IMPORTANT-faulty 07 air filters...make sure yours is not the same.

133 replies to this topic
  • gregwr450f

Posted March 16, 2007 - 10:17 PM

All new bikes sold should OK now as the dealers have been notified by Yamaha

• texashart

Posted March 17, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Nope. The one I was to pickup had the hole-y cage. No dice for me. I'm trying to find the part locally before I pick up the bike. The dealer 'knew' about it but failed to mention it to me when we spoke on the phone. That sucks they were going to let me have the bike w/ this documented problem. The TT has already saved me tons of grief. THANKS GUYS/GALS!!

BTW - the bike was a brand-new crated 2007 WR450F. Dealer knew about the faulty filter cage, Yamaha knows about the faulty filter cage and both were fine w/ me purchasing the bike w/o the new part or a fix. NOT cool!

TexasHart

All new bikes sold should OK now as the dealers have been notified by Yamaha

• OzMatt

Posted March 18, 2007 - 01:53 AM

Same deal in OZ.
The dealer told me there wasn't a problem with the Australian models even though I specifically asked him about it.
I got the bike home and thought I better check it for piece of mind. What do you know, a hole in the cage.
Marched right back to the dealer and did my nut.
Their excuse was they run out of replacement cages and forgot to get another one to put in it. *#$%%@ idiots.
This from the head mechanic.
On top of this they took the baffle out the exhaust and threw it away, so I demanded another one from another bike on the showroom floor. *#$%%@ idiots again.
All I can say is thanks TTers. You saved me a dusted engine.

Matt

• rasta

Posted March 18, 2007 - 11:24 AM

I pick up my new 450F tomorrow IF the cage is the correct one. I'll report back w/ a status and a build date. Maybe we can determine which bikes are suspect by when they were built?

i work at the local yamaha shop, yamaha knows wich airfilter cages were drilled out to much buy using the vin numbers, they sent us a list of bike vin# that need cages to be swapped out. we contacted every customer that had faulty cages.

• jcmmcgee

Posted March 18, 2007 - 04:13 PM

Dealers know this, they should check when they set them up. If they miss it let them know. They will be happy to replace it free of charge. Mine did.

• texashart

Posted March 18, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I went ahead and bought the bike, and it ended up not having the correct cage, but had what they described as a pre-recall, mid-production correction. The hole is there, but sealed from the factory. I didn't believe it either when I heard it on the way to pick up the bike, I thought they were simply trying to make the sale. The service manager showed me the part as soon as I walked in and said they would ship me the correct one next week, to keep this one as a spare. I'll take a pic tomorrow or Tuesday, I know nobody's going to believe a WR noob, but I swear the part is some sort of hybrid, and is factory. Nobody @ the dealership had seen this part, and they sell TONS of bikes! To this point they had seen two types of WR's: Ones with holes, ones with out and now this third variety...

• davo ttt

Posted March 18, 2007 - 11:17 PM

:applause: with all this worrying about a little hole i hope none of you have punched out the airbox coz if you have just look at the dirt concentration around it you will want to plug it up lol

• sts475

Posted March 20, 2007 - 06:31 PM

I hate to disagree with you but I guess they didn't teach you about this at USC. Read SAE 930019 & 952557 papers and they will explain to you about the effects of fine dust entering an engine and the long term damage that it does. A properly oiled and greased foam filter will remove in upwards of 99.86 percent of all particles. That's why they are still used. That and they are re-useable. The particles that they don't remove add up to about a tea spoon every 3 years. That's an acceptable level for an off road vehicle.

All of the people (that got the open filter cage) got screwed by Yamaha. Yamaha is in denial and covering their a$$es so they don't have to pay for many engines. I had my oil analyzed and even though I caught mine at 5 hours of operation, it still had elevated levels of silicon and aluminum in the oil. Silicon can combine with carbon to produce an element that is harder than diamonds and it can wash down in the oil and take out your lower end as well. It embeds in the metal and keeps wearing out the motor though out it's useable life span.

This has done untold damage and accelerated wear to a brand new engine. There isn't any excuse for this any way you look at it. I'm lucky, but the others are not. Yamaha should be held accountable for this and I am willing to help any way that I can. Anyone can email me and I will tell you how to get your oil analyzed and what it means. Don't let any dealer blow you off with a leak down test. The oil analysis is the true indication of the engine condition in relationship to dirt.

Know the truth !!!!

STS.

I hate to tell y'all this, but the air filter in ANY internal combustion isn't 100%. Granted, the hole down the new filter's center pin is bad news, but if you're expecting perfection once the problem is fixed, you're in for a huge disappointment. In other words, Dust Happens...SC

• gearb0x

Posted March 23, 2007 - 08:03 PM

My dad bought an 07 WR450 around ~4 weeks ago here in Australia

around 2 weeks after he got it i noticed this thread and informed him of the problem. He told me "They should have fixed that at the dealer" i told him to check just in case but no dice.

