How to correctly check engine oil level on 01 XR250R

17 replies to this topic
  • Matt157877

Posted August 31, 2002 - 05:22 AM

Hey guys When I check my oil level I go out and make sure the bike is straight up, I unscrew the dipstick and wipe it off,stick it back in and see where it is, I do this before I ever start the engine,So I am getting a inacurate reading?

I thought that if you checked it after the engine ran that when the Oil drained back down you would have to much,is this right? so what I need to do is,start engine and let idle 5 mins, immediatly take dipstick out,wipe off and stick back in, If it is down some below the top mark I have to add some right? But won't I have to much after the bike sits overnight? This question is a little off topic but how hard is it to Tear down a 91 XR250R and replace Piston,Rings and valves if I have to correct tools and a manual? I have a Clymer Manual, I just would like to know before I have to do a rebuild. Thanks Guys, This a great site, I have seen so many GREAT topics on this forum and I just joined last night,Matt

• Terrafirma250f

Posted August 31, 2002 - 05:59 AM

i think even 5 mins at idle is too little time to get an accurate reading for the oil. i ride for about 15 minutes, let the oil settle, level the bike, and i get an accurate reading every time.
2001 XR2

• 02XR250rRider

Posted August 31, 2002 - 06:15 AM

Just fill the thing up and go.

• Kev_XR

Posted August 31, 2002 - 06:29 AM

What year XR do you have? 91? They changed a bit in 96.

Checking the oil in an XR is weird in you have to run the engine first to get an accurate reading. When in doubt, check for SOME OIL before starting.

The most accurate way? Change the oil! Warm the engine, drain the oil, change the filter, add the recommended oil. Now you know how the dipstick should read.

What I have noticed on my XR400 after I have changed the oil & filter, then added 1.9 quarts.

I warmed the engine for 5 minutes like Honda states. Checked the oil. It seems low.

I warmed the engine for a few minutes, rode the bike around my truck. Checked the oil. It measured full. From what I have noticed, you need to get oil moving in the gearbox.

Too much oil is NOT good for bikes.
When overfilled, XR's will smoke badly.

• Matt157877

Posted August 31, 2002 - 08:08 AM

I have a 91, I'm just gonna warm the bike for 5 minutes and if its low I will fill it up, Hopefully that will be good enough,Thanks Matt

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted August 31, 2002 - 01:21 PM

There is no trick to checking oil on a 1991 model as this is a wet sump engine. Just check oil with dipstick. Don't screw dip stick in.
NOW, on 1996 and up it is much harder to get good reading as they are a dry sump engine.
Cher'o,
Dwight :)

• Matt157877

Posted August 31, 2002 - 04:42 PM

so dwight can I just check my level when the oil is could or do I need to warm up for 5 minutes,check level,lets say dwight that I checked the level cold and it was at the top line,then i warmed the bike for 5 minutes and it was 1/2 way between top and bottom lines,do I go ahead and fill it up? Then I will have to much right?

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted August 31, 2002 - 08:30 PM

Matt, your 1991 model oil level shouldn't change much at all. Very little is in oil cooler. No place else for it to go and stay. I filled mine to top edge of upper line with Maxima Extra and went for it.
Cher'o,
Dwight

PS: now on the 2001 model you must ride it for about 10 minutes to get proper reading. Even then it is vague.

• Matt157877

Posted September 01, 2002 - 04:03 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, Dwight thats what I was trying to get everyone else to see is that I have a 91 not a 96-up bike and no one seemed to see that, I did that once,I warmed my bike up and then checked it(did this a while back)and it was down on bottom line so I filled it up,next morning checked it cold and it was up to threads on the dipstick so I had to drain some out, The Reason I Value Dwights opinion on this so highly is because I have seen in previous posts that he has did alot of ISDE's and been riding XR's for like 15 years and if he has done it this way for that long and had no problems then I shouldn't. I do appreciate the help from you other guys though. So Dwight it is safe to say that on my 91 I can check the level with the bike Cold? Thanks Matt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRthumper

Posted September 01, 2002 - 04:24 AM

hi guys, i have a question to ask/add let say my XR400 has been parked for one week and i decided to change the engine oil. Is it ok for me to just drain the oil from the engine side only or I still need to drain the oil from the frame too??Thanks...

• Kev_XR

Posted September 01, 2002 - 10:03 AM

Originally posted by XRthumper:
hi guys, i have a question to ask/add let say my XR400 has been parked for one week and i decided to change the engine oil. Is it ok for me to just drain the oil from the engine side only or I still need to drain the oil from the frame too??Thanks...

Do you want to only change some of the oil?
Drain from both areas. It's pretty easy.

I always warm up the bike before changing oil.

• 02XR250rRider

Posted September 01, 2002 - 12:34 PM

Man just got done changing the oil, lol I hate it the oil always gets all over the place and I hate filling it up at the top where the dipstick is. It's a pain to change draining is ok.

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted September 01, 2002 - 08:30 PM

Yes, Matt, you can check the 1991 cold ( 1986-95 )
On the 1996 up models you MUST drain oil from Crankcase and Frame. I recommend changing oil filter at least every other oil change. I change oil every few hundred miles or 2 enduros.
Cher'o,
Dwight :)

• OldXRguy

Posted September 02, 2002 - 10:18 AM

on 1996 and up it is much harder to get good reading as they are a dry sump engine.

you must ride it for about 10 minutes to get proper reading. Even then it is vague.

Dwight:

This isn't very encouraging. It's like you can alter the "level" depending on how long/hard you run the engine before checking. I usually end up putting in 1.8 - 1.9 quarts after oil and filter change. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Pete

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted September 02, 2002 - 12:29 PM

I don't have my book in front of me but I believe you are right.
Dwight

• lookatdirt

Posted September 02, 2002 - 09:37 PM

On my 00 XR4, after changing the oil and filter, the oil level on the dipstick always reads low, no matter how long I warm it up. I used to stress about it, but now just add precisely 1.9 qts. of oil (in the two steps pointed out in the owners manuel) and forget about it. I know it has the correct amount of oil in it, so why worry? I would worry more about over-filling it with oil. I change the oil in my XR4 regularly. P.S. XR250s (96 up) only hold 1.5 qts!

• p888

Posted September 03, 2002 - 01:30 AM

on mine it is easy, you just need to warm it up, 10 minutes of hard riding and it is super acurate. i know this because the level is always the same as the last time i rode it.

• OldXRguy

Posted September 04, 2002 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, I thought the book said 1.5 qts. But when I put that much in, it never shows full. 1.8 seems to be the magic number. It doesn't smoke or burn any at this level, and it shows correctly on the dipstick.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The beginning of my rebuild 96 xr250r by Madmike84

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

DIY Dual Sport guide for the XR400, Part II by n16ht5

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

My first dirt bike xr250 1997 by w00dzy

• * * * * -
  • Hot  96 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 smoking suddenly, replace plug, adjust valves or fuel mixture? by Landcrab

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

CR steering stem specifications(pics) by kawamatt2

• Hot  65 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.