Tall setup

12 replies to this topic
  • Dp2boy

Posted January 06, 2007 - 09:35 AM

I'm 6'5" and ride an '06 YZ450F and need more room. i'm going to install the SDG seat (if they ever ship them) and thinking about the Fastway pegs (although I didn't love 'em on my old KX, the screws ate my boots up) but was wondering which ProTaper bar offered the widest highest bend, any ideas. Also any other tall guys finding ways to get more room on the bike ?

• KJ790

Posted January 06, 2007 - 10:48 AM

I put washers under the bar mounts to raise that bars up a little bit. Made quite a difference. A little bit goes a long way. However I am not as tall as you, I'm only 6'1".

• StPeters21

Posted January 06, 2007 - 02:52 PM

I'm 6'3" 230 lbs and I use: a tall seat (I just bought the foam and seat cover from FX this time...much nicer), pro taper cr high bars (I might like taller, but never tried), fastway pegs, and most importantly Pro-Action suspension....

• Smokeslider

Posted January 06, 2007 - 04:20 PM

I just put on the KX High Bars(Second tallest only to Pastrana FMX) and +10mm MXBonz Bar Clamps, I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, I'm 6'5" about 240lbs

• Dp2boy

Posted January 06, 2007 - 06:38 PM

Sounds like the KX bars may be the way to go. I've heard the Pastrana bars are almost too high. Does anyone else make a footpeg that lowers besides Fastway ?

• dmitchel68

Posted January 06, 2007 - 09:48 PM

I just put on 50mm moose risers with moose fat bars(looks like the bars are close to the same bend as factory bars) and am quit happy with how it feels.
I have a 01 yzf426(6'3 225lbs) riding while standing is way more comfortable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LVThumper

Posted January 06, 2007 - 10:51 PM

I recently changed out my bars to the Pro Taper KX high, along with the 3/4" rise big bar adapter from Tusk (Rocky Mtn) and I am so much happier with my '01 426! :confused: I also have the SDG tall seat which is great when I start to get tired. I am 6'5" 250lb.

I was debating the under the bar mount Scotts and GPR stabilizers also, as those also raise up the bars quite a bit, but I am holding out for an '08 YZ450 as my Christmas gift to myself next year. :lol:

• jeffboyd47m

Posted January 07, 2007 - 12:11 AM

Sounds like the KX bars may be the way to go. I've heard the Pastrana bars are almost too high. Does anyone else make a footpeg that lowers besides Fastway ?

I tried the pastrana bars and they were too narrow. KX high is the way to go.

• Goosedog

Posted January 07, 2007 - 05:29 AM

I'm 6'4" 210lbs.
I've got the guts tall foam and cover, did the peg lowering mod and just rolled my stock bars forward a half inch or so. Feels good to me. :lol:

• StPeters21

Posted January 08, 2007 - 03:11 PM

I've also got my cr high bars rolled forward to 2. I didn't like my fastway pegs in the low pos. There are already lower than stock. They just felt funny that low, maybe because I'm not used to them that low???

• 700MX

Posted January 08, 2007 - 04:26 PM

As well as taller bar position, you also need the bars more forward. the taller you go, at the angle of the clamp, the bars come slightly closer to you. think about it. check out universal's bizilion way adjustable top clamp. get the +10 bar mount. what I like about mine is I can go back and forth with many different positions untill i find the sweet spot.

Standind up on high speed corners my toes would catch with lower pegs.

Make sure you have the right spring rates also....this will raise your "on track ride height" if you are undersprung. This is crucial, and will make a huge difference!

• 700MX

Posted January 08, 2007 - 04:28 PM

As well as taller bar position, you also need the bars more forward. the taller you go, at the angle of the clamp, the bars come slightly closer to you. think about it. check out universal's bizilion way adjustable top clamp. get the +10 bar mount. what I like about mine is I can go back and forth with many different positions untill i find the sweet spot.

Standind up on high speed corners my toes would catch with lower pegs.

Make sure you have the right spring rates also....this will raise your "on track ride height" if you are undersprung. This is crucial, and will make a huge difference!

STANDING

• NorCal

Posted January 08, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have the Pastrana FMX bend on my 2006 YZ450. I'm 6'3" and 220 pounds wet. I wasn't too hot on the bars at first, but they definitely grew on me. I like to stand a lot, and it seems like I'm not as hunched over with the Pastrana bend. I would reccommend them. It sounds like the KX or Pastrana bend is the way to go for you. Choose carefully.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.