xr600 stalling on steep climbs in 1st gear

5 replies to this topic
  • old mate

Posted January 06, 2007 - 05:23 PM

the bike is stalling in 1st on steep climbs, dont know if it is a jetting issue or what? any ideas????

• icedfusion

Posted January 06, 2007 - 05:46 PM

Does the bike stall at all when riding on flat terrain? and is it only in 1st??? These climbs must be pretty step, as 1st is far too much for most hill climbs.

First check your float positioning and make sure that the float bowl has the correct amount of fuel in it - could be that the step angle is causing temp. fuel starvation.

If it was a jetting issue, I would expect you to stall in other places than just on a hill.

ice.

• old mate

Posted January 06, 2007 - 07:23 PM

it only stalled on steep hill climbs (its not my bike but my mate doesnt have a puter so I am checking up for him) basically really steep hill climb gets most of the way up and bogs out in 1st. It was really hairy terrain and not the kind of spot you want to stall I was fine on my bike though (drz400) and was able to go through anything.
I will tell him to check the float bowl though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • old mate

Posted January 10, 2007 - 04:01 PM

well we checked the float bowl and it seemed ok, cleaned the air filter (was pretty dirty so it could of been starved of air) and will go for a ride on sunday on the same tracks and see if it happens anymore.
the bike runs fine except for really steep climbs so the problem isnt with the carby.
will post again after sunday if the air filter clean fixes the problem.

• cleonard

Posted January 10, 2007 - 04:06 PM

Is he just going so slow that the engine no longer has the torque to keep going and the engine stalls? The proper technique here is to use the clutch so the engine does not die. I have to do this in really technical terrain and I have the stock 14 front and 48 rear gearing.

• rmhrc630

Posted January 10, 2007 - 09:31 PM

well we checked the float bowl and it seemed ok, cleaned the air filter (was pretty dirty so it could of been starved of air) and will go for a ride on sunday on the same tracks and see if it happens anymore.
the bike runs fine except for really steep climbs so the problem isnt with the carby.
will post again after sunday if the air filter clean fixes the problem.

is it just the normal cough and stall that XR6s are famous for?

If you're meandering up the steep trail at low revs, then whack the throttle hard, then it will cough stall.

There's nothing wrong with the bike in that event - the cough stall is just a characteristic of the mighty XR600

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.