Tire and Rim size question??

2 replies to this topic
  • Rethy

Posted January 07, 2007 - 10:29 AM

The rim on my xr has DID 215 X 305 DOT stamped in it. When sizing for proper tire this is a 3" wide rim not a 2.15 inch wide right? 2.15 sounds too narrow to me. Most tires for our bikes require a 2.5 inch wide rim. That is why I am thinking the 305 refers to width. Anyone know the meanings of these numbers?--------------Thanks, Rethy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted January 07, 2007 - 11:01 AM

The rim on my xr has DID 215 X 305 DOT stamped in it. When sizing for proper tire this is a 3" wide rim not a 2.15 inch wide right? 2.15 sounds too narrow to me. Most tires for our bikes require a 2.5 inch wide rim. That is why I am thinking the 305 refers to width. Anyone know the meanings of these numbers?--------------Thanks, Rethy

No it is just like what you are seeing. I usually use a tire specified for a 2.50 inch rim on my 2.15 inch rims. As you go further oversize the tire gets pinched by the rim and the tread portion gets curved more. What happens is that the side knobs get bent over no far that they never hit the dirt. The wear all happens on just the center knobs. This is even more the case on the pavement.

I'd say that tires for 2.50 inch rims are good to use. Tires for 3.00 inch rims may be OK, but expect them to wear pretty quick as only the center knobs will get much use. I wouldn't use tires for 3.50 inch rims on a 2.15 inch rim. They just have to bend too far to reach the small rim. On the pavement a tire for a 2.5 inch rim will have a bigger contact patch than the tire for a 3.50 rim if mounted on a 2.15 rim. As long as things don't rub, I don't think it's dangerous or anything, it's just that the extra $$$ for the bigger tire is being wasted.

Most motorcyclists, street and dirt, think a bigger tire is always better. This is not always the case. They do look cooler though.

• bcone

Posted January 07, 2007 - 06:06 PM

The 2.15 refers to the rim's width at the base of the inside of the rim (where the tire will seat). The 3.05 refers to the width of the rim at the outer edge.
I'm guessing that when you're ordering a new rim the measurement your looking at is the inside measure.

I went to a 2.5" 17" rim on the back so I can run my street and dirt tire (can't quite afford a new set of wheels just now). I went with a 2.5 instead of a 3.5 because it's easier to get the tire on and off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.