YZ's Suck for this...

31 replies to this topic
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted January 07, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Seriously, i give you a lot of credit. extreme dedication to the sport. i guess i won't grumble so loud next time we go trail cleaning in the mountains out here...

They way I look at it is that it was a helluva lot better than sitting in my office!

• dirtbiker327

Posted January 07, 2007 - 10:33 AM

Wow props to you. I dont think I would ever try to ride in snow that deep much less carrying all that stuff.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted January 07, 2007 - 04:48 PM

This is what you need for hauling that chainsaw around. It aint cheep but works sooooo good. You have to keep the speeds down though. Going thru the woops at mach speed aint in the cards with that hanging off the back.

Pict #1

Pict #2

www.promotobillet.com

That looks like a fun ride in the snow with the trials tire on. I accidently stumbled into a ride like that in Novebmer. Green grass at my house and 3-4 inches of heavy wet snow an hour north. I was not prepared for the snow at all. The trials tire worked but a knobby would of been better.

My Honda is now studded for the snow. Got one ride in Dec 1st and then all the snow melted. So there sits the honda all studded up and no snow to ride. Oh well I still have the YZ to ride.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted January 09, 2007 - 07:05 PM

i cant wait for it to snow so i can try my yz 400f in the snow is fun racing the quads in the sno and whopping them

• Snowman269

Posted January 13, 2007 - 10:43 AM

I enjoy riding in the snow, quite similiar to sand riding where keeping speed up makes the difference. Myself & a few buddies used to hit the trails for a whole day at least once a winter for fun.

I have never studded or bought those purpose made spiked tires, although I have came close to making a purchase many times.

My question is what does a trials tire do better in snow?

Is there any on here who have the SnoXcycle track system? Very interesting?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:50 AM

My question is what does a trials tire do better in snow?

I think a good knoby is better in the snow. I did a snow ride with a trials tire by accident (didn't know there was snow) as long as someone else was breaking trail I could go thru fine. But there was no way I was breaking trail with that tire thru 4-5" of snow. Just not enough traction.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:19 PM

A knobby only works when the ground isn't frozen solid. At that point you need trelleborg's. I rode a few weeks ago in the snow with the ground unfrozen and my S12 was hooking up just fine.

This was a trelleborg day!
Posted Image
Posted Image

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:10 PM

A knobby only works when the ground isn't frozen solid. At that point you need trelleborg's. I rode a few weeks ago in the snow with the ground unfrozen and my S12 was hooking up just fine.

In deeper snow a knobbie is way better than a trials tire for sure. S-12's are great tires...I was riding my RM250 with an S-12 today and we were in open sage type country with maybe an inch and a half of snow cover on top of the hills and it was doing great. My son was on my YZ with the trials tire and he was not having any problems at all either...but down in the ravines where there were rocks and ice the trials tire definitely had the advantage.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:16 PM

In deeper snow a knobbie is way better than a trials tire for sure. S-12's are great tires...I was riding my RM250 with an S-12 today and we were in open sage type country with maybe an inch and a half of snow cover on top of the hills and it was doing great. My son was on my YZ with the trials tire and he was not having any problems at all either...but down in the ravines where there were rocks and ice the trials tire definitely had the advantage.

Rocks and ice!
Posted Image

• Novi2kRT

Posted January 13, 2007 - 11:44 PM

Man.. last time I saw snow.. I turned the car around.. drove back down and then for about an hour or so.. then enjoyed high 80 degree weather. Gotta love the big island! LOL

I do miss snow.. but I never thought of a dirty bike in it.. guess we just jumped on the sleds, dog or mechanised first chance we got.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 14, 2007 - 02:53 PM

Posted Image

Here is how I carry my saw. A fellow club member built this for me, I have to repay him by cutting trails. I am not sure if it was a good idea or not :lol: This type of carrier is functional, but does slow steering considerably. The PMB mount is cool, but not available for the YZ426F.

• SurvivorMan

Posted January 14, 2007 - 07:29 PM

This is an excellent thread. my winter will consist of Trelleborg snow riding and opening up our trails up here in Canada. we had a huge windstorm in November that closed alot of our trails (stubborn bushwacking/bike lifting was even impossible). I take my 06 yz 250 smoker out for trail clearing, but i can't get a back rack from PMB for that bike, maybe I will have to try the front fender idea. Does anyone have an idea for mounting to my 2 stroke? I might have to get something custom built for the rear mount idea. up until now i have been carrying my saw in a backpack

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.