Resistor swap

8 replies to this topic
  • matfoo426

Posted January 04, 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi,

I read in one of the threads, that JESTERCYCLE was talking about the resistor swap, to help his 426 kick better when its cold.

What is this mod? could someone help?

Matt

• 642MX

Posted January 04, 2007 - 12:23 PM

I never heard anything about a resister swap. :lol:

Are you refering to the blue wire mod?

• matfoo426

Posted January 04, 2007 - 01:26 PM

I dunno

It was under the thread with the "HOT CAM" mod, JESTERCYCLE said he swapped the resistors round, and he claimed he could kick the bike over from cold, using casual footwear

• ncmountainman

Posted January 04, 2007 - 03:17 PM

I dunno

It was under the thread with the "HOT CAM" mod, JESTERCYCLE said he swapped the resistors round, and he claimed he could kick the bike over from cold, using casual footwear

there is a resistor in line between the coil and spark plug(right above the plug on 03-0?,not sure where on the 00-02),the XR guys swear by removing it they run better,some say it'll damage your CDI if removed but the ones who have done it report no damage:excuseme: i've considerd removing it but have never tried:confused: i beleive they are there because of radio interference more than to protect the ignition(a resistor plug should be enough!)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2007 - 06:06 PM

That resistor is there to take the place of the resistor coil wire on the earlier models with a frame mounted coil. It wouldn't be what the OP was talking about, since the subject was a "resistor swap" for 426's, which did not have the plug boot/coil combo.

Modern Electronic ignitions can be subject to Electro Magnetic Interference, either radiated or inductive. The resistor, either as a component or the plug wire, needs to be there in case someone decides to put a non-resistor plug in the thing.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 05, 2007 - 06:55 AM

well after searching JESTERCYCLE resistor swap,it was the 963rd post in a 100 page epic that started in 2002 about the decomp cam!! anyways he just mentions that after doing it his bike started right up cold after having issues before doing the "resistor mod" never said what it was he did. i'm gonna PM him and ask:thumbsup:

• matfoo426

Posted January 05, 2007 - 08:05 AM

Thanks 4 the help guys:worthy:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:34 AM

well gray that was what he was talking about:bonk: he tells me the resistor is up in the plug boot and unscrews just like in the one piece coil/boot. i even made sure that it wasn't changed out to the newer coil....nope. i think i'm gonna try it and just make sure i don't use a non R plug:thumbsup: somethin'bout more crap inline than needed really bugs me(especially if replacing it'll allow easier starting,which he swears by in replacing the resistor with a piece of brass rod the same dimensions):lol:

• matfoo426

Posted January 09, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Let us know how u get on

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.