Stripped Bolt

20 replies to this topic
  • NorCal

Posted January 07, 2007 - 05:12 PM

The lower bolt on my oil filter cover will not tighten. It spins and spins without grabbing. I guess I stripped it out.

What do I do now?

Will I have to re-tap the hole and buy a new bolt?

Oh, by the way, it is a 2006 YZ450F, if helps out any.

Thanks,
Nick

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2007 - 07:27 PM

The way to repair that right is to remove the engine cover and Heli-Coil it. Then, you'll be able to use the original part number for the bolt.

• BergArabia

Posted January 07, 2007 - 07:27 PM

I think you would have to retap it.
Either that or try helicoils.
ooops Gray beat me to it.
That was fast Gray you must have been typing the same time as I was..

• gem

Posted January 07, 2007 - 09:15 PM

the same thing happened to my 426 and I took the cover off and used a heli-coil and every thing is a-ok

• NorCal

Posted January 07, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Thanks guys.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is "heli-coil"?

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2007 - 10:19 PM

Thread repair inserts that restore the original sized thread.

http://www.emhart.co...ts/helicoil.asp

• ditchound

Posted January 08, 2007 - 03:40 AM

These work great as well, some people like them better than Heli Coils, especially in places where the bolt it used often.

http://www.timesert....l/mtrcsert.html

• Ga426owner

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:59 AM

These work great as well, some people like them better than Heli Coils, especially in places where the bolt it used often.

http://www.timesert....l/mtrcsert.html

a better solution for this particular bolt:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:30 AM

Is there room in the bolt bore for the spot facer, and for the shoulder of the insert? Remember that that particular bolt threads into a hole an inch or so down into a 7 or 8mm hole. I would have recommended Time-Serts myself, but I wasn't certain they would clear.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 08, 2007 - 12:07 PM

Is there room in the bolt bore for the spot facer, and for the shoulder of the insert? Remember that that particular bolt threads into a hole an inch or so down into a 7 or 8mm hole. I would have recommended Time-Serts myself, but I wasn't certain they would clear.

works like a charm...:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goosedog

Posted January 08, 2007 - 12:22 PM

I know a lot of YZ riders have found this bolt to be stripped and when I posted that it happened on mine last year another member wrote that it's quite common because that bolt hole has oil (and it's particles) running through it and you must flush it out with parts cleaner or WD each time you service the oil filter.

I heli-coiled mine, got a new bolt and now I flush it out each time...no more problem.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2007 - 01:41 PM

If they fit, I second the recommendation. Time-Serts are a step up.

• NorCal

Posted January 11, 2007 - 04:48 PM

I just bought a new bolt, and it did the trick. No heli-coil or any of that crap. I spose I was torqueing (sp?) the bolt too tight?

• Goosedog

Posted January 11, 2007 - 06:19 PM

I just bought a new bolt, and it did the trick. No heli-coil or any of that crap. I spose I was torqueing (sp?) the bolt too tight?

The problem is that if you stripped it now, it's the magnesium casing that suffered and not the bolt. A new bolt might help for an oil change or two but you'll have to do the Heli-coil eventually.

• NorCal

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:01 PM

The problem is that if you stripped it now, it's the magnesium casing that suffered and not the bolt. A new bolt might help for an oil change or two but you'll have to do the Heli-coil eventually.

Damn:banghead:

• IBS007

Posted May 29, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I have a '99 400 and I bought mine with the bottom oil filter cover bolt stripped, you know the one with an allen head. Any one know what size heli coil or time-sert to get. And is spliting the cases necessary?

• 02YZ426

Posted May 29, 2007 - 03:23 PM

I think mine has some problems too. Last time I did an oil change the bolt came out kinda tight to the last thread :) It went back in tight, but I'm betting its trouble. I wanted to run a tap through it but I doubt thats a good idea with the engine case still on the bike? I don't want the shavings to get into the circulation.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2007 - 04:50 PM

I chased the threads on my '06 with a tap and die. Grease the tap, and it will bring out most of what little it cuts. Follow that with an oiled cotton swab, and you should be safe. The chips can't get to anywhere that they would be unfiltered, in any case, and they are aluminum. Not a big concern if you are careful.

• FLjoyride

Posted May 30, 2007 - 03:43 AM

The threads on my '04 are M6-1 (6mm diameter, one thread per mm in length), and you can get the heli coil kit from any napa.

• IBS007

Posted May 30, 2007 - 04:50 AM

Thanks I miked it out last night and i thought it was a m6. Is that a 1.00 pitch? What is involved in spliting the cases? :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.