Wr 450 wont start in cold

6 replies to this topic
  • Frank_z28

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:54 AM

i did a run with my WR (2003) this autumn everything was ok. I put my bike in the garage and i could not ride / work on the bike in a while because of my new job. Yesterday i tryied to start my bike, it was a bit cold around 0 degree celcius
and my wont start at all. I dint had time to watch if the sparkplug was doing fire , i just looked the battery and it was ok. The kick starter seemed to be a little bit easy to stroke. Any of you have advice on how start the bike on low temperature or a hint on what to look to start it.

Ty for you time and sorry for my bad english skill :lol:

• djv5

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:59 AM

You need to change your jetting, try the James Dean jet kit.

The JD kit gives suggestions for needles and clip locations for your geographic area and riding conditions. I performed this mod in less than an hour, and the instructions were easy to follow. The kit is about $70.

You may also try storing your bike in a heated garage, and then try starting it. I always prestart my bike in a warm garage before I head to the trails about an hour away.

• gaucho

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:05 AM

What weight of oil are you running? I find a big difference running 20/50 in the summer and 10/40 in the winter as far as starting goes. If still have 20/50 and is is around freezing, I end up having to tow the bike around to get it warmed up enough to start it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:06 AM

Our bikes are difficult to start when the engine has sat outside in sub zero weather. Get a 72 starter jet and pump the throttle once or twice and if the e-start fails to start after 10 seconds you will need to kick it.:lol:

• phatcat99

Posted January 08, 2007 - 02:48 PM

I have the same problem here in Okla. I ususally pull choke, e-start for about 10 sec., then kick about 3 times and she's running. No throttle at all. Hope that helps.

• TWILES

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Our bikes are difficult to start when the engine has sat outside in sub zero weather. Get a 72 starter jet and pump the throttle once or twice and if the e-start fails to start after 10 seconds you will need to kick it.:lol:

What he said. Always pump the gas. They cranked on a YFZ (new one) where my wife works for 30 minutes and it would not start. She walked up to it with the guys (mechanics) standing there, pulled the choke, pumped the gas 3 times, hit the button, and fired right up. Made them mad. Then she says," thats how Travis starts my 4-wheeler and his motorcycle." They don't like me up there.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted January 09, 2007 - 05:13 AM

Listen to Indy...He knows the way. The starter jet makes a world of differance for cold weather starting.

Lighter weight oil helps also. Yamaha sells a winter formula oil. I have used it in the past with good results.

You may also have to change the pilot, main, and needle position. WR's usualy arn't as picky in the winter as the YZ's are. But just be prepared to have to swap out some jets if necessary.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.