IMPORTANT-faulty 07 air filters...make sure yours is not the same.

133 replies to this topic
  • metal_wizzard

Posted January 05, 2007 - 07:12 PM

looks bit dusty inside shroud :lol:

• whooptop

Posted January 05, 2007 - 07:17 PM

[quote name='derwud2']I checked my filter and I have the hole, what I did see is that metal spring wire covers the hole 99.999999999% right now, but. Here is my air box. if you seal the hole in center you would seal the fit

by the look of that pic you have a lot more dust and grit in there than me

• beasly

Posted January 05, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Looking at the parts spec for the YZ it has a bolt with wing nut and washer. It's probably the same filter.

derwud2, does that hole have threads? The YZ part numbers are:

90209-06014-00 WASHER
90122-06005-00 BOLT, WING

• clark4131

Posted January 05, 2007 - 07:43 PM

I hate to tell y'all this, but the air filter in ANY internal combustion isn't 100%. Granted, the hole down the new filter's center pin is bad news, but if you're expecting perfection once the problem is fixed, you're in for a huge disappointment. In other words, Dust Happens...SC

• msgbean

Posted January 05, 2007 - 07:59 PM

I checked my filter and I have the hole, what I did see is that metal spring wire covers the hole 99.999999999% right now

Its not a hepa filter. It probably doesn't cover the hole 80%. Think about it. You have a 1/4" hole covered by an 1/8" piece of wire. That leaves almost a 1/16" gap on each side. The problem is easy to fix. I'm just glad someone caught it.

• Derwud

Posted January 05, 2007 - 08:48 PM

It's the picture, it's clean I triple checked.

• Derwud

Posted January 05, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Looking at the parts spec for the YZ it has a bolt with wing nut and washer. It's probably the same filter.

90209-06014-00 WASHER

I just stuck a key through it, so I'm not sure.

• SXP

Posted January 05, 2007 - 09:05 PM

Just pulled my filter - same situation. The bike has 176 miles. The inside of the air box has a fine coating of dust. I ran my fingers around the inside of the box and left streaks where my finger disturbed the dust. To fix this, I used a rubber plug for a vacuum nipple (like on the carbs of some street bikes) that I had in my tool box that is a really tight fit and jammed it down the hole. I'll pull the filter after the next ride to make sure the plug hasn't begun an engine death march down the plastic barrel. I really had to force it in there so I'm pretty sure it's staying put.

• whooptop

Posted January 05, 2007 - 09:09 PM

90209-06014-00 WASHER

the hole has no thread :lol:

• clark4131

Posted January 05, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Folks, the carb doesn't pull that drastic of a vacuum. Plug the hole with something solid using a quality epoxy and forget about it...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whooptop

Posted January 05, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Folks, the carb doesn't pull that drastic of a vacuum. Plug the hole with something solid using a quality epoxy and forget about it...SC

I thought wat comes out the exhaust has to go in through the air filter.
I,m very happy with the bike apart from this issue
hope they will replace the cage at the least

• gregwr450f

Posted January 05, 2007 - 09:46 PM

Take your filter and give your bike a good rev, they suck like a nun on drugs!!

I would up the dealers if my bike had sucked dust into the boot.

• warlock50

Posted January 05, 2007 - 10:17 PM

Take your filter and give your bike a good rev, they suck like a nun on drugs!!

I would up the dealers if my bike had sucked dust into the boot.

Im just glad mine is at the dealers waiting for me to pick it up.
Now they can order me a new one and fix the problem.
As for you other guys if ya done a few rides with ya bike i would be asking for more than a fixed filter cage.

• whooptop

Posted January 06, 2007 - 12:54 AM

The thing is that the intake charge is going to take the route with the least resistance and that is the hole with no filter around it.

• atkinse

Posted January 06, 2007 - 07:35 AM

You guys could have a look at the KTM 2 strokes. Thet have a very nifty alluminium lug that fits the wire and the filter. I fortunately had one from one of my old KTM's for my new WR. Works Great.

• DEZZNUTJOB

Posted January 06, 2007 - 08:15 AM

If the intake doesn't have a threaded hole like the yz, (witch it should) just nut-n-bolt it or try using a filter skin. This is for the slow riders, us front guys need not worry so much.:lol:

• obermeyer

Posted January 06, 2007 - 09:59 AM

Guys, This is an issue in the USA I looked at 7 bikes on my show room floor and all but One had the hole thru it. I ordered 6 new cages from yamaha and got a call from them in less than 30 minutes of placing the order online. They told us that there is an issue and they are working on it. and placed our parts on backorder until its figured out. The same cage fits back to 03 so not sure when this started but its not looking good. I own a 07 wr250 and it had a hole which I plan to plug with RTV until We get a fix.

THANKS TO BLOKE WHO SHARED THIS WITH US>

OBE

• ppennings

Posted January 06, 2007 - 12:22 PM

Guys, This is an issue in the USA I looked at 7 bikes on my show room floor and all but One had the hole thru it. I ordered 6 new cages from yamaha and got a call from them in less than 30 minutes of placing the order online. They told us that there is an issue and they are working on it. and placed our parts on backorder until its figured out. The same cage fits back to 03 so not sure when this started but its not looking good. I own a 07 wr250 and it had a hole which I plan to plug with RTV until We get a fix.

THANKS TO BLOKE WHO SHARED THIS WITH US>

OBE

Looks like a world wide issue with the first production run.

Is there any smoke coming out the exhaust of a cold engine when reved?

• obermeyer

Posted January 06, 2007 - 01:18 PM

It's both the 450 and 250 WR.

• metal_wizzard

Posted January 06, 2007 - 01:19 PM

I hate to tell y'all this, but the air filter in ANY internal combustion isn't 100%. Granted, the hole down the new filter's center pin is bad news, but if you're expecting perfection once the problem is fixed, you're in for a huge disappointment. In other words, Dust Happens...SC

: &%$#@!: dude u sound happy to go rideing with 6mm hole through your air filter :lol: whooptops the No1 man i,m gunna make a new gold plated WR badge for his rear guard. dam him saved heaps of 07 wrs from the dreaded dust :confused: think badge only aussie bikes

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.