IMPORTANT-faulty 07 air filters...make sure yours is not the same.

133 replies to this topic
  • whooptop

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:43 AM

When air and fuel combust in the chamber, the expand to a greater volume than they were before. They do this very quickly. That is how the power in your engine is made. When the air exits the engine, it is at a greater volume than it is when it enters. Also, air tends to be pushed at a faster rate than it is when it comes in.

I,ll go with that :lol:

• Flytmech

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:40 PM

Well I just got mine a week and a half ago and YESssss I got a hole too. I rode in the local red clay sand pits last weekend so I was a little concerned to say the least. I checked my filter and found very very little if anything beyond it. I am pleased with this and will continue to ride until they post the fix for it. I will also call my dealer tomorrow to make sure they are aware of mine having the hole. Great job with finding this problem and it is a good thing. I work on helicopters for a living and I know from first hand experience what sand can do to the intertnal working parts of an engine. So be concerned but know that the filter is doing its job and Im pretty sure that if the mechanical failure you have can be traced to wear from sand ingestion due to that small hole, it would seem yamaha would do the right thing like they always do.
This is my first reply and I will end with saying TT rocks!!! :lol:

• gregwr450f

Posted January 18, 2007 - 11:11 PM

Well I just got mine a week and a half ago and YESssss I got a hole too. I rode in the local red clay sand pits last weekend so I was a little concerned to say the least. I checked my filter and found very very little if anything beyond it. I am pleased with this and will continue to ride until they post the fix for it. I will also call my dealer tomorrow to make sure they are aware of mine having the hole. Great job with finding this problem and it is a good thing. I work on helicopters for a living and I know from first hand experience what sand can do to the intertnal working parts of an engine. So be concerned but know that the filter is doing its job and Im pretty sure that if the mechanical failure you have can be traced to wear from sand ingestion due to that small hole, it would seem yamaha would do the right thing like they always do.
This is my first reply and I will end with saying TT rocks!!! :lol:

I wouldn't say the filter is doing it's job, nor would I say Yamaha are doing the right thing........based on this.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=459802

• waynus

Posted January 19, 2007 - 12:03 AM

This is my first reply and I will end with saying TT rocks!!! :confused:

What can sand do to the working parts of an engine and how do you know the sand isn't going directly through the hole and into the engine?
I reckon if this was found on a helicopter, they would be grounded and stripped down. What's to say a bike wont seize on a corner doing 60mph and spit the rider off when a ring breaks up and takes a chunk out of the piston due to sand getting in there.
It's damn disgusting that there has been no recall yet to my knowledge!
Sorry if I'm too hard on you on your first post. I'll look forward to your second. :lol:

• Merlin450

Posted January 19, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Picked up mine Wed. and checked it today. It has the hole, so I plugged it with an expanding ear plug. Rode it for about 7 miles and rechecked it, seems to be staying place. This should work until I can up with a more permanent fix.

• splitpunk

Posted January 20, 2007 - 11:30 AM

Pulled mine went to the dealer called the factory I am bringing my bike to the shop even as I write. I want the carb cleaned out and the bike worked over. I have been out three times since I got the bike have over 320 miles on it. Been in serious silt and sand and major dust. Occotillo wells 2x and johnson valley for 4 days straight. Silty dry lake stuff. Man I sure hope they do what is right I may ask for a new Engine. I have spent over $30.000 on bikes from this dealer and they have been good to me so we will see what the factory can come up with I will let you know.....:lol:

• whooptop

Posted January 21, 2007 - 12:28 AM

I feel sorry for people still out there riding in the dust that dont know yet

• Fullbore4

Posted January 21, 2007 - 03:09 AM

I doubt much dirt would be caught in the carb.....it would be entrained in the heavy air flow directly into the jug.

• Fullbore4

Posted January 21, 2007 - 03:16 AM

When air and fuel combust in the chamber, the expand to a greater volume than they were before. They do this very quickly. That is how the power in your engine is made. When the air exits the engine, it is at a greater volume than it is when it enters. Also, air tends to be pushed at a faster rate than it is when it comes in.

mass flow is the same out as it is in. It just feels like more air is coming out because it is expanding as it exits. but the air going in is clipping right along if you do the math.

