JD jet kit

30 replies to this topic
  • bullybull9

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Ok I know I'm going to piss a few people off with this but it needs to be said, I bought the kit and for $73 I think its a rip off,, 3 mains and 2 needles, in the jetting forums they mention more than just 2 jets .

I felt like a just bought jewlery , :lol:

• marty b

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:38 PM

i paid 150 bucks at my local dealer

• clark4131

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Ok I know I'm going to piss a few people off with this but it needs to be said, I bought the kit and for $73 I think its a rip off,, 3 mains and 2 needles, in the jetting forums they mention more than just 2 jets .

I felt like a just bought jewlery , :lol:

You ain't the first to raise an eyebrow at the price, but let me give you a little comparison...2 OEM needles and 3 Mains from Bike Bandit will run you $42.16, plus shipping to Massachusetts; let's call that an additional $10 for a grand total of $52.16. The JD needles are triple tapered and designed for the specific bike they're purchased for, the OEM are not. From what I've read, JD goes through a pretty complex process to determine the proper taper profile to ensure you're getting the right part for your specific bike. Now you can guess which OEM needle is going to be right for you, if you can decipher the taper, but I've got kids and can't keep that kind of gobblety-gook straight in my head. JD gives you a simple chart to follow, with even simpler color coding, blue for cold weather, red for hot. So you're out an extra $20 bucks and change over the OEM order, but I'll bet your peace of mind is worth more than that. This is just my opinion of course. I've been totally happy with my JD purchase, though I did gag at the initial cost before I did the math...SC

• 642MX

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:11 PM

They aren't cheap, but they do work. :lol:

• SXP

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:23 PM

So, once the little red/blue dot wears/washes off, how do you tell the two needles apart - my current dilemma! For that kinda money I think the needles need to be etched with some kinda identification

• motocxer117

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:26 PM

i wasnt impressed with that Kit at all, i had bought it for my 125, and it came with some needles and jets, i thought it was going to come with a chart like with the temp and elevation and stuff. it came with like a guestimate chart, but it didnt help in the weather i was racin in, 100+, the bike ran decent as it became darker, but at the peak of the day, it was to rich.

• kskyles

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:34 PM

the jd kit changed my bike.

$70 is a pretty good price for the amount of performance gains you get. no aftermarket exhaust is going to do that for you.

i've had great results with the kit.

• 642MX

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:41 PM

So, once the little red/blue dot wears/washes off, how do you tell the two needles apart - my current dilemma! For that kinda money I think the needles need to be etched with some kinda identification

The red needle is slightly larger on the tip. It will probably take a micrometer to measure the difference.

• dbleon

Posted January 08, 2007 - 09:29 PM

I have to say that the JD kit solved my jetting whoes... it took all of five minutes and my bike runs like crazy now! Far better than leaving my bike at the dealer for a weak and paying $150 (quoted)!

• Fullbore4

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:10 PM

JD is an asset to bikers for sure but I have found the JD red is still a tad rich for my bike (06 WR450 with extensive mods) unless the temp is below 40 deg F. It runs better with the OEM needle shimmed with 2 washers. The oem needle measures about .001 inch bigger diameter throughout. I wish JD included one leaner than the red.....that would be perfect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bullybull9

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:53 AM

If JD is the kit to have and they do such a good job at producing a kit ,, why didn't they just put the rest of the jets in the box , oh ya maybe it would have killed their bottom line ,, I'm a plumber and a 1 1/2 ball valve doesn't cost as much as the kit did ,,a pound of yellow brass ( clean ) is only $2.45 a pound.

Like I said they price wouldn't have been a problem , if they gave us the rest of the jets,,unless they only know about the main and the needle.

• bullybull9

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:57 AM

Well if Yamaha keeps selling the WR450F , and it will continue to need all these mods to run right ,, I'm going to see if I can buy stock in JD's Jet kits.

• kskyles

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:27 AM

If JD is the kit to have and they do such a good job at producing a kit ,, why didn't they just put the rest of the jets in the box , oh ya maybe it would have killed their bottom line ,, I'm a plumber and a 1 1/2 ball valve doesn't cost as much as the kit did ,,a pound of yellow brass ( clean ) is only $2.45 a pound.

Like I said they price wouldn't have been a problem , if they gave us the rest of the jets,,unless they only know about the main and the needle.

you know, if you look at the price of raw materials, R&D, production, etc...then of course it's going to look like a rip-off.

i realized a long time ago that performance products are a specialty industry that charges what people are willing to pay. i'm a serious penny pincher, that's why i chose the JD kit, and haven't done any other performance mods that weren't already done to the bike when i bought it.

enjoy the kit. i'm sure you'll like the results, even though you didn't like the price :lol:

• TheCure

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:33 AM

Free market mechanisms exist.

I hate to step on toes but you can get just as good jetting results by buying your YZF needle (which actually comes with the GYT AIS blockoff kit) and a selection of Pilot and Main jets from the Thumper talk store for 1/3 the price of the JD kit. You'll get more selection, bigger variety and save money. I bought a whole handful of Pilot and Main jets for my bike, my friends bike, my father in laws bike and my dads bike for less than the cost of the kit.

That's a fact.:lol:

• bullybull9

Posted January 09, 2007 - 09:13 AM

No ,, you didn't step on my toes ,, I wanted to see what everyone thought.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted January 09, 2007 - 09:22 AM

JD was here when TT was just for WR's he was the one helping everyone unlock the hidden potential with these bikes. Can you imagine what kind of effort it would take to make and test the dozens and dozens of combinations of jetting solutions to meet different altitudes, temps, humidity, etc. He's not some billion dollar company like an OEM, he's one of us - a rider, who wanted more and shared that knowledge with everyone, once everyone kept going to him for answers he smartly took his work and made a good product. Your bike has benefitted from his knowledge and contribution to the TT site, whether you run JD jetting or not.

• bullybull9

Posted January 09, 2007 - 06:07 PM

I'm sure Mr. JD knows there is more than one Jet and the needle in the carb ,, maybe he should offer a selection of jets in the kits ,, that would have been great .

• bullybull9

Posted January 09, 2007 - 06:10 PM

and to any new bees ,, becarefull taking the 4 phillips screws out on the bowl ,, also I had to loosen up the starter button and the throttle and slide them forward ,, to turn the carb out.

• kyle797

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:44 PM

What no one seems to realize it that J D spent god only knows how much time developing these jet kits and he needs to get paid for all the reaserch and development time he spent developing the kits. How much time do you think it would take you to get the bike jetted right and how many jets would you buy and be stuck with because they were not the right ones. I am a professoinal tech and i know i could have jetted my wr myself with my dynojet dyno. I probably would have spent more than $70.00 trying jets and multiple hours in the dyno room. Look at the whole picture before assesing the value of the kit.If the cost of the kit is alot greater than the the sum of it's included parts it means you are buying the parts ,the knowledge and the reaserch and devlopment that went into the kit.

• webercobra

Posted January 19, 2007 - 10:51 AM

Free market mechanisms exist.

I hate to step on toes but you can get just as good jetting results by buying your YZF needle (which actually comes with the GYT AIS blockoff kit) and a selection of Pilot and Main jets from the Thumper talk store for 1/3 the price of the JD kit. You'll get more selection, bigger variety and save money. I bought a whole handful of Pilot and Main jets for my bike, my friends bike, my father in laws bike and my dads bike for less than the cost of the kit.

That's a fact.:confused:

You can even get good jetting with the stock needle. (Older ones with 7 clip positions) by raising the needle. Jet kits are nothing special. Have done it on several bikes and quads. :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.