Relieving front fork pressure

14 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted January 04, 2007 - 11:31 AM

I just picked up my '06 YZ450 from a dealer in Utah and he said I should probably relieve some of the pressure since I'm going from 6000' to sea level. Is this correct? What do I do and how do I do it?
Thanks!

• Wyatt

Posted January 04, 2007 - 11:47 AM

There is a bleeder screw on top of the forks. Don't get it confused with the adjuster screw that is in the center of the top. Have your bike on a stand and unscrew the bleeder screw with a small flat blade screwdriver. You shoudl hear a hiss as air escapes. Then simply screw it back in.

It is a good idea to do this on riding days also to be sure that you don't build too much pressure in the forks due to heat. It takes a few seconds to do.

• 642MX

Posted January 04, 2007 - 12:22 PM

I bleed mine almost every ride. Its amazing how much pressure they do build in a short period of time.

• red7

Posted January 08, 2007 - 09:04 AM

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed to know. Maybe that's why my front suspension seems rock hard. I know it still needs to breakin and that it will never be as smooth as my WR on trails but I had to white knuckle it the day I broke it in 'cuz any little bump or rock would want to throw me off the bike.

• Reyndogg

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:22 AM

make sure the front wheel is off the ground when you do this....

• yami racer

Posted January 08, 2007 - 12:16 PM

Also be sure to be careful not to cross thread this. It is easy to do if you are not careful....

• Birdy426

Posted January 08, 2007 - 12:38 PM

make sure the front wheel is off the ground when you do this....

Why? I do mine with the bike on the kickstand all the time...not arguing, just want to understand.
Thanks,
Birdie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2012 450 xc-w

Posted January 08, 2007 - 12:55 PM

The proper amount of pressure is realized by volume. When the bike is on a side stand there is weight on the fork (sag) effectively reducing the amount of air going into the fork.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2007 - 01:45 PM

The fork is supposed to have atmospheric pressure in it when fully extended. If you relieve them while they are partially compressed, they will have a partial vacuum in them when extended, which can contribute to pulling dirt into the seals.

• Reyndogg

Posted January 08, 2007 - 02:12 PM

The fork is supposed to have atmospheric pressure in it when fully extended. If you relieve them while they are partially compressed, they will have a partial vacuum in them when extended, which can contribute to pulling dirt into the seals.

bingo... this can make your fork seals go boom :lol:

I have the moose bleeders and im quite happy with 'em.

• red7

Posted January 08, 2007 - 02:54 PM

Ooops, I did it to mine while on the ground. Should I not worry about it or put it up on a stand and open them back up? Or are the valves one way and i just have to wait until pressure builds again?

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2007 - 04:32 PM

They aren't valves, they're holes, they work both ways, and yes, you should.

• YZfamily

Posted January 08, 2007 - 04:41 PM

I have the ones you just have to push down on! Very convient!

• mudhog426

Posted January 08, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Just when I thought I knew something :lol:
Thanks for the great info guys, you've done your good deed for the day:thumbsup:

• Birdy426

Posted January 08, 2007 - 09:30 PM

Thanks...I never thought about that...learn something new here every day.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.