Tail light on 650L

22 replies to this topic
  • enginemedic

Posted January 06, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Does anybody know of a different style of rear tail light and license plate holder? The stock one looks like crap. Would the Baja Designs rear fender light for the 650R work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• drtlvr

Posted January 06, 2007 - 05:50 PM

dennis kirk has a ufo rear fender with a tail lite set up I had it on my xr.

Attached Thumbnails

• fender.jpg
  • fender 2.jpg

• jbird710

Posted January 06, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Baja Designs with a Maier rear fender:
http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=5587

• michhub

Posted January 06, 2007 - 06:19 PM

I have the Acerbis DOT unit that I got from Baja Designs(pics in my garage)...I gotta say the bulb socket is a cheap piece of plastic and may not last long...

MikeH

• bcone

Posted January 06, 2007 - 06:25 PM

DockingPilot (check the let's see the XRL's thread) has used a stock light from an XR R which fits perfectly, but is a bit small and does not have a white band for plate. I'm getting an Acerbis Mollsoft light which is a bit cheaper ($25 instead of $45 for stock on bikebandit) and then I'm just going to bolt the plate to the stock fender like Dockingpilot. That plus some smaller turn signals on the back and LED set up mounted to my bark busters and I'm good to go! Sorry no pics, maybe later. Also Acerbis sells replacement fender which looks good for about $40 I think it's the fast enduro fender which has a plate mount. Hope this helps.

• rebelventurer

Posted January 06, 2007 - 06:59 PM

Go with the baja designs led unit they now have them that are dot approved, and the crf 450, or maier rear fender as jbird reccomends. There are numerous threads that show this application and is by far the most attractive. Do not buy the acerbis dot approved incandescant unit the bulb holder is junk and you have to replace it with a more durable holder.

• jbird710

Posted January 06, 2007 - 07:23 PM

If you can find the Cemoto CR style rear fender for a XR600 to use with BD LED tailight; that looks slick. My neighbor did this on his and got the fender from XR's Only. I don't know if it's still available or not. I might change mine out to that setup after I finish with the triple clamp.

• bcone

Posted January 06, 2007 - 07:57 PM

Bummer, Acerbis light is on the way. Any advice (in advance of docket failure) for what to do to uprgrade the light socket?

The advantage of Dockingpilot's set up or something like it (UFO light) is that it does not cost more than just the light, no new fender. True, not as slick but less $. BTW I like the fender mounted turn signals on the rear of jbird710's bike. Was thinking of that myself. Hmmm.

• xr650l bum

Posted January 06, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Bummer, Acerbis light is on the way. Any advice (in advance of docket failure) for what to do to uprgrade the light socket?

The advantage of Dockingpilot's set up or something like it (UFO light) is that it does not cost more than just the light, no new fender. True, not as slick but less $. BTW I like the fender mounted turn signals on the rear of jbird710's bike. Was thinking of that myself. Hmmm.

Two failures occur! First the light burns out because of the off road pounding! Need to get the anti shock/vibration housing. Next failure is the bulb gets hot and the original housing is plastic, thus the prongs on the bulb will eventually make their way lose and bulb does not want to stay in anymore! Go to auto parts store and get a metal housing to replace plastic one. You need a three wire housing, but I could only find a two, and then attached ground wire to housing. After all that, to save some coin, I attached stock signals to the plastic housing of the light. The hole system tucks nicely under the rack for added protection! Hope this helps. :lol: :confused:

• goblin127

Posted January 07, 2007 - 07:19 AM

I tried them all and would have saved money buying the LED from baja design and the maier fender from the start. Any one Know if the lens from the DOT version of the baja D light will fit on the non DOT light?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CTXr650L

Posted January 07, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Im running the wps tail light from the thumper talk store on the stock fender, looks alot better than the stocker :lol:

• XR 650

Posted January 07, 2007 - 08:06 AM

Im running the wps tail light from the thumper talk store on the stock fender, looks alot better than the stocker :lol:

Do you have a picture? (besides in your garage?)

• drtlvr

Posted January 07, 2007 - 09:07 AM

this is my new set up crf450x rear fender with led tail and brakelite

Attached Thumbnails

• fender 001.jpg
  • fender 002.jpg

• CTXr650L

Posted January 07, 2007 - 10:56 AM

Do you have a picture? (besides in your garage?)

hmmm, i uploaded a closer (but still crappy) pic of it this morning... not showing in the garage for some reason. i will try to get it up here again

• Whiteman

Posted January 07, 2007 - 02:30 PM

I am not sure which light you a talking about. Can you copy a link to that light?

• CTXr650L

Posted January 07, 2007 - 02:39 PM

well for some reason i cant upload pics to my garage, in fact one dissapeared now heres the link to the page at the thumpertalk store http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=513 (hope it works). if you look at justicedone's bike in the garage it looks just like that :lol:

• xrltim

Posted January 07, 2007 - 05:57 PM

I've had the Acerbis light on two different bikes and although the light socket seems pretty cheesy it has held up for several years now on my latest bike. One thing I did to make it work a little better is put some liquid electrical tape on the base of the bulb. That way it won't vibrate out. Seems to work okay. It will fit on the stock fender and cover up all the holes left by the stock assembly. Pretty clean overall, cheap to.

• Whiteman

Posted January 08, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Thanks, that is the one I have been looking for. Is it bright enough for the street?

• DockingPilot

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:12 AM

Yes, here is mine. It fits perfectly on the exsisiting fender. The Acerbis will not, almost but not sano. This is from an XR250R, the rear fenders is the same mold, so its made to accomodate this lens. You just need the leans for a 250R.
Posted Image

• TDC71

Posted January 09, 2007 - 10:45 AM

Dockingpilot did you use the original bulb and socket from ur tv? I copied urs and was afraid the bulb would melt the lense so I got the 250r harness,The damn thing was only set up for brake function no running light. So I added a 3watt licence light and piggy backed it to the brake bulb.Running a 5watt for the brake. If you did use the original socket how did u run it?

Todd

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.