AP Mod - I think I just Wasted my time!

26 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted January 08, 2007 - 10:46 AM

I like the AP squirt to start as early as possible to avoid a hesitation so I recommend setting the timing if you want the most out of it. If you are fine with it and have no issues, then run it as-is.

Yeah but I wonder why JD doesn't recommend it.:lol:

• bg10459

Posted January 08, 2007 - 12:02 PM

When you use the o rings instead of hard wiring, the o ring will stretch to allow the gap to open up at WOT.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 08, 2007 - 04:28 PM

Yeah but I wonder why JD doesn't recommend it.:lol:

Setting the AP timing is a given for best throttle response. If you need JD to say it to make it viable in your mind, call him.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted January 08, 2007 - 09:03 PM

I like the AP squirt to start as early as possible to avoid a hesitation so I recommend setting the timing if you want the most out of it. If you are fine with it and have no issues, then run it as-is.

Can you be more specific with regards to "setting the timing"? I just want to make sure I understand your comment. I just hope I didn't mess anything up permantly as a result of this mod.

Thanks

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 08, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Permanently screwing something up, huh? What exactly did you do?

The AP timing is adjusted by the screw. The further out it is, the earlier the squirt starts in relation to throttle movements. If its too late, there can be a hesitation between when the slide starts to open, allowing more air into the motor and when the AP squirts fuel in order to overcome a hiccup. That is the entire point of the AP. By setting the timing as early as possible, you overcome any possible hiccup because the fuel is there as soon as the slide moves. Too early and the AP squirt could hit the slide and waste the shot, but this doesn't seem to be an issue with most of the carbs that I've looked at.

Not to bust your balls but from the get go you have been negative about the mod. If you were worried about screwing things up or didn't fully understand why the mod was even necessary or exactly how it worked then perhaps you should have either asked more questions before or not done it at all.

• red7

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:05 PM

Have you guys come to a concensus on the best leak jet size to go to. My folks are coming down to Mexico next week and I'd like to order some so they can bring a few of them based upon your recommendations. Also, where's the best place to get them and are their specific ones for our carbs?

Thanks!

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:14 PM

Any FCR MX carb leak jet will work. I like the #70 in the YZ450's. You can get them from Sudco or www.jd-jetting.com

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.