• CISCO

Posted January 21, 2007 - 07:47 AM

The word from Yamaha is there will soon be tech bulletin regarding this and you can bring the bike in and swap out the filter n/c. Keep in ouch with your dealer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • splitpunk

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:35 AM

Swap out the cage that sounds ok, BUT, what about the damage already done? With silt and sand going directly into the motor, Piston, rings cylinders,and how about compression. In cali we ride in dust, sand, silt from dry lake beds. And I hate to say it but I am not always in the lead. My buddy says to push for a new engine because he knows where I ride, Behind him! I want it on the record that I have a complaint and that I would hope Yamaha would take care of the situation. I do not like my bike in the shop I want to ride but if I did not take it in then I would have fixed the cage problem and what of the internal engine problem that may exist. I just spent a bucket of cash on the 07wr450 and I want to ride daddy. NOW. waa,:lol: waa,:confused: waa,:crazy: waa:cry:

• dangermouse007

Posted January 21, 2007 - 11:44 AM

Does anybody have the Cage part number ... or any part Fiche for the 2007

• msgbean

Posted January 21, 2007 - 02:20 PM

I do believe a cage off of an 03-06 WR is the same. All my extra filters off my 03 fits the 07 cage.

• yamaman1001

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:52 AM

according to the parts fisch the cage from the 03 up WR250 and 04 and up WR 450 use the same cage. part # same.....:lol:

• b_faster

Posted January 22, 2007 - 12:41 PM

Got the hole thankfully the rain has kept the riding to a minimum and at that, no dust to speak of. I have 6 miles on the bike, so I am not worried, the guy with 300+ miles in the dust has a lot to worry about.

I had an air filter problem at the ISDE qualifier last year, the bike made it 47 miles before the dust had it so low on compression it wouldnt start. The hole in the air filter was about 50% larger than the hole with the filter cage and clip. It doesnt take much in the right conditions, I was riding the ears off of the 250 in some blinding dust, but you get the jest of it.

• splitpunk

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Just got back from the shop. service guy had yamaha on the line there is a bulitin out, there is a part fix and they will get it for me in a day or 2. The tech said that if they tear the engine apart they would send out a rep to look at it, if it is messed up i.e cylinder scratches you know the call. Then they would pay to have it fixed. If there is nothing wrong then it would be my dime and I would have to pay for the tear down and put back. I payed for the extra year warrenty actually 4 year deal so I think that I will get the fix ,wait for valve work change the cams at that time and look at the pistons. I am on record with the factory as well as the dealer about what could have happend so I think I should be safe.
What do you all think let me know please.:lol:

• gregwr450f

Posted January 23, 2007 - 03:04 AM

I think I would tell the dealer, there is no way I would pay for the tear down and put back together work, Yamaha have stuffed up and the tear down must be performed to ensure the motor is not damaged.
Not your fault they stuffed up.

• splitpunk

Posted January 23, 2007 - 05:29 AM

What are the rest of you diong? Are you just fixing the problem or are you at the dealer complaing? Is anyone bitching about a new engine? Or are you all just sitting on you butts waiting for more info or some poor slob to start the ball rolling? Hey I don't know exactly what to do! I do know that I do not want my bike in the shop for 2 months and make payments to my credit union on something that I do not have. Should I fight the system:foul: or just wait till it shuts down enjoy the ride then let them have it with both guns?:confused: Let me know what you think!!!!!!??????:lol: :crazy:

• b_faster

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:48 AM

I havent ridden mine enough, however if I had ridden in the conditions and the time that you have, the dealer would be taking care of me. I have that relationship with my dealership. It would not be coming out of my pocket. It doesnt matter what it looks like, they would putting me a new head, cyl, and piston. The dealership can make or break the deal.

• jsmith811

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:41 AM

My 07 wr250 has the defect.. Called dealer and they are "checking" on it. Shew.. I told them there is a service bulliten. I ask the Service dept. MANAGER if he thought the "hole" would hurt the bike with over 100 miles on it, he blew it off completely and said NO, no way it would hurt anything. SHEW>..

So I'm also calling Yamaha to file a report/open a claim whatever I can get done. ..
Yamaha Motor Corportation:18009627926

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.