Boyenseed AP

15 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted January 05, 2007 - 10:38 AM

Hey guys Im just sitting here installing the new boyenseed AP cover on my 99 yz400f. In the direction it mentions gapping the timing screw after you've installed the cover the picture in the directions is not exactly of my carb so it looks different from the actually carb I have. Where is the ap timing screw anyone have a pic??

• tammie

Posted January 05, 2007 - 12:17 PM

actually it says if the factory settings have been changed to gap the timing screw to 0.100 since i have never touched the carb im assuming its never been changed....

• flintlock28

Posted January 05, 2007 - 04:14 PM

I've got a 2004 Yz450f, but I think I remember seeing this same info about this bike's carb. If I remember correctly, the screw has some type of Glyptal (or paint on it) to show that it's set at the factory, and has not been moved.

Rotate the throttle, with the cover off, and you should see a screw that will contact a rub block or some type of lever to actuate the Accel. pump. The screw will run parrallel with the length of the bike (i.e. it will be 90 degree's turned from the Oil filter drain bolts) You should see either black or white paint or glyptal on it.

• SXP

Posted January 05, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Hey guys Im just sitting here installing the new boyenseed AP cover on my 99 yz400f. In the direction it mentions gapping the timing screw after you've installed the cover the picture in the directions is not exactly of my carb so it looks different from the actually carb I have. Where is the ap timing screw anyone have a pic??

Tammie - You (and I) have a first generation FCR carb - there is no timing screw to adjust on this carb. The only adjustment you can make that I'm aware of is the Taffy Mod.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2007 - 04:50 PM

The only adjustment you can make that I'm aware of is the Taffy Mod.

Link?

• SXP

Posted January 05, 2007 - 04:53 PM

Link?

I'll see if I can dig one up.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2007 - 04:54 PM

Nevermind, I got it.

http://docta-zaius.f.../whats_new.html

• tammie

Posted January 06, 2007 - 09:47 AM

thanx do i need to do this as well as the quickshot AP cover i already installed??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Florida_426

Posted January 12, 2007 - 08:50 AM

tammie,
Gray will correct me if I am wrong but having to adjust the AP after doing the Boyesen Quickshot install will depend on the particular bike, its state of tune, its jetting and location. I am at sea level, hot to warm with high humidity most of the year. When I did the Boyesen Quickshot I didn't need an AP adjustment, fortunately. I am ready to do it if it ever feels like the bog is present, in fact I just reread the procedures in the Technical section here.

Bill

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2007 - 09:46 AM

I've never messed with a Quickshot, because I've never felt like the accelerator pump was a problem. I'm an old school thumper kind of guy who learned to roll the throttle instead of snapping it, and once it's jetted and adjusted right, my stuff doesn't bog.

But the 400 was an earlier carb that I'm not strictly familiar with. TTBOMK, the purpose of the Quickshot is only to increase the accel pump reservior size and increase the speed at which it refills so that it can produce several consecutive shots, as when negotiating a whoop section. For most people, I think it's a Black Feather.

• Goosedog

Posted January 12, 2007 - 10:12 AM

For most people, I think it's a Black Feather.

I'm not familiar with that saying but I agree if it means what I think it does. I put the AP cover on my 426, did the timing screw gap and the bike had a worse bog than before. Took it off and installed a JD jet kit instead and now she rips. :lol:

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2007 - 10:42 AM

I'm not familiar with that saying

I'll bet you're more familiar than you think. 'Heard the story of Dumbo?

• Goosedog

Posted January 12, 2007 - 12:55 PM

I'll bet you're more familiar than you think. 'Heard the story of Dumbo?

What'd you call me? :lol: :confused: :lol:

Jk, yeah I remember that movie...gad I must be old.:crazy:

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2007 - 01:47 PM

... I must be old.:confused:

Maybe, but I'm older. :lol:

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" -Leroy Robert "Satchel" Paige

• Goosedog

Posted January 12, 2007 - 03:27 PM

Maybe, but I'm older. :lol:

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" -Leroy Robert "Satchel" Paige

And here's another good one..........."what would you attempt if you didn't believe you could fail?"

• tammie

Posted January 14, 2007 - 03:41 PM

thanx for the info.....:lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.