thanks a lot man, that is a really nice gesture, and i might even take you up on it if i am coming down there soon. thanks

• idiot_on_426

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:36 AM

thanks for the info

• Ga426owner

Posted January 09, 2007 - 01:48 PM

im in LA, but i do come down to SD often. thanks a lot man, that is a really nice gesture, and i might even take you up on it if i am coming down there soon. thanks

you should learn the correct way to service your forks and shock from someone first....it really helps - the seals can be replaced at this time...cleaning out all the old oil and residue the correct way, is more important than just replacing oil. I break my forks and shock down completely including removing all compression/rebound valves..flush and clean thoroughly, reassemble and refill with new oil and new nitrogen for the shock:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.