Just before dad walked into my room with the cage "Jeez phill im lucky i didnt ride it long", "Why is there a hole in your filter cage?" "HOW DID YOU KNOW?"

hes adamant i didn't tell him about it :applause: He was "informed" today when he went to buy oil for it.

DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING PEOPLE, it only takes 2 seconds to check.

• sts475

Posted March 24, 2007 - 07:58 PM

Dude !

Of course the engine will be sealed. Dust going through it will (in effect) extrusion hone your engine and seat things rather quickly. Have your oil analyzed. You can get it done at most Caterpillar dealers. High levels of silicon and aluminum will most likely mean it sucked considerable dirt. They will explain the analysis to you.

After the silicon embeds in the ring lands and valve seats and guides and washes past the rings, it will embed in bearings and oil pumps and has essentially accelerated the wear to, and shortened the life of, your engine. Oil analysis is the best way to see if your engine has been damaged.
Don't let any dealer blow you off with a compression or leak down check !

Good Luck !

STS.

just got my bike back from the shop they did a leak test and compression is up took out the air box checked for residue bike looked clean. The owner of the shop said he was impressed with the power on my bike.and if i had a problem latter to bring it back and they would take care of it. They replaced the cage screen and i went home oiled her up did an oil change and she is good to go. see you at Ocotillio Wells saturday me and the fam...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Looks450

Posted March 25, 2007 - 04:06 AM

Mine was offically recalled by the dealer two days ago. I told them about the problem, and refused to leave with a faulty cage on the 15 Jan. I was lucky and stole a good cage out of a wr250f that was on the floor.

So it takes three months to compute that there is a problem hey.

Cheers
Looks

• gregwr450f

Posted March 25, 2007 - 09:41 PM

Mine was offically recalled by the dealer two days ago. I told them about the problem, and refused to leave with a faulty cage on the 15 Jan. I was lucky and stole a good cage out of a wr250f that was on the floor.

So it takes three months to compute that there is a problem hey.

Cheers
Looks

Red Baron at Liverpool?

• markhughesj

Posted April 26, 2007 - 09:18 PM

I posted on this thread back in January. I put silicon in the hole after doing 2 run in rides on my own. I have since done only 200kms over 3 rides (I know .... it's been hot and dry in Brisbane)

Still no replacment cage has been supplied. I rang my dealer and he said he has the new cages in stock and will drop one off to me tonight. He had the same problem with his WR250F and did the silicon mod in the interim.

Pretty piss poor of Yamaha and their dealers. I think I was actually the one who informed my dealer back in January.

Best of luck to those that have done many kms and miles prior to notification of the problem. One thing is for sure. I wouldn't buy or recommend anybody buy a second hand WR purchased between the release date and April 2007 given the wear of invisible engine component wear resulting from poor air filtration.

Mark H

• sucker punch

Posted April 27, 2007 - 06:37 PM

i didnt know about the hole until i read about it here. so when i read about it, i went straight out to see it mine had the hole and there it was. thats guys..

• Just034

Posted April 27, 2007 - 07:58 PM

1 week old 07 WR250 and it had the bad cage. They had put the bike together the day I bought it. the date was 20 Apr 07

• fitzy

Posted April 28, 2007 - 12:26 AM

Best of luck to those that have done many kms and miles prior to notification of the problem. One thing is for sure. I wouldn't buy or recommend anybody buy a second hand WR purchased between the release date and April 2007 given the wear of invisible engine component wear resulting from poor air filtration.

Mark H

Bought mine in Febuary and it was ok, but Yamaha still supplied me with a new cage:thumbsup: I think it is bike intermittent:thumbsup:

• blackdog9

Posted June 03, 2007 - 12:04 AM

Problem solved!! An sponge ear plug with some loctite, stuffed the hole. 1000 miles and going fine (no replacements for that part in Chile )
Greets
Posted Image

• dustinw

Posted July 05, 2007 - 05:47 PM

I just picked up a new 07 WR450 last month, and it had the hole in the middle of the air filter cage. The sales guy was going over the fact that the bike had just been PDI'd and was ready to go, when I pointed it out to him, mentioning that Yamaha issued a recall notice for that. They quickly swapped the cage for me, but you gotta watch those guys.

• Sycamore

Posted August 01, 2007 - 10:34 AM

Does anybody have a pic of a cage the way it should look like?

• BigcahunaK

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:46 PM

Got my 07WR a week ago and it had the faulty cage.
I took the self expendable ear plug idea, and took it a little further as I didnt want to take the risk of letting the engine suck it in. It only takes a few drills and one small safety strip.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.