Weird carb spring on 2001 426 PTII

9 replies to this topic
  • fishwater

Posted January 08, 2007 - 05:57 PM

So, I had posted in the past about this weird spring on my carb. From all accounts it seems like it does not belong there. I went to remove it tonight but noticed that the bracket is even drilled for the spring, it really really looks factory? I have an intermitant surge when slowing down in a technical section that will cause the bike to speed up rather dramaticly. It is cold up here so at first I thought it may just be a lean pilot concern but now this spring has me wondering. I just bought the bike a month ago & it has been cold every time I rode it, between 30-50 degree's.

The spring runs from the bracket where the throttle cables bolt into on the side of the carb to the wheel. It runs horizontaly & looks like it will act as a throttle return.

One last round of opinions on whether I should remove it or not. Take a look & let me know what you guys think.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010787.jpg
  • P1010788.jpg
  • P1010789.jpg

• mxis4me

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:40 PM

i dont think thats factory , id take it off . it looks like there must a been a prob with the throttle returning and someone tried to remedy it with that spring . maybe a bad throttle cable or a dirty slide ?

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 08, 2007 - 09:06 PM

i dont think thats factory , id take it off . it looks like there must a been a prob with the throttle returning and someone tried to remedy it with that spring . maybe a bad throttle cable or a dirty slide ?

Oh man...I just had flashbacks to my Dad's ideas about 'fixing' bikes. That is totally something he would have done!

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2007 - 10:19 PM

You be nice to your dad, buddy. :lol:

That IS NOT an OEM part. Try it without it and see how it works. One of the first things I noticed about YZF's when I first started riding them was the light feel of the throttle return spring. It took a little getting used to actually, and it's something that I hear from other new four stroke guys occasionally. This may have been somebody's idea of how to stiffen it. But it may also have been put there because it had a problem returning without it. If it returns properly without the spring shown, use it that way.

• fishwater

Posted January 09, 2007 - 03:29 AM

How do I tell if the cables are adjusted properly? I have looked in the manual & it is still a little un-clear to me. Both cables have some slack between the bracket & wheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kyle Prior

Posted January 09, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Oh man...I just had flashbacks to my Dad's ideas about 'fixing' bikes. That is totally something he would have done!

My dad and your dad would get along.. When talking to my dad about my need for a new chain, he sais "take a link out and move the wheel forward"

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 12:38 PM

How do I tell if the cables are adjusted properly? I have looked in the manual & it is still a little un-clear to me. Both cables have some slack between the bracket & wheel.

It isn't really written up right in the manual, because it fails to explain that there is no twist grip stop built into the throttle, and that the grip only stops because the closing cable (cable 2, the lower one) is drawn tight and can't pull the throttle any farther closed. The play felt at the throttle grip is the play between the two throttle cables, and if the closing cable were not there, there, you could turn the throttle grip all the way around until it worked backwards.

For the most part, you need only adjust one of the two cables. set the play at the grip to be 3mm, and you'll be good.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 09, 2007 - 01:42 PM

what the hell is the other end of the spring attached too?
you adjust the throttle slack on the other end of one of the cables at the adj point, under the rubber close to the throttle itself. There should be some slack at the other end on both cables but not much

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 09, 2007 - 01:55 PM

My dad and your dad would get along.. When talking to my dad about my need for a new chain, he sais "take a link out and move the wheel forward"

Holy S***...my dad said the excact thing to me once!

• fishwater

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:17 PM

what the hell is the other end of the spring attached too?
you adjust the throttle slack on the other end of one of the cables at the adj point, under the rubber close to the throttle itself. There should be some slack at the other end on both cables but not much

It is attached to the wheel somehow, I have not pulled it apart yet but plan on it this week. Then I will check the throttle play & adjust the cables.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.