07 Gearbox question

14 replies to this topic
  • Lowrance

Posted January 07, 2007 - 12:13 PM

Getting ready to pull the pin and pick up an 07 YZ450F and was just wondering how the shifting action is panning out for you 07 owners? I've read a few unfavorable things in the press and was just curious. I know this was brought up before but haven't seen anything lately on the subject.

I bought an 03 when they first came out and the thing shifted flawlessly. I've been desert racing a KTM 525 for the last couple of years and am ready to head back to the nicely groomed confines of the track and want another blue bike because of the legenday reliability as well as that fantastic manual (man I miss the manual).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

John

• Redrider46

Posted January 07, 2007 - 01:09 PM

Get one, no problems shifting at all, it is primo

• kyle450rider

Posted January 07, 2007 - 03:11 PM

I purchased an 07 when they first came out and the shifting was a little notchy before the first oil change.Nothing to be concerned with.I have noticed all my new bikes have done this.Seem to get better with age and oil changes.

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted January 07, 2007 - 06:27 PM

My '07 shifts very smooth.:lol:
I am coming off a RMZ and that thing was very notchy.

GOOD LUCK!:confused:

• AZcrRider

Posted January 07, 2007 - 06:43 PM

No issues here, don't know what the mags were talking about....

• DaveJ

Posted January 07, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Get one, no problems shifting at all, it is primo

Ditto. Just need to re-set the shifter height a bit.

• aford541

Posted January 09, 2007 - 10:37 PM

Both the 06 and 07 were more difficult to shift than the 05, the 06 broke in after 20 hours or so, the 07 still is not broken in but it has 9.7 hours on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • never59

Posted January 11, 2007 - 08:04 AM

Getting ready to pull the pin and pick up an 07 YZ450F and was just wondering how the shifting action is panning out for you 07 owners? I've read a few unfavorable things in the press and was just curious. I know this was brought up before but haven't seen anything lately on the subject.

I bought an 03 when they first came out and the thing shifted flawlessly. I've been desert racing a KTM 525 for the last couple of years and am ready to head back to the nicely groomed confines of the track and want another blue bike because of the legenday reliability as well as that fantastic manual (man I miss the manual).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

John

No problems with me either:applause:

There were a handfull TTers that were complaining about shifting being very difficult but i have not seen any recent threads out there that they were still having problems??

• motoag93

Posted January 11, 2007 - 04:46 PM

No problem here, shifts smooth. Helps to pull the clutch in though.....:lol:

• moto1020

Posted January 11, 2007 - 07:00 PM

My 07 shifts fine,still trying to get used to the quiet exhaust compared to my old bike 426

• warrior86

Posted January 12, 2007 - 05:26 AM

my 07 was noticeably stiff and notchy for the first few hours. This was coming off a 04 250f. It wouldnt find neutral at all and the shifting would need to be very deliberate at low speeds. After the first oil change i noticed a significant improvement but still not perfect. Each oil change after that showed an improvement over the previous and at 12 hours its smooth as a baby's ass.

The only complaint is how shitty the chain and sprocket is. WIthin 12 hours the chain stretched so badly that the teeth began ripping off the rear sprocket. Thats pathetitic!!!! and yes, i had my chain adjusted properly.

• AZcrRider

Posted January 12, 2007 - 06:40 AM

The only complaint is how shitty the chain and sprocket is. WIthin 12 hours the chain stretched so badly that the teeth began ripping off the rear sprocket. Thats pathetitic!!!! and yes, i had my chain adjusted properly.

You are right about the chain. The sprockets are average quality if you put a good chain on there before you ride it. I Put a regina o-ring on with the stock sprockets, and have only adjusted the chain once so far ( about 10 rides).

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2007 - 09:04 AM

True. The OEM rear is average/good quality, and the OEM front is as good as most anything. The problem is the chain, and even good sprockets can't survive being run with a chain that's too long.

• warrior86

Posted January 12, 2007 - 11:01 AM

yeah well your right about just having a good chain. TO be honest, i ordered a good chain when i had about 5 hours on the bike, but by the time it arrived, i looked at my rear sprocket and it was trashed....badly!!!. I adjusted my chain (3 fingers) after each ride and by the end of the ride i could easily fit my whole hand in there. Better off using a rubber band...atleast they stretch back to original size. Ironman front and rear sprockets are on the way. Theoretically, the stock sprockets should last fine when coupled with a good chain. The rear is a Sunstar!

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2007 - 11:12 AM

When I brought mine home, I brought a new Regina ORN6 home with it. The OEM chain made two runs up the street and back, and that was it